Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
cag2515

Send a message via Yahoo to Cag2515
Battery power what to do

Being a newbie and heading out for my second trip I've installed for 6 volt Interstate Batteries because I have a residential refrigerator and an inverter can I run my electric suburban water heater and refrigerated with inverter while traveling and hooked up to my pickup thanks in advance for any help and suggestions I have a 38 CK Cedar Creek by Forest River
Cag2515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:24 AM   #2

I read it twice, still lost.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:27 AM   #3

Are you saying you have done all this and giving as a tip to others? Or are you saying you want to do all this and wondering how it would work?

If you are asking how to wire 4 then you would need to do a Series/Parallel combo wire. Meaning you need to wire 2 sets (banks) in series and then wire those sets (banks) in parallel. This will double the voltage (to 12v) and the capacity.

Just not quite sure what you are asking/saying.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cag2515 View Post
Being a newbie and heading out for my second trip I've installed for 6 volt Interstate Batteries because I have a residential refrigerator and an inverter can I run my electric suburban water heater and refrigerated with inverter while traveling and hooked up to my pickup thanks in advance for any help and suggestions I have a 38 CK Cedar Creek by Forest River
Do you have solar to replenish those batteries?

Electric water heater is at least 1000 watts.

I would advise propane for water heater to allow fridge to have your batteries for a longer period.

Also, once you heat up the water, the tank is insulated and it will stay hot for quite a while.

Good luck on the trip!

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cag2515 View Post
The "." and "," keys on your device are not working. lol
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC75 View Post
The "." and "," keys on your device are not working. lol
The capital key is also not working. I don't know why people have decided to not use proper grammer and punctuation anymore. It really helps to make the written word understandable. I'm betting he has an iPhone.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
TGR

Don't run your water heater while traveling to your campsite. If you need hot water while on the road or boondocking, use your propane to heat the water, not the inverter. The water heater uses too much energy on AC unless you are plugged in at your campsite.

You should be fine traveling with your refer running on the inverter if you start out each day with fully charged batteries and your TV charging the battery while underway. Someone with a setup similar to your will have to advise you on how long you can run without connecting to AC power but I would expect more than day.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod2Vibe View Post
Do you have solar to replenish those batteries?

Electric water heater is at least 1000 watts.

I would advise propane for water heater to allow fridge to have your batteries for a longer period.

Also, once you heat up the water, the tank is insulated and it will stay hot for quite a while.

Good luck on the trip!
I concur No WAY your batteries will hold up well on Electric Water Heater--
EVER. The electric Frig lets you stay off Propane while traveling which many think is good fire safety but you do not need the hot water on all the time and on batteries the WH will kill the batteries in about one third the time it would take for the Frig alone to kill them. Heat with Propane unless you are on a good hook up

And NO I DO NOT HAVE HIGH Confidence in the Automotive Generator to replace high battery use during travel
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Water heater draws 9 to 13 amps on electric.
Good luck with that considering you want to run the fridge to! Lol
If you must run water heater during travel then I'd put it in gas mode.

Only way this would be reasonably possible is if wh was already to temp.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
I concur No WAY your batteries will hold up well on Electric Water Heater--
EVER. The electric Frig lets you stay off Propane while traveling which many think is good fire safety.......
OP has a residential fridge so propane is not an option. For water heater it is an option so I would definitely stay on propane there unless shore power is an option.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
Are you saying you have done all this and giving as a tip to others? Or are you saying you want to do all this and wondering how it would work?

If you are asking how to wire 4 then you would need to do a Series/Parallel combo wire. Meaning you need to wire 2 sets (banks) in series and then wire those sets (banks) in parallel. This will double the voltage (to 12v) and the capacity.

Just not quite sure what you are asking/saying.
IF I am reading right he already installed the batteries.

I think he wants to run his household type refrigerator and his hot water heater off of an inverter while traveling. He also wants to know if the truck will keep the batteries charged.

I have a question, why are you running the HW? It will heat up in 15 minutes when you get on shorepower.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to redjet
I assume you mean FOUR (not for) 6v Interstate batteries. Why 6 V batteries? A 6V Interstate has 232 CCA, two in series (12V) is 464. A Group 27 Interstate 12V battery is 600 CCA and will carry a continuous 15 Amp load for 5.5 hours. Two in parallel will be close to 11 hours. No such data for the 6V. Again, assuming Four batteries - where in the world are you putting them? My Cardinal battery bay is pretty full with two Group 27 batteries.

What is the capacity of the inverter? This should be in the area of 1500 - 2000W just to handle the refrigerator. Nothing else (water heater, etc.) should be plugged into the inverter.

2016 Cardinal 3850RL - 7/31/15
2020 Ford F150 - 3.5L EcoBoost - Lariat - 4X4
2018 Club Car - Gas - Lifted
redjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:19 PM   #13

I too, am confused. I run my refrigerator on the batteries. I installed a second 12 volt battery in parallel. I use an invertor to get 120 volt to the refrigerator. Having a second battery is great.
gbecker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
The capital key is also not working. I don't know why people have decided to not use proper grimmer and punctuation anymore. It really helps to make the written word understandable. I'm betting he has an iPhone.
And the "a" key must not be working on your device either.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:23 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
If you must run water heater during travel then I'd put it in gas mode.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"

Quote:
OP has a residential fridge so propane is not an option. For water heater it is an option so I would definitely stay on propane there unless shore power is an option.
I didn't say the fridge, I said water heater.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Old 08-31-2015, 01:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjet View Post
I assume you mean FOUR (not for) 6v Interstate batteries. Why 6 V batteries? A 6V Interstate has 232 CCA, two in series (12V) is 464. A Group 27 Interstate 12V battery is 600 CCA and will carry a continuous 15 Amp load for 5.5 hours. Two in parallel will be close to 11 hours. No such data for the 6V. Again, assuming Four batteries - where in the world are you putting them? My Cardinal battery bay is pretty full with two Group 27 batteries.

What is the capacity of the inverter? This should be in the area of 1500 - 2000W just to handle the refrigerator. Nothing else (water heater, etc.) should be plugged into the inverter.
Wow that was confusing. A good six volt golf cart batt is from 210 amp to 240 amp unlike 12s where two doubles that, two sixes in series doubles voltage but still the 210 or 232 amps. The grp 27 batts are normally 90 to 105 amps and two double that. Big benefit is 6v is designed to be deep cycle discharged and 12v 's not so much.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I didn't say the fridge, I said water heater.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
You did but I was responding to Tom 48 (as I put his quote in my post) not you. ???
Old 08-31-2015, 01:31 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
You did but I was responding to Tom 48 (as I put his quote in my post) not you. ???
Shoot, I thought you quoted me, I apologize.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Old 08-31-2015, 01:32 PM   #19

Battery Power What to do

OK. I think you mean that you have (4) 6 volt batteries and an inverter and wonder about both your refrigerator and your water heater while travelling. First, you need the inverter to keep your frig going while travelling and the batteries, combined with the alternator should do that nicely. Put your hot water heater on propane...or just turn it off. I doubt that your inverter will handle both the frig and hot water at the same time anyway, but electric hot water from an inverter is pretty out there. Put it on propane or keep it turned off until you hook up to 110V at the campground.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjet View Post

What about something like this?

MK Battery | 6 Volt 200 AH Deep Cycle AGM RV & Marine Battery

915 cranking amps, 200 AH. Not bad and are AGM so no spilling or gas from charging because they are sealed.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power