Old 07-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There was a cooler test I saw online, and it compared about 10 different coolers, of roughly the same size. Everything from styrofoam to high end models. While the high end models kept ice the longest, it was a Coleman or igloo that won overall.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #12

If you want the best cooler look at Frigid Rigid expensive and heavy. I have several Yeti's and Engel's they are worth the money if you use them.
Brute also makes a good product.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
Site Team

My comical answer: Only camp when it's real cold, and ice should last longer.

My perhaps helpful answer: You might can get some ideas from this youtube video. I liked them giving the empty weights of the coolers.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Get an icemaker ...
x2

We use an icemaker and rarely have to buy ice. Most countertop icemakers only make ice, they do not freeze it. As a result, you have to be around fairly often to dump the ice, every 90 minutes to 2 hours, before it starts melting. Once the basket fills up, empty the ice into a ziploc bag and throw it in the freezer. It takes a bit of effort to stay keep the ice stocked but we manage. The only problem we run into is when we do take a day trip or two during a week long stay. Once you get behind on the ice it's hard, if not impossible, to catch back up.

** Edit **
The ice chest we use is a Coleman Extreme and seems to keep ice for at least 24 - 30 hours provided we keep it out of the sun. We camp a lot in Texas so it's usually pretty warm.
Pullrite Superglide 16K Hitch
slide5r4fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #15

Between me & my son-in-law we have 3 of the coleman extremes and have been well please, usually takes a little extra ice 1st 24 hours then holds up real well for several days.

2010 Dodge Ram QC 2500 HD w/Cummins Diesel
2013 Salem Hemisphere Lite 346 QBUD
papamcgown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamcgown View Post
Between me & my son-in-law we have 3 of the coleman extremes and have been well please, usually takes a little extra ice 1st 24 hours then holds up real well for several days.
X2 I have a 75qt Coleman, and over a week of constant reloading of beverages and kids (5) in it every 5 min and not closing lid completely(by the end of the week they would see me and turn around and sit on the cooler to close lid ), we went through 70-80 lbs of ice. Started with 40lbs initially, added the rest through the week, and there was ice when I got back home. May sound like a lot, but I'm use to going through 2x that with may 150qt cooler in a weeks time.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #17

We had the same problems even when we had the pop up . When we got the TT we bought the large Domtic ice maker . Just have to empty it and we do . We pre bag some ice t home in 1 gallon zip locs .most of the time We never buy ice in july
E
We have the extreme coolers seem to work well .
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #18
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by albuilder View Post
Yeti the best. But pricey.

X eleventy

Yeti is the way to go. Sure, it's pricey, but is it really *that* pricey when you consider you're buying the less expensive ones over and over?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #19

I think a big factor should be the availability of ice where you are camping. I used to fish tournaments in the Bahamas out of Walkers Cay. Ice was sometimes scarce or non-existent, plus expensive. We used to use a Yeti or several of them and take as much ice as we could pack in them. We would leave the chests on the docks the whole time we were fishing, over several days, and always had ice even though they sat out in the Bahamian sun all day.

You want something for Texas, especially if you are boon docking look into that type of chest. If you take care of it, it will last forever as they are well made.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #20

[QUOTE="slide5r4fun;431681"]

x2

We use an icemaker and rarely have to buy ice. Most countertop icemakers only make ice, they do not freeze it. As a result, you have to be around fairly often to dump the ice, every 90 minutes to 2 hours, before it starts melting. Once the basket fills up, empty the ice into a ziploc bag and throw it in the freezer. It takes a bit of effort to stay keep the ice stocked but we manage. The only problem we run into is when we do take a day trip or two during a week long stay. Once you get behind on the ice it's hard, if not impossible, to catch back up.

X2. My ice maker keeps us in ice. It cost me $200 and I dont have to buy ice anymore. And I can use it at the house if I need a little more than my fridge can put out during a party.

2003 Four Winns Funship 214 Deckboat - Hawaiian Breeze
Av8orLou is offline   Reply With Quote