Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

Exclamation Be careful out there folks!

Just learned this morning that the victims of this fatal TV-TT crash were related to a coworker who is also a fellow camper. I have encountered ladders in the road more times than I care to as well and worse. As the season gets into full swing with everyone looking toward Spring - travel safe!

FHP: Ladder in road caused deadly I-95 crash
Old 03-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #2

Wow. that is scary. thanks for posting.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #3

This is so heartbreaking, my thoughts and prayers go out to his wife.
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #4

Heartbreaking. This very thing was a topic of discussion on a motorcycle forum I follow just yesterday. At the time, I thought it would be a rare occasion for a ladder to fall from a truck, but now I need to reassess those beliefs and plan ahead for both bike and RV.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
Anacortesians

Whoever dropped the ladder should get an "unsafe load" ticket and maybe even something for causing a death.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
Site Team

Not to beat a dead horse, but it's things like this that scare me when someone says " Yeah I might be a little over weight, but I have been towing like this for years with no problems."

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #7

I was waiting to see who brought up the weight issue when they have no idea what the rig was. Accidents can happen to a rig that is setup properly. My thoughts and prayers also go to his wife.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I was waiting to see who brought up the weight issue when they have no idea what the rig was. Accidents can happen to a rig that is setup properly. My thoughts and prayers also go to his wife.
You misunderstood my point. This was in no way intended to mean that this accident was the result of improper towing as I do not know the details. It was meant to imply that it is things like a ladder in the road that need to be considered when making decisions as to what one can tow. It is unfortunate that this happened no matter what the circumstances. I have seen my share of ladders and other equipment in the road over the years and also seen the results. These experiences determine my towing speed, and margin.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #9

In Fl. it is normal to find a ladder in the road. Many trucks drop items and keep going.
Caution when driving in Fl. is 1st. Sorry to hear about this.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
In Fl. it is normal to find a ladder in the road. Many trucks drop items and keep going.
Caution when driving in Fl. is 1st. Sorry to hear about this.
My hubbie and I are planning a big trip to and in Florida this coming September and this story will definitely be etched in my mind. Really, this is now in my mind no matter where I go or what I'm driving.

I once ran over construction debris on a major busy freeway that caused a blow-out and other undercarriage damage and I am so grateful that is all that happened, could have been so much worse. Some call me an 'old' person driver because I keep my speed at or below max and leave plenty of room to respond, but sometimes there just isn't enough time to maneuver or come to a stop in order to avoid a situation. No matter how hard you try, you can't control other people who are careless and sometimes things just happen. Do your best and leave the rest.
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
Just learned this morning that the victims of this fatal TV-TT crash were related to a coworker who is also a fellow camper. I have encountered ladders in the road more times than I care to as well and worse. As the season gets into full swing with everyone looking toward Spring - travel safe!
Travel safe is right. We have seen a ladder fly out of a pickup -- twice. Our hearts go out to his wife, as well. Another point we'd like to take this opportunity to make is being vigilant as to semi trucks blowing their tires. Everyone has seen the "alligators" on the road; however, we were in the process of passing a rig when the tire started to smoke and blew bits and pieces of rubber up and over our windshield. We made it by with no incident, but it could have been worse.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #12

I have learned that the deceased was a well-loved, popular, and jovial person who enjoyed life and had great interest in promoting safety. As I learned from my coworker, he was the VP of Long Island ABATE. For those of you who ride, you know what ABATE is and does.

It is a tragic accident that I hope we can all resist armchair analyses of should have, could have, or would have.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #13

BE CAREFUL especially in the Jacksonville area ,people there have no respect for anyone else, I have been "cut off" there more than anyplace else that I have travelled. Plus the fact that 2 major interstates , I10 and I95 converge there and Naval bases to boot.
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Lets get back to the Topic folks. A gentleman lost his life, that is very sad. we do not any more details, ladder, overweight or the wrong type of tires don't really matter.
We need to be careful when driving or towing the roads are hazardous.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Lets get back to the Topic folks. A gentleman lost his life, that is very sad. we do not any more details, ladder overweight or the wrong type of tires don't really matter.
We need to be careful when driving or towing the roads are hazardous.
Agree 100%. It seems that every accident involving an rv, someone has to bring up the weight issue regardless, like this swerving to avoid a ladder.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #16

Having traveled the 401 from Durham region into downtown Toronto for 30 plus years I have seen lots of near accidents and a few fatal accidents. You can NOT drive distracted ever, it only takes a second for something to happen.( I am not saying this driver was)
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #17

There but for the grace...

I was on that exact stretch around Friday noon.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:47 PM   #18
Love RVing

Just last week wife and I were driving on a County road in Dade County Florida when we crossed a rough RR crossing followed by rough Bridge crossing and the factory welded hitch carrier for my electric wheelchair broke on back of our CK 5th wheel and began dragging the carrier on pavement. First we were thankful we were not in center lane of I-85 downtown Atlanta like December 2014 at 55mph when different weld on same carrier broke.
As before good people showed up and helped us back on "That Old Dusty Trail".
Thanks again to Dade County Employees who went out of their way to help.
burse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #19

I see all kinds of construction materials and equipment on the road in central FL, but I also saw some this week on the Mass Turnpike. Where you are in the country makes little difference when tradesmen just throw things on/in their trucks. We can only drive looking as far down the road as possible, slowing as necessary.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #20

Which leads me to another question (maybe should start a new thread just for this)
around here we have a lot of deer hits. It is advised to not swerve to avoid hitting especially in wintery icy snow packed roads. Can be fatal, better off to just hit deer.
human impulse or instinctual survival will put you in automatic swerve mode.
As you read this logic may tell you something else, however when a deer crossed in front of me I too naturally swerved.

Questionis; How do you reprogram your brain to override natural impulse reflex?
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote