Old 03-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
Just learned this morning that the victims of this fatal TV-TT crash were related to a coworker who is also a fellow camper. I have encountered ladders in the road more times than I care to as well and worse. As the season gets into full swing with everyone looking toward Spring - travel safe!
Travel safe is right. We have seen a ladder fly out of a pickup -- twice. Our hearts go out to his wife, as well. Another point we'd like to take this opportunity to make is being vigilant as to semi trucks blowing their tires. Everyone has seen the "alligators" on the road; however, we were in the process of passing a rig when the tire started to smoke and blew bits and pieces of rubber up and over our windshield. We made it by with no incident, but it could have been worse.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #12

I have learned that the deceased was a well-loved, popular, and jovial person who enjoyed life and had great interest in promoting safety. As I learned from my coworker, he was the VP of Long Island ABATE. For those of you who ride, you know what ABATE is and does.

It is a tragic accident that I hope we can all resist armchair analyses of should have, could have, or would have.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #13

BE CAREFUL especially in the Jacksonville area ,people there have no respect for anyone else, I have been "cut off" there more than anyplace else that I have travelled. Plus the fact that 2 major interstates , I10 and I95 converge there and Naval bases to boot.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #14

Lets get back to the Topic folks. A gentleman lost his life, that is very sad. we do not any more details, ladder, overweight or the wrong type of tires don't really matter.
We need to be careful when driving or towing the roads are hazardous.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Lets get back to the Topic folks. A gentleman lost his life, that is very sad. we do not any more details, ladder overweight or the wrong type of tires don't really matter.
We need to be careful when driving or towing the roads are hazardous.
Agree 100%. It seems that every accident involving an rv, someone has to bring up the weight issue regardless, like this swerving to avoid a ladder.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #16

Having traveled the 401 from Durham region into downtown Toronto for 30 plus years I have seen lots of near accidents and a few fatal accidents. You can NOT drive distracted ever, it only takes a second for something to happen.( I am not saying this driver was)
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #17

There but for the grace...

I was on that exact stretch around Friday noon.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:47 PM   #18
Love RVing

Just last week wife and I were driving on a County road in Dade County Florida when we crossed a rough RR crossing followed by rough Bridge crossing and the factory welded hitch carrier for my electric wheelchair broke on back of our CK 5th wheel and began dragging the carrier on pavement. First we were thankful we were not in center lane of I-85 downtown Atlanta like December 2014 at 55mph when different weld on same carrier broke.
As before good people showed up and helped us back on "That Old Dusty Trail".
Thanks again to Dade County Employees who went out of their way to help.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #19

I see all kinds of construction materials and equipment on the road in central FL, but I also saw some this week on the Mass Turnpike. Where you are in the country makes little difference when tradesmen just throw things on/in their trucks. We can only drive looking as far down the road as possible, slowing as necessary.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #20

Which leads me to another question (maybe should start a new thread just for this)
around here we have a lot of deer hits. It is advised to not swerve to avoid hitting especially in wintery icy snow packed roads. Can be fatal, better off to just hit deer.
human impulse or instinctual survival will put you in automatic swerve mode.
As you read this logic may tell you something else, however when a deer crossed in front of me I too naturally swerved.

Questionis; How do you reprogram your brain to override natural impulse reflex?