Old 09-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #1

Be careful out there

Just a quick note to wish you all safe travels!

We had a very close call on the 8th of this month. We were heading out from our place here in British Columbia on a two week trip to the prairies (Alberta and Saskatchewan) to visit family.

We got on the inland Island Highway (divided hwy) and were cruising at 90 km / 55 mph. An opposing logging truck blew a tire and dived in to the concrete meridian, concrete flying everywhere. The chains snapped and logs went flying, two in our direction.

By the time the two logs hit us we were stopped, however the logs were still travelling at about 40 mph.

We sustained a fair amount of damage to the driver side front end of the truck and to the driver side axels of the 5th wheel trailer. Both are in the sick bay for a week or so.

We both are fine, my wife a bit soar and are getting massage and physio treatments. The logging truck driver even walked out of his unit. That no one was hurt is a miracle.

Here is a clip showing the severity from our local news Logging truck crash closes part of Inland Island highway | CHEK

What are your opinons on the integrity of the hitch (Hijacker Autoslide) and the Glide Ride Pinbox after a blow like this?

Sometimes it does not matter how slow and safe one drives. We will be back on the road once our unit comes out of sick bay, heading for Baja, Mexico.

Wishing you all safe travels.

Here are some images from my FB page: hope they come through.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...78&oe=5661E2B4

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e1&oe=56A96679

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...bb&oe=56A83EE6

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...85&oe=56A7E8FA

Pony: 2017 Dodge 3500 Longhorn 4x4, Quad Cab
Harness: Hijacker 24-AS-18 Autoslide, Demco Glide Ride Pin Box
Chuckwagon: 2011 Rockwood 8265WS
Travel Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #2

You really do have so much to be grateful for. What a scary experience! I'm so glad no one was hurt and I hope the damage to your vehicle and rv are minimal.

2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #3

Yea those close calls are scary. We had tanker truck run a stop sign on a exit ramp and we were lucky enough to be on inside lane. Could have been worse cause we had just picked up Our camper from dealership getting work done on It
Old 09-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #4

Wow! Thank goodness everyone is okay.
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #5

So very glad that you are all ok. Everything else is replaceable but you. I guess the vacation is done but more to come.
You did a nice job on TV also.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
So glad you are OK!
=================================
http://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Glad that you're OK. But this completely unexpected is what makes me shake my head when people say, "I'm a safe driver and will never be in an accident."
Old 09-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #8

Re: your question about the hitch and pin box, I'd want/demand insurance pay for both to be replaced. I have no idea what a log traveling at 40 MPH could do, but I'm sure it wouldn't be good. Also be sure they check the integrity of the frame in the pin box area for cracked welds/bends.
Glad you're safe!
Brian
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #9

Reminds me of a similar experience...I was driving on Interstate 80 near SF on the way to the airport. Someone pulled in front of a logging truck which was in an adjacent lane, and then slammed on the brakes. I was right next to the truck, which then slammed on his brakes and the log filled trailer started to jackknife towards the rear of my vehicle. I saw the logs coming at me in my rear view and sped up, just got away in time. The jackknife and log spilling closed down the hwy for a while.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
Reminds me of a similar experience...I was driving on Interstate 80 near SF on the way to the airport. Someone pulled in front of a logging truck which was in an adjacent lane, and then slammed on the brakes. I was right next to the truck, which then slammed on his brakes and the log filled trailer started to jackknife towards the rear of my vehicle. I saw the logs coming at me in my rear view and sped up, just got away in time. The jackknife and log spilling closed down the hwy for a while.
5 or 6 years ago, that's almost exactly how an accident occurred on I-70 - traffic was backed up on one side of the highway, so someone made a u-turn at one of the "authorized vehicles only" cut throughs. They pulled in front of a truck carrying something big and heavy. It slammed its brakes and swerved to avoid them and ended up losing its load. The load hit another set of cars- one of which the occupants died. The car that cut through and caused it wasn't involved and didn't stop.