Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
Retired

Be Kind to Tractor Trailer Drivers

We had just left Pumpkin Patch RV Resort in Hermon, Maine (awesome place) and was headed south on I95 when a 18 wheeler pulled up beside us with his passenger window down, horn blowing and pointing to the top of our TT and then pointing to the breakdown lane. My DW caught a glimpse of the forward MaxxAir vent cover flopping in the breeze. We pulled into the breakdown lane and ....well have you ever been on top of your TT in the breakdown lane of an interstate checking things out. Fortunately Dysart's Truck Stop (great food) was the next exit where I could safely be on the roof and remove the vent cover. The MaxxAir was hanging on by one self-tapping screw the others had literately disappeared...pulled through the vent housing...the fix will be SS bolts with self locking nuts.
SO...be good to those tractor trailer drivers as you pull your TT down the highways.

Happy Trails
Old 10-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #2

Not as many as in the `50's and `60's, but there are still some 'Blue Knights of the Highways' out there.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
Always Learning

Of the horror stories you hear online, I've only had good experiences with truckers.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

As a motorcyclist (and RVer) on the super slab, truckers have always been good.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Can't say as much in GA or for that matter other states. Most are rude and could care less about you. As I've been cut off several ties by them I really have no big respect for most of them now days. They are kind of like most 4 wheelers also. My road look out for me. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Of the horror stories you hear online, I've only had good experiences with truckers.
X2!
And for every horror story about truck drivers they probably have 20 horror stories about inconsiderate and dangerous "non commercial" drivers

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #7

I work in the shipping business and have direct contact with plenty of truck drivers. IMHO, there are plenty of both kinds. It's the ones that barely have any grasp of english that make my job miserable some days.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #8

I try to give courtesy to truckers. I am more mindful especially when I am pulling.

However, the one thing that irritates me every time, is when I am about to pass them (not pulling) clearly going 10-15 MPH faster and they pull over right in front of me and take 5 miles to pass another truck...going up a hill.
That is inconsiderate.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #9

After pulling a 5th wheel for almost 20 years (probably upwards of 150k mi) I have to respect the restraint of most big rig drivers. The 4 wheeler drivers who have never driven a big tow have no idea of just how aggravating and dangerous their "squirrel" driving really is. I try to tell those who will listen that their cars are smaller, faster, more agile and can stop quicker so stay as far away as possible from any towing rig. They have far, far fewer options.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #10

Tractor Trailer Drivers

Here's my 2 cents worth. My first five years of career were in the transport business. Owned my first highway truck at 17 and by 25 still loved it but decided it wasn't my career. Like all vocations, 90% of these guys are super and will do anything for you. The other 10% (non strategic survey 😄 ) not so much. The thing us RV folk have to remember is they are driving down the road to put a meal on the table or make thier next truck payment , unlike us who are pursuing our hobby, life long dream etc etc. ALWAYS give them a break if you can. When I'm traveling on 2 lane road ( which is most of the time ) and these guys show up, at the first opportunity I let them pass. DONT drive out onto the highway in front of the, it's unsafe and dangerous for us and at the least inconvenient for them.
Ok, if I can get down off my soapbox without putting my back out Ill be a happy guy 😃
Just sayin.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #11

Don't have mush trouble with OTR truckers, just the auto driving jackasses who pull in front of you and then slow down. Most of us have the stopping distance of the Queen Mary. They have no concept of stopping distance or space requirements. I've had idiots blocking a driveway exit demanding I back up so he can get in, not realizing I need that space to get out without pulling the trailer over the curb and bushes, fence, etc. My rant's over now. Ya'll have a nice day now!
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #12

Bravo Filterman!!
My father drove truck for nearly 50 years!! Most people would not believ some of the insane stories Dad told of years on the road. I realize there are plenty of horrible drivers behind the wheel of ANY vehicle, but for the most part 18 wheelers are the best of the bunch, so indeed...cut them a break!!
Just sayin
HercMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhnter View Post
I try to give courtesy to truckers. I am more mindful especially when I am pulling.

However, the one thing that irritates me every time, is when I am about to pass them (not pulling) clearly going 10-15 MPH faster and they pull over right in front of me and take 5 miles to pass another truck...going up a hill.
That is inconsiderate.
Hey, Bowhnter, I saw that move in actual fact on Sunday pulling the southbound J&J hill in south Sherman.

On the other hand, when I'm towing I pay particular attention to the single units approaching these county highways from the side. When they see me, they apparently think, "Oh look. The guy in that pickup is pulling a trailer. I just KNOW he's running 6 mph and I have plenty of time to pull out in front of him." Well, maybe not!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #14

I always flash them at night. Wait, did I say that out loud?

I try to be courteous and flash my lights so they can safely get back in the lane and let others around. Never had any problem with them. We all need to work together.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, I've always told me daughters that if they are ever broken down on the highway there's three folks you can always trust....law enforcement, US Military, and truck drivers!

(And we've been to Dysarts in Bangor, Maine on our last visit home...wicked good food but WAY too much!!!)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #16

There are good and bad on both sides. All you have to remember is, be nice.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #17

I have a sign in my back window that says "My family drives trucks. Be courteous to all truck drivers." I get a lot of waves when they pass. My biggest complaint is not getting a thank you when I flash my lights to let them over, especially of they gave to come over quickly.
dunk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhnter View Post

That is inconsiderate.
A big AMEN to everything you said. Plus the ones that get side by side with another one and slow down from 70 to 50-55 and just drive that way for miles and miles on flat land. It's getting to be quite a common occurrence any more.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #19
Done with this

Just remember, the "old school" drivers, like me are getting few and far between. We used to have a good time, but now.....not so much. The cell phone age and computers are taking the fun out of trucking. I'm about ready to hang it up myself.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:00 PM   #20
txkreddog

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Can't say as much in GA or for that matter other states. Most are rude and could care less about you. As I've been cut off several ties by them I really have no big respect for most of them now days. They are kind of like most 4 wheelers also. My road look out for me. Later RJD
Agree, most 18 wheel drivers in my experience have been no better, or worse, than 4 wheelers. The ones I try to avoid are tanker trucks and cow haulers. The speed limits and following distances don't seem to apply to them. DW is district court clerk, and these type of vehicles get more citations than the rest. Paying by the mile encourages speeding and dangerous hours. That said, like most anything, generally I am treated with the same respect I give others.
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer