Old 08-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #41
Plain Old Member

Yeti, got 3, love all of them. My favorite is the 35, but every now and then use the bigger one. Heavy sometimes, pricey, but once you own one, it's the last one you'll ever need to purchase. I don't see how you can tear one up. We too use an ice maker to keep them topped off, especially when fishing. Hadn't bought ice in a bag since I got the ice maker.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #42
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
^^^ thats a lot of money to keep your beer cold. shoot, thats a lot of beer period
yep it is. You can make it up in about 100years with less ice and cheap beer. You'd have to buy alot of beer, so there's an advantage there.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #43

I have a 30-year old Coleman "Steel Belted", that is finally beginning to wear out. The plastic in the top is cracking, and the plastic bottom is worn out from dragging it on the ground.

I have replaced the drain and the hinges twice, and I just finished patching the lid and the bottom with polyurethane caulk. It keeps ice for four to five days if I pre-cool it. I use the refreezable ice bags that come with medical supplies to precool, but they don't surround beer well enough to suit me.

My grown kids have fond memories of this thing, and I'm reluctant to toss it, plus it fits perfectly in the rack over the spare tire on my Wrangler!

I bought one of the Anniversary models of the Coleman for $125, and it ain't worth a darn! Money down the drain for a little cooler with an Anniversary logo on it. Friends bought the same cooler at Wal*Mart with no name on it for $35, and even they feel ripped off.

I go on a "Man Trip" twice a year to Jawbone Canyon In the Southern California High Desert, and we use Coleman Extremes for Beer, Soda, Water, and seats, and they last 8-10 years of very heavy use.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #44
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

yep it is. You can make it up in about 100years with less ice and cheap beer. You'd have to buy alot of beer, so there's an advantage there.
Yea, I guess its like the discussion about our TVs; gas or diesel - initial cost, fuel prices, operating costs. LOL

Cheers!
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #45

We bought an ice maker and a coleman 12V cooler... problem solved
Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #46

Just thought i would update my experience so far with my cooler quest......

i first purchased as i mentioned in a previous post an igloo yukon. ive only had it a month or so and have not EXTENSIVELY tested it in a long term camping situaton, but i will say its built sturdy and definantly holds ice better than my 30$igloo.....i do miss the wheels tho

i also recently recieved as a gift a Yeti 65 ... seems a little more hefty than the igloo...again i have not extensively tested it, but i had it on my patio outside with beer in it and it still had 35 degree water, with a lil ice , after about 8 days sitting out there..avg of 100 degrees outside....and the price was just right....LOL

as a side note, i have a custom wood cooler on my patio....basically made of 1x6 cedar planks to form a box with a rubbermaid tub inside to hold the drinks.....for insulation i just flipped the thing over after i built it and used 2inch foil backed foam to form an outer shell around the tub with a 2 inch gap....then i filled the 2inch gap with open cell spray foam....total cost was about 40....the only real insulation issue on this one is the lid....it just has a 2inch piece of foam cut to fit the inside of the lid when i close it.....anyway, my point is that this same cooler on my patio will hold drinks/ice for 3-4 days in texas summer heat (100 all the dang time)....just not super mobile nor would it last long banging around in my truck....

so im heading out this week camping and ill take my cheapie, the yukon, and the yeti and see how they compare....

so far i put a sea deck foam traction pad on my yeti, and its the bomb for using as a step to get in my lifted truck while im loading it..!! then when im done i just put the yeti in and lock it with a cable...pretty handy...

well see what happens....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
I have a 30-year old Coleman "Steel Belted", that is finally beginning to wear out. The plastic in the top is cracking, and the plastic bottom is worn out from dragging it on the ground.

I have replaced the drain and the hinges twice, and I just finished patching the lid and the bottom with polyurethane caulk. It keeps ice for four to five days if I pre-cool it. I use the refreezable ice bags that come with medical supplies to precool, but they don't surround beer well enough to suit me.

My grown kids have fond memories of this thing, and I'm reluctant to toss it, plus it fits perfectly in the rack over the spare tire on my Wrangler!

I bought one of the Anniversary models of the Coleman for $125, and it ain't worth a darn! Money down the drain for a little cooler with an Anniversary logo on it. Friends bought the same cooler at Wal*Mart with no name on it for $35, and even they feel ripped off.

I go on a "Man Trip" twice a year to Jawbone Canyon In the Southern California High Desert, and we use Coleman Extremes for Beer, Soda, Water, and seats, and they last 8-10 years of very heavy use.
My 35 year old Coleman is still going strong. Best ice chest ever made.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #48

i remember my dad having one of those as a kid going camping n fishing.....seems like it lasted forever...??...unfortunantly i didnt inherit it, so i get to waste my own money on coolers i WILL give to my kid! LOL

J
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #49

Yeti...Will keep ice 5 times longer that igloo..But like vehicles you get what you pay for...
Old 08-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #50

Here's a picture of our latest cooler that we have been using. A friend of ours worked for a pharmaceutical company and they packed drugs in these I believe. Keeps ice for days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	38972  

Days Camped 2015 - 20
Days Camped 2016 - 12
��
NKARENG is offline   Reply With Quote