Old 11-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
best mattress? Foam or ?

We got a foam topper for our camper mattress and it made a cheap crappy mattress fantastic.

A year later we got one for our home mattress.

Well, our home mattress is dead...served for 17 years..well past it's life span I'm sure. We're in pain when we get up in the morning...time to do something about it.

Went mattress looking, googling, etc. Lots of clue how to sift thru it all. We don't want (nor can we afford) to spend $1000+ on a mattress.
I had a water bad in my youth but otherwise always slept on inner sprint mattresses...which break down and according to 'sleep like the's surveys don't last and have a low customer satisfaction regardless of brand.

So I'm thinking maybe full memory foam mattress. Lots to choose from and the cost isn't bad - often cheaper than an innerspring mattress!

But talking to the guy at the store (about inner spring) he brings up that not all mem foam is the same - there is density, gel infused (cooler), etc.

Costco has a novaform 14" one for $599. Sears has a night therapy brand, 14" also, for $553.

Anyone have any experience with full foam mattresses?

Jill & Chris, Wills (14) Evie (11) & Toby our collie (5)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 3
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Yes,we started with a (Upgraded Serta) in our new unit. Then we placed 2in Memory Foam on top of this, Then we replaced all of that with a (10 in Avena Memory Foam from C/W) we have SLEPT very well ever since! Youroo!! PS the Total weight is the same!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Buy a trump serta and never look back IMO .
We bought one at the rally "discount" and I have never slept better.....

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
I tried the memory foam topper on my home mattress. It extended our spring mattress for about a year. Finally ditched that and got a foam mattress bed and liked it so much that I got one for the TT. You'll never regret it.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
when we bought our sandpiper toyhauler we ordered a bed from bed in a box and always slept good. it had several inches of mem foam on top and on inner springs. When we get the new trilogy if we dont like the bed we will do the same thing again.
GaryanJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
You may want to consider latex also. Here is a brief excerpt from Web MD comparing memory foam with latex. They are not selling or pushing one over the other. Latex comes in different densities and can be tailored to your weight.

Memory Foam Mattresses

Memory foam mattresses are growing in popularity. They are made of layers of different densities of foam that respond to weight and temperature, and are known for comfort because they contour to the specific shape of your body. Memory foam toppers are also available.

Pros: By molding to the shape of your body as your weight shifts through the night, memory foam reduces pressure points, and relieves pain. Memory foam also absorbs movement, so if you sleep with a partner, you're not likely to be disturbed by his tossing and turning.

Cons: One of the biggest complaints with memory foam mattresses is that because these mattresses are temperature sensitive, softening and molding with your body heat, they can make you feel extremely hot during the night. Breus also says memory foam mattresses have been known to emit an unpleasant chemical smell.

Conditions: "If you have a hard time getting comfortable, if you have chronic fatigue, or some type of muscle pain, then a memory foam mattress would work well for you, assuming you don't have temperature issues," Breus says.

Latex Mattresses

Latex mattresses are made from either natural or synthetic rubber, and are known for providing a very firm, bouncy support that is uniform throughout the bed.

Pros: "Quite frankly, I think one of the best materials is latex," Breus says. He likes it for being very firm and supportive, but also for providing comfort similar to memory foam. Unlike the memory foam mattresses, however, Breus says latex pushes back, ultimately providing more support.

Cons: If you don't like the feel of a firm mattress, latex is probably not the right choice for you.

Conditions: Either a latex mattress or latex mattress topper is great for relieving back pain because they offer the best combination of comfort and support, Breus says.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Forest River Accessories
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Buy a trump serta and never look back IMO .
We bought one at the rally "discount" and I have never slept better.....

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. They are still available for anyone who may be interested in upgrading their mattress.
FRAcessories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
Made in USA

We own a Sealy Brand foam mattress in our home. There are many brands and comfort levels of foam mattresses. Each brand and type of foam/gel mattresses are not made of the same material and they have different levels of firmness. You must to choose what fits your needs. We also have a foam mattress topper in our RV.

If you send the money for a quality foam mattresses or topper, they are only as good as the sheets. We only buy bedding from AB Lifestyles of South Carolina AB Lifestyles . They sell Made in USA bedding for homes and RV's. They sell toppers, sheets, pillow covers, and more; including custom sizing if needed. The mattress pad is the highest quality I have ever seen! It's not made of cheap thin fiberglass like every other brands. Once you sleep on a quality foam mattress and use AB Lifestyles bedding you will not ever want anything else.

2014 Rockwood 8289WS
2013 F150 crew 4x4 5.0L 3.73 6 1/2 bed
supersprings & timbren & B &W turnoverball
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection hitch
Jerry & Lisa
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
We recently replaced our home mattress with one from Amazon found here: - Foamex 8-Inch Memory Foam Mattress with Aerus NaturalTM Memory Foam Comfort Layer, Queen

Only $250ish delivered, by the way.

We love it. Just bought another one for the camper. I pulled some muscles in my back a couple of weeks ago and the only time it didn't hurt was when laying on that mattress. When the wife or I get up, the other doesn't know it now either, as opposed to being shaken around before. Doesn't sink in in the middle when we snuggle, either.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Costco has a novaform 14" one for $599. Sears has a night therapy brand, 14" also, for $553.

Anyone have any experience with full foam mattresses?[/QUOTE]

I have had the Costco Novaform 14" Gel Memory Foam mattress for a year now. I like it. It is firm, and does not get hot. In fact I have a heated mattress pad and heated blanket on it (both from Costco) during the winter. I'm in MN, it can be a bit harsh here. I have it on my old box spring from the Sealy Postyrepedic set I had for 14 years. Costco has a great return policy, so I'd give it a shot. Plus it's a lot more affordable than Tempurpedic.

kaschultz is offline   Reply With Quote