Old 07-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #31

Interesting to read all the responses to the ladies post and all have valid comments, questions, etc. Depending on what she does with the RV, will certainly dictate what she would be best with. I am not a good passenger and I also like to go out when my husband does not, so I do all the driving of our combo (truck & 5th wheel trailer) (about 53 ft. when all hooked up) and do everything!! The comment re safety on your own is one that I certainly agree with. One of our RV club members bought a truck and camper and that is her main concern while travelling on her own - exciting the truck & around the back into the trailer. She is talking about selling the unit and getting a small motorhome for that reason. Friends have a small one (about 26ft.) and they do not tow a car - can take it and park it on most streets and in parking lots. When I travel on my own, I always stay in a campground or provincial park (state Park). One of the things I do do, is take the truck keys up to the bedroom with me and put them on the bedside table within reach and would hit the truck "panic" button in an emergency of any kind. That will set the truck horn a honkin!! I usually let people around me (check them out first)know that I am on my own and if they hear the horn going, to come fast or get help. Never had to do it but one never knows.
Good luck in making your decision and happy camping. It is a wonderful lifestyle and way to travel despite the frustrations of being a vehicle/trailer owner as almost all of us have experienced at some point in our Rving years!

Old 07-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #32

I wonder what ever happened?

larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorn100 View Post
I'm getting totally confused...so much information and choices for RVs.

As a single woman (older), I'd like to get a small rv -- something most suitable for one person. Something reasonable to drive, to park (back up!) and to maintain. I'd need to buy used, I have limited funds; and I'd want something mechanically sound and easy to maintain.

I've driven a 25' box truck (no fun) but I've never towed anything. So is a 5th. wheel a reasonable choice?

I so appreciate your advice.
JJ Brown
They actually make some real nice small 5th wheels . not FR that i know of . but it seems one brand i've seen as an AR-1 not sure if it's coleman or starcraft . very nice unit and just the right size for one older person lol
Old 07-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #34

AR-ONE MAXX - Starcraft RV
This one is 24' and i've seen even smaller ones
Old 07-26-2016, 07:19 PM   #35

You must first figure out how you will use the RV - where do you want to travel, for how long, full or part timing, and how much room you want or need. If you are going once in a while, an A-frame or casita may be just what you need. I personally would not want to hitch up and unhitch by myself. I would look at a Class B+ or Class C. Whether to take a TOAD is an individual preference. If you are staying put for more than a few days, it would be necessary to me to have one. There are several groups of wome who RV. RVing Women is one such group. Check out their forum. I'm sure they would be happy to give you advice.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
the fiberglass Casita is not a Forest River trailer, but it fits what you're looking for perfectly,...... at Casita rallies you'll find many single ladies towing their Casita and loving it,..... we sold ours to a single lady nearing retirement,...... at 17', ours was just too small for one of us, not both of us,......... I loved everything about it, low maint., light weight, and retains its value extremely well,...... a 30 yr.old regular tt is usually in someones back yard under a pine tree rotting away, but a 30 yr. old fiberglass Casita can easily be still in regular use and looking just like a brand new one,...... this is just my honest answer to your question.....

http://casitatraveltrailers.com/
A retired single lady near me has a Casita and loves it. They do hold their value. Manufactured near here.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #37

As a single female myself who travels alone, with my dogs, I chose a 25 ft. class C over buying a trailer or camper for safety reasons. You have to exit your vehicle and walk outside to get in a trailer/camper. No one can see me in my RV, or know that I'm alone, particularly in less desirable areas. I have to laugh because regularly, people assume a husband must be with me,somewhere, that I wouldn't be solo. I don't bother with a toad, 25 ft. is small and maneuverable enough to get around easily. Though, I do put a bike on the back sometimes. Along with a rear camera, I added rear bumper motion sensors(not expensive) to help me park since I don't have a "spotter." I have always been handy, but owning a trailer or RV will test you. I continue to learn alot on this forum.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
As a single female myself who travels alone, with my dogs, I chose a 25 ft. class C over buying a trailer or camper for safety reasons. You have to exit your vehicle and walk outside to get in a trailer/camper. No one can see me in my RV, or know that I'm alone, particularly in less desirable areas. I have to laugh because regularly, people assume a husband must be with me,somewhere, that I wouldn't be solo. I don't bother with a toad, 25 ft. is small and maneuverable enough to get around easily. Though, I do put a bike on the back sometimes. Along with a rear camera, I added rear bumper motion sensors(not expensive) to help me park since I don't have a "spotter." I have always been handy, but owning a trailer or RV will test you. I continue to learn alot on this forum.
Interesting on how you made things work for you. Never say no, I like the one a couple above your post about the truck keys. SMART...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:36 AM   #39

We own a 177 model R-Pod and I have camped by myself in it. I would highly recommend it for 3 main reasons - a bed that doesn't fold or slide; a bathroom of your very own and (a must have for me) A/C. There are many makes and models with and without slides. It's easy to tow. Not too hard to back up..... We have pulled ours with a mini van and a Jeep Liberty

I would also suggest checking out "Sisters on the Fly" a female camping support group.
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #40

I agree she can't go wrong with the R Pod. I have a friend that bought one, she travels all over with it by herself, she said she just loves it.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote