Old 07-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #21

Over the last 40 years, we've had a tent trailer, travel trailer, Truck camper, class C motor home and now a 5th wheel. They all have their pros and cons. Least favorite was the truck camper, never felt stable. Class C was okay, but you're stuck if you don't have a toad.
If the only thing holding you back from towing a trailer or a 5th Wheel, I would suggest picking out what you want and then take a driving class. At 65 I took a class from RV Driving School. You can find them on the web. We met with our instructor and he took me out in our rig. We did almost every kind of driving you can think of. Taught me to back up our 5er, parking in parking lots, narrow streets, mountain and city driving.
I do all of the driving (husband has medical issues) in the last 4 years have logged about 15,000 miles.

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #22
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorn100 View Post
I'm getting totally confused...so much information and choices for RVs.

As a single woman (older), I'd like to get a small rv -- something most suitable for one person. Something reasonable to drive, to park (back up!) and to maintain. I'd need to buy used, I have limited funds; and I'd want something mechanically sound and easy to maintain.

I've driven a 25' box truck (no fun) but I've never towed anything. So is a 5th. wheel a reasonable choice?

I so appreciate your advice.
JJ Brown
I am in your shoes, and I bought a 24ft Class C Motorhome (2013 Sunseeker). I find it easy to handle and backing up is no problem, especially if you get a backup camera. The only thing I find inconvenient is the slideout for the bed, which I have to retract every time I want to break camp to go somewhere, no slideout would be simpler but less roomy. But for short excursions I use a bicycle instead of moving the MH. Another advantage of getting a MH vs. a trailer is that I can tow a boat trailer that way.

Or you could get a small trailer, it would definitely be cheaper and you would have your car/truck to get around while camping, but backing up is much more difficult when you are doing it by yourself. Of course your tow vehicle would have to be able to tow a trailer.

No matter what you get, you'll have to maintain the RV, which you will have to budget for also.

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #23
Canadian Member

I agree with Witch Doctor and Herk7769. An R-Pod might be perfect for the OP. She doesn't want a big vehicle so a Class C and maybe even a Class B are eliminated. An R-Pod can be towed by a decent sized SUV.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:18 PM   #24

How about an a-frame hard side pop-up? I'm in a Facebook group for a-frames and there are a lot of women that camp in them by themselves--I have gone by myself too. Some come with auto roof assists, some don't. If you don't get the HW (high-wall) they are pretty light and easy to tow.

This link is for FR Rockwood, but they have Flagstaff (really no difference in contruction) too:

Rockwood Hard Side Pop-Up Campers Folding Camping Trailers by Forest River RV
Old 07-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #25

I think the lady needs to stay away from RV sales people and sit down to talk with a seasoned RVer. One that has had many of what she could be considering. How is she going to use it, how far, how long, and her comfort level. Does she want to put up with canvas? What climates will she be in? What is her TV? Is she claustrophobic? Pets, # and size? Before I could suggest anything I'd need to talk to this newbie for an hour or more.
Surprised no one mentioned a HI-LO being built again in PA.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #26

As a woman who occasionally travels in our RV alone, I would like to add a comment. When a woman travels alone there is a safety concern to take into consideration. If you feel unsafe somewhere and you're in a towable, you would have to get out and get into your car/truck to get to a safer environment. In a Class B or Class C you can just drive away without ever exiting the rig.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:56 PM   #27
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffwmn View Post
As a woman who occasionally travels in our RV alone, I would like to add a comment. When a woman travels alone there is a safety concern to take into consideration. If you feel unsafe somewhere and you're in a towable, you would have to get out and get into your car/truck to get to a safer environment. In a Class B or Class C you can just drive away without ever exiting the rig.
So true! Of course that is assuming your slideout is not out and you're not connected to anything (electric, water, sewer). When I was asked what I would do in THAT case, I said I would lean on the horn to attract attention.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #28
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
The FR R-Pod is a GREAT option and they are real easy to back.

r-pod Travel Trailers by Forest River RV
X 2 Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:19 PM   #29

*Warning Topic Hijacking*

Having said that....I cannot recall in our 20+ years of camping ever being in a situation where I felt unsafe - I am sure those places are out there, but we have never experienced them.

Realize this is off-topic on what to buy, but before anyone stays at a unfamiliar park - do like we do: look them up on rvparkreviews.com, woodall.com, passportamerica.com, or rvillage.com just to name a few campground rating sites.

** Now, back on topic **

I second Herk's suggestion about R-pods I have helped park them (in the R-pod village) at Goshen in the past and a fair number of R-pod owners are single women.

If your tastes are leaning toward a Class C, take a look at the Sunseeker MBS 2400 series. Built on a Mercedes Benz chassis (and you know how reliable a Mercedes is )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #30
2011_ChaparralLite_270RKS

Opinion from another single, older lady

I agree with CaptnJohn. Hook up with rvers who know you and whom you trust and pick their brains. August 1, 2015, I retired at 68 and in October 2015, I purchased a fifth wheel and love everything about it except backing up (which I have taken on as a personal challenge - how difficult can this possibly be (famous last words).) I still cannot back up in my driveway by myself leaving enough room between the house balcony (for the slide) and the neighbors fence (for the camper steps) - but I'm getting better each time. I spent about 5 years checking out dog friends campers at dog shows and then after my purchase, traveled with two long time rvers on three practice trips before we all went out west for 6 weeks. Fantastic experience and I can't wait until I can back up by myself and go off wherever and whenever convenient for me. In 5 years, I may get a truck camper since I discovered the dog and I do not spend much time inside and the truck camper will remove the backing up issue (but is it too small with an active GSD?) I found that everyone comes out to help with the backing up and I have to politely ignore those whose signals I can't figure out and just trust whichever of my two mentors is helping me. So don't let anything get in your way in your selection, just make sure about how much room you really need and how much backing, hooking up, etc. you want to do. For a few years, I also rented a trailer at a campground (4 Paws Kingdom in North Carolina) and watched/helped others setup/teardown in order to get the feel of how icky is the sewer hose really, etc. Take your time making your decision and good luck!