Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
One issue I had while looking at the Grand Design was they will not make any changes, I wanted to up grade axles, tires and brakes and even tho the rep agreed on why I wanted to this they would not do it, heck I hate those vessel sinks they use and they would not even change that and at that time was willing to sign papers, glad I waited as we really like our new River Stone Legacy.

Fortunately they offer Goodyear G614s as an upgrade, though their price is a bit high for it.

I would plan on an immediate switch to MorRyde's IS and disc brakes. I'll just figure that into the cost with whatever dealer I go with (which will likely be someone in Indiana to get it all done at one fell swoop).

But yeah- lack of changes would be frustrating. Minor things are so useful down the line.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #22
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Might have been the heritage glen that had the rear living room and mid bunks. Very nice but at 42' and 2600+ pin weights out of my wheel house... But probaly in yours.

Yeah, I'm good on length - I'm already pulling 42' around.

Weights... well, I might have to trade teams a little. [emoji23]
Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontario_camper View Post
It doesn't help you, but we were just at an RV Show last week and looked at Grand Design Imagine travel trailers. We found them to be excellent quality/very functional layouts and are leaning towards purchasing one down the road.

I'm starting to follow some Facebook groups to see the good and bad. While their quality seems better, at the end of the day- they're still built by hand and use too many crappy Lippert components.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #24
(Dry Huunday)

The 2 Young Ladies I was mentioning included your Bride!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
The 2 Young Ladies I was mentioning included your Bride!

And that's why I live in the doghouse!!!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #26
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
And that's why I live in the doghouse!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We spent time looking at Grand Design again at the RV show last weekend. The price offered for our trade was unbelievable and the trailer cost for new was good as well.
The 384 RD model meets our needs. I like Grand Design finishes, basement storage. Looking at Big Horn again The GD we looked at had G Tires and the Big Horn actually has H tires on a 37 ft Fiver, they say it is meant to run the road with no issues.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #28
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Time to visit an RV show. I'm sure with your moving around you are bound to run into one. I saw several good layouts when we attended the RV show here in Atlanta but unfortunately I do not recall the manufacture as I was not really looking to buy. One design that I looked at made me think of you full timing as it had a area built as a study for work and above that room was a bunk also. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #29
Just as confused as you

Though they are not FR products, the DW and I have been looking at a couple of these. They have several different layouts depending on your likes.

https://www.kz-rv.com/shop-by-brand/...th-wheels.html

These in particular:
My choice:
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/duran...s/G382MBQ.html
DW's choice:
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/duran...s/G380FLF.html
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #30

I saw a Blue Ridge 3720 BH that looks nice. If I should ever get a bunkhouse I want one with a half a bathroom
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #31

Quote:
I actually would likely opt for going without the electric beds and would just get a real bunk bed for back there.

The other side of the room would end up being IKEA closets/wardrobes. It likely wouldn't be a garage at all.

But, the under bed storage is much bigger and this one has a loft above the garage. We think we would use that space like an attic storage.

But until we see one in person, it's hard to say.
We recently purchase a Grand Design Reflection, there are a lot of full timers in the Momentums. Check out the Grand Design Owners Face Book pages. That group is very much like the FROG Forum. Lots of helpful information. Saw quite a few Momentums at a recent Grand Design Rally. Think you'd be very happy.

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #32

Just my wife and I and agree with OP an additional 1/2 bath would be great. Dinner guests or ?? would not need to use the master. No need for bunks but looking at a couple front living room models. We do not need the sleeping room but these often can sleep a bunch. Two sleeper sofas in addition to recliners up front. A loft at the top of the stairs is great storage but can sleep one or two more. The man (or woman) cave has another sleeper sofa then a king in the bedroom at the rear. I like the front LR set up and like the man cave. All are 42' - 43'. If one had a half bath I'd already own one ~~ still searching.......
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:15 PM   #33

Come on over to the dark side (Grand Design) Doug. Good luck in your searching. I thank this forum for finding our Grand Design Imagine trailer.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
"I get that I'm supposed to be "camping" but we were never "campers" in this thing. For us, it's a rolling hotel room/now apartment."

"not really sure if the toy hauler would be the best route to go, just never feel the livability is there and full timing as you are even worse."

All RVs involve compromises that seem to be best resolved by knowing what is most important to your intended use and letting go of some things.

As to quality IMHO, Grand design is way up there and way beyond entry level, what I would call on the gray line of middle to top end.

Unfortunately, trying to do it all seems to be the issue to resolve as I read it, not Grand Design or the floorplan.

What is most important? Entertaining or the kids? Probably changing over time. If kids, toy hauler. When the kids stop coming, then entertaining. Go over to your neighbors couch in the meantime.

You probably have at least 3 RVs to buy, eventually. What is the 3rd? Downsizing to a B or B+ as you get older and you would rather destination travel than entertain.
I completely agree. Campers are like motorcycles. I'd need at least 3 of them in my stable to get what I want at any one point in time. So I settle for what most needed at any one point in time. I need a bunkhouse when my kids are little. A toy hauler when I'm older to roll the bikes in but I give up on living space. It's all a tradeoff. And you trade when it no longer suits your purpose.right now I have one bike that meets all my needs and desires. At this time. But if I need and want something different it's gone. It's not perfect, but perfect enough right now.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #35
Canadian Member

We were looking at the Grand Design models at the Toronto RV Show last weekend. The Reflection models have some unique floor plans and really nice design features but the quality disappointed me. An overhead cabinet door in the bedroom broke apart in my hand when I opened it.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #36

Quote:
We have 2 kids who I want to have their own bedroom so I'm typically looking for something with a master bedroom and a kid's room. For them, I need space for beds, closet for clothes, and storage for toys/play.

Then in the living room- I need dining room seating for at least 4, though 5 and 6 join us with some regularity. (Which, I also need an in-laws bed.) I like a real table vs the super sofa and little tables, we eat together almost every evening and it doubles as a desk for my kids' schooling.

And finally, I want something decent for entertaining with seats across from each other. While we don't watch a lot of TV, I would love for seating that faces it vs having to look to the side to watch.
Sounds like your requirements are close to ours. We will be fill timing in the next few months, so we have done tons of research and evaluated many brands. The two that were in the final cut are the GD and the Highland Ridge Highlander HF38RGR and the HF39RGL. They both had great construction and you could tell the insulation was better walking around in them on a warm day (the GD and Highlander were several degrees cooler than the Cyclones, Fuzions, etc.). Check out he floorplans....the 39 sounds like something close to what you are looking for....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	131332  
Old 03-07-2017, 11:08 PM   #37
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Though they are not FR products, the DW and I have been looking at a couple of these. They have several different layouts depending on your likes.

https://www.kz-rv.com/shop-by-brand/...th-wheels.html

These in particular:
My choice:
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/duran...s/G382MBQ.html
DW's choice:
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/duran...s/G380FLF.html

LOL, my family could never survive on 2,000 lbs of cargo carrying capacity. Once you add options, that'll eat up 400-600 of it!

Nice floorplans and am I ever jealous of folks who get to buy without kids! (Or at least I'm assuming that's your case.)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:10 PM   #38
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxdad View Post
Sounds like your requirements are close to ours. We will be fill timing in the next few months, so we have done tons of research and evaluated many brands. The two that were in the final cut are the GD and the Highland Ridge Highlander HF38RGR and the HF39RGL. They both had great construction and you could tell the insulation was better walking around in them on a warm day (the GD and Highlander were several degrees cooler than the Cyclones, Fuzions, etc.). Check out he floorplans....the 39 sounds like something close to what you are looking for....

The standards and options on that Highland are fantastic. From the 17.5" tires out of the gate to the dual pane windows being mandatory options. I definitely am looking at insulation values- right now to survive, we often Reflectix our windows to cut out heat entry. AND you can feel the walls radiating heat- they're often warm to the touch.

After that, I'm eyeing up cargo carrying capacity. We run heavy. I'd prefer it not be this way, but it's true.

That 39 looks great. Love the colors and look; but no 1/2 bath. Sadly, that's a killer for me.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #39

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
We were looking at the Grand Design models at the Toronto RV Show last weekend. The Reflection models have some unique floor plans and really nice design features but the quality disappointed me. An overhead cabinet door in the bedroom broke apart in my hand when I opened it.

We were there lol by at Columbus and Grand Design as well. The fit and finish in the Columbus was poor compared to grand Design. Even better fit and finish is on the Heartland Bighorn Elite. All the same price point. Bighorn is a much more advanced unit with many useful features. They even quite carrying capacity including water and state it as such. Found the Columbus only had E tires for the same weight as the G Goodyears on the Heartland Bighorn
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:11 AM   #40
Always Learning

Welp, headed up to Nashville to Cullum and Maxey dealership today to look at the 295M. If I like what I see, we'll swing by on Saturday as we head to Mammoth Cave so my wife can take a look. If she likes what she sees, we'll see what happens. We know we'll want to order whatever is next for us- we're way too picky to just pick something off of the lot.