Old 07-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #21
Just Love to Camp
We gave up on a cooler and now bring a college fridge It rocks. Keep it plugged in the camper running load drinks at the house so they are cold when we get to the campground. Roll it out the camper when we get to the site and plug it in. Of course at night time it is hasped shut and locked to keep the beer bandits away

Camped 54 Night 2012
XLR Thunderbolt 386*12
"Bertha The LeadSled" is her name

2012 F450
TheFordes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
phat phrog stunt crew
an old metal coleman cooler works great too. sometimes new and improved are just key words for cheaply made/disposable.

dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
thanks for all the replies.....all of you make valid points and observations. after deliberating on it over a few drinks i have decided to order a custom graphic igloo yukon .......i hear they are decent for the cost and by having it plastered with my business logo i can order it through my shop and save even more .....well see if its worth it sure if it aint ill be on here complaining......and if its awesome the same.....

but i digress..

we had an icemaker, but like someone said it only makes dont KEEP it cold so you gotta be around to put it away or it will melt......i am to absent minded to remember and my wife is no that solution did not work out for us....gave it to my inlaws and it worked well for them....but she sat there all day collecting ice for thier cooler....i had better things to do....HAHAH

Our camper has a dorm style fridge in the outside kitchen....of course it does not run while traveling as its 110 only, but i have found that if you get it cold before you leave and pack it with cold drinks, they will stay pretty cold for 4-5 hrs in 90 degree heat easy....this style of fridge works well to KEEP things cold, but is craptastically slow at GETTING things cold from back to cooler/ice issue either way..

with so many rotomolded coolers like the yeti now out there i could not justify paying thier higher price tags....sure they are BEAR safe, but heck the only paws in my cooler are i dont need all the end i paid about 300$ for the igloo....if it is awsome that is great....and if not, ill leave it at the shop as a travel cooler for display drinks.....either way im sure it will get put to use.....but will it do what i want? that is the 300 dollar question...LOL

i would say i will still use the cheap ones, but honestly once the handles fail, they are pretty much usless to me.....i dont need nor want to fight a handless cooler on TOP of everything else i have to mess with camping....

anyway, thanks!!!!! and keep the responses coming.....still interested and entertained by what everyone does ...

2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #24
Down here in SE Texas, we use the cheap Igloo's with the wheels and handle, $25 each at Sam's. The larger ones, I also have a large Coleman but it is to heavy for me. I would have to put in place and then load it because I could not lift it when it is full. I would empty it when we got to the place to park and then move it. I can lift the smaller Igloos but we need two of them. Have you ever used blocks of ice vs bags of cubes? The seem to last longer but we mostly fill bags of ice from our home ice maker and store in our large freezer in our shed on our small ranch and then take then with us when we go. I am to cheap to pay for bags of ice.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #25
I got sick of buying ice so for Christmas last year my son got us a Emerson Ice maker. I love it! Yeah you have to empty it often or the ice will melt, I keep it on an outside table with the beer cooler next to it. As it fills the basket I just dump it right into the cooler. I fill it every night before bed and the ice stays through out the night. If we are gone for the day I will shut it off. Also, I keep my cooler and ice maker covered with small blankets or heavy folded towels to act as an extra level of insulation. Have yet to buy ice this year once we have hit the campground.
2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #26
I was defiant on buying one of the expensive coolers for years. I went through several lower end coolers camping, fishing, and hunting. I came across a deal; $125 for a 65 qt Yeti. It still was a hard decision at that price but I sprung for it. One of the best buys I've made. BTW, $125 was the wholesale cost of the cooler. That gives you an idea of the profit margin on the same cooler on sale for $300 at the big outdoor stores or specialty shops.
2012 Crusader 320RLT
2011 F250 Lariat 6.7L
2016 (19 Nights Camped/1348 Miles)
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #27
I am thinking of adding insulation to one of my old plastic it possible that i can build a franken-cooler that will hold ice for longer periods? We will see.
2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2015 Ram Bighorn 2500 6.4L
Nights Camped 2015: 28
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #28
Denver, CO
Originally Posted by albuilder View Post
Yeti the best. But pricey.
I have a Yeti an ir's awesome. got it on a special buy on the duramax forum ( i think).

I saw a pelican case cooler at costco that was even better maybe..

It's all about inches of insulation, and so there is no reason you can't do it yourself, especially if appearance is not an issue. go for about 4 inches of closed cell foam, as optimal.

Sailboat even use a vacuum evacuated insulation that has a huge R value per inch but VERY expensive.

Take pictures, let us know what u do...
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #29
We bring ice cube trays, make them over night for our drinks in the freezer. We make block ice at home for the cooler and top it off with bags of ice, since the cooler holds only soda, water, beer or what ever ,it works pretty well. The blocks usually last a couple of days, we just empty a little of the melted ice water out and add new ice when needed.
bmezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #30
I refuse to spent hundreds of bucks on any cooler. We camp and do several BBQ competitions as well as hit some drag races each summer. I've had my 3 coleman extreme coolers for over 10 years. The hinges aren't the best but between the 3 coolers I've replaced 1 hinge in that time. They keep ice great if you lead them right, close the lid and keep them in the shade. And, I'm still not close to the price of 1 Yeti.

2004 Wildcat 28BH
2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7CTD
fast murray is offline   Reply With Quote