Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #1

Before Leaving Your Campsite for the Day

I have oftened wondered, what happens to my trailer when I leave for the day, say on a day trip or on an extended shopping trip, etc? I don't know if I'm starting a poll or what! When I leave my site; knowing that I will be gone for a good part of the day; I always turn the water off, turn my electric water heater off, roll in the awning, place the outdoor chairs near or under the trailer, close the blinds(so the peeping toms can't see in) , may even fold my steps in if there is a chance of rain.

I try to only take out the sewer hose the one time or so that I dump the tanks. I know it is a common site in a campground but how many times do you actually use it in a weeks time? If you have lights hanging from the awning, you'll have to take them down to roll in the awning.

I know there was a thread going around pertaining to camping and rving. When I take a long trip; I tend to rv. If I travel a long distance to get there, I'm going to see what's there! I can sit at home. Now if I am taking a shorter trip where I will be at the site most of the time, well I camp(sit).

So here is the question: Before you leave your rig unoccupied on your site for the day or an extended part of the day, how do you prepare your camping rig?

HAPPY CAMPING!!!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #2

When we leave for the day we roll up the awning because you never know when a storm can pop up. I also put our chairs under the overhang of the fifth wheel and the lock the entry door. That’s it, water stays on, sewer stays connected, electric connected, and furnace or A/C on depending on the weather.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

We usually roll the awning in if it isn't staked down, shut the water heater off, shut the water off, fold the chairs and stow under camper, turn on the step light, lock the door and leave. Been doing it like this for yrs and have (knock on wood) never lost anything or had any disasters waiting for us when we returned. We are snow birds and camp in FL from late Nov/early Dec til late Feb/early Mar. Most rv parks are safer than your home as there is always someone around and watching. Besides that, they are all good people and know that something could happen to them also.
In the 50+ yrs we've been camping, tent, pickup camper & trailers, we have lost one 6 pack of Pepsi and later found out it was kids that were thirsty and they came back later that day with their parents with a replacement 6 pack and a lot of appologies. (Coerced no doubt)
Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #4

Roll in the awning, put the chairs under the camper, lock the door and away we go. Never heard of having to turn off the water, turn off the water heater, etc. You are, after all, coming back later in the day. Seems a bit excessive to go through all this when you'll only be gone a portion of the day. Did you have problems with water, etc. in the past?
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

No, but one of our camping neighbors did a couple of yrs ago. Line burst inside camper city water connection from someone stepping on or tripping on the hose while they were gone without knowing they had caused any problem.
Talk about total flooding. Someone evidently saw water dripping/running out of the camper and shut the water off at the hydrant. It was an older couple with an older camper and the hose barb on the inside of the water conn. broke, probably from age and flooded the inside.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #6

I do the awning, although its getting to the point I do not even put it out most of the time. Put the chairs way, lock up and leave. I understand the water due to unforseen problems when gone. But at what time frame do you draw the line to it. You said you turn the electric water heater off do you leave the propane on? If so why
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Turning off the wh is mearly pushing a switch, walk by the wh door and push another button. No big effort or is turning the city water faucet off. DW is usually folding the chairs while I do the turn offs. Propane is left on as no appliance is on other than the frig which is always on "Auto" for towing. The gas that is used there is very minimal. Even with camping in FL for 3-4 months, we have never emptied a 30# cyl. I have the low one filled in mid Nov and turn on the opposite one for that yr. Repeat it the next yr.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #8

Good point about the gas being left on, I could do that too! Nope, didn't think of that. The only thing we mainly use the gas is for the furnace in cold weather. Refer will be on electric, stove is used very sparingly. The DW likes to eat out alright! There I said it! And the water heater is also on elect. Why burn the gas when you are paying for a site? Use their electricity!

When I was a kid(long time ago) my Dad would have beat my butt if I had remotely walked near someonelse's site. Now kids will run around your rig like it's theirs! Well, maybe not that bad, but I have seen kids stumble over a power cord or water hose before in a site that is not theirs(just passing through).

I guess one of my points is, I would hate to come back to a flooded trailer. Or have my awning blown over, etc when I'm not there.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #9

We put the radio inside (most of the time) if it's out, lock the doors (if going away with the TV), and that's it.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #10

Water off....water heater off.....propane off.....just covering the bases.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #11

I never camp without a dining shelter. When I have to leave the campgroundI put everything inside the shelter. I turn of the water off If I have to leave for several hours.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
H2oski

Awning, electric water heater and water. Sometimes we lock it some times we don't just depends. A friend of mine came back and a water line had started leaking. Didn't flood his camper but made a mess.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
Steve Jackson

Just make sure you lock up. Had an iPod stolen out of my truck two weeks ago when the DW and I went for a walk.