Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #21
kmr
Ken

Any recent GPS recommendations?

Hi, folks.

I've had a Rand McNally RVND7710 for about 1 1/2 years, and am not impressed (more below). I'm looking for recent recommendations for another unit.

Anyone have any experience with the Magellan RV-oriented units?

I notice that Garmin now has an RV-oriented unit, the RV 760LMT. Anyone have any experience with that one?

The problems I've had with my RVND7710 include:
1) It took us to two bridges that were lower than the height of our rig;
2) It occasionally freezes completely; we've got to poke the reset button to restart it;
3) The cigarette lighter power cord broke (was replaced under warranty);
4) It sometimes says you're at your destination and the destination is nowhere in sight--after turning around to go back, it now says the destination is somewhere else;
5) Now is refuses to connect to the computer--Rand McNally sent me a new USB cable free but that didn't solve the problem, and the unit is out of warranty;
6) All information about waypoints and routes has to be entered on the unit itself, whereas the new Garmin model allows you to enter this stuff on a computer and transfer it to the GPS.

I could go on, but those are the main points. I'm looking for another unit that people have had better luck with. Thanks for any feedback.

- Ken
kmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #22

I’ve given up on my Rand McNally 5510 GPS. While it has some nice features, it just has too many mapping errors in it. Also when I save a route, it doesn’t save any of the detours I may have built into that route. Apparently when you save a route it only saves the origin and destination and not any changes to the route you make.

For my birthday this year I’m asking for the Garmin RV 760LMT.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
Denver, CO

Frankly, I think an IPad is the best way to go and you have navigation right there plus a scad of really cool apps.

picture illustrated below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	34217  
Old 06-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

I like my Garmin nuvi 2460 LMT especially now that I downloaded the low clearances to it. It will alert me to any low clearances of 12'6 or lower 19 miles out or up to 38 miles out whichever I choose. Has the lane alerts, etc.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #25
kmr
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Frankly, I think an IPad is the best way to go and you have navigation right there plus a scad of really cool apps.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing this requires an iPad with the 3G or 4G capability (not sure which) and requires a data plan of $50/month or so. (Of course, if you want the data plan for other things, then the routing is a free bonus.)

Can the iPad (so equipped) tell you exactly where you are?

- Ken
Old 06-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #26
kmr
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I like my Garmin nuvi 2460 LMT especially now that I downloaded the low clearances to it. It will alert me to any low clearances of 12'6 or lower 19 miles out or up to 38 miles out whichever I choose. Has the lane alerts, etc.
Interesting. I infer from what you said that the unit warns you when you're approaching a low bridge but doesn't actually route you around them. Is this correct?

- Ken
Old 06-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmr View Post
Interesting. I infer from what you said that the unit warns you when you're approaching a low bridge but doesn't actually route you around them. Is this correct?

- Ken
Suppose to warn you and route you away. I haven't actually used it yet, but you can set it to 200,000 ft (38 miles) warning so if it doesn't route you away, you should be able to avoid it. I'll find out on the Goshen trip & beyond.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing this requires an iPad with the 3G or 4G capability (not sure which) and requires a data plan of $50/month or so. (Of course, if you want the data plan for other things, then the routing is a free bonus.)

- Ken
Depends on the App.

"Copilot" uses the GPS (only available on 3G equipped models but you don't need the 3G service to use it) and has the maps as part of the application.

My AT&T data plan is 2 Gigabytes per month (plenty BTW) for $25.00 US.

The iPad (using the GPS) will "flight follow" you on the moving map display.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #29

I just had (...and got rid of) the Magellan RV9165T-LM. It took us in opposite directions and routed way, long routes out of our way. It got to a point that I didn't trust it. Just from a functionality standpoint, the lag on the screen putting in a destination was enough to drive you nuts! I did my review here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-lm-42300.html

I've put in order the new Garmin RV 760LMT but have not received it yet. The product was just announced and shipments heading out in a week or so. Again, my review will go here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ced-42764.html

I'm a gadget nut so this is what I can bring to this group of diverse individuals. Being a techie does that to you I guess? :-)

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #30
kmr
Ken

Quote:
Suppose to warn you and route you away. I haven't actually used it yet, but you can set it to 200,000 ft (38 miles) warning so if it doesn't route you away, you should be able to avoid it. I'll find out on the Goshen trip & beyond.
Interesting! We'll be at Goshen too, perhaps we can chat.

BTW, I'm giving a talk there on taking better pictures and I'm trying to drum up some interest!

Our economic stimulus package:
2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost (3.5L V6!)
Old 06-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #31
kmr
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Depends on the App.

"Copilot" uses the GPS (only available on 3G equipped models but you don't need the 3G service to use it) and has the maps as part of the application.

My AT&T data plan is 2 Gigabytes per month (plenty BTW) for $25.00 US.

The iPad (using the GPS) will "flight follow" you on the moving map display.
Very good information to know. Unfortunately, the iPad we've already got lacks the 3G feature, and buying a new one is more expensive than buying a new GPS. Oh well--future iPad buyers, take note!

Our economic stimulus package:
2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost (3.5L V6!)
Old 06-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Oldcoot, glad you mentioned the update available on the Garmin 2460LMT. I have one of these I put back in the box setting on a shelf because both my TV and car have GPS in them, I look forward to hearing your results on it's use. I think I am going to look into my TV's GPS capabilities 2013 Tundra and upgrade possibilities.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batts-toy View Post
Oldcoot, glad you mentioned the update available on the Garmin 2460LMT. I have one of these I put back in the box setting on a shelf because both my TV and car have GPS in them, I look forward to hearing your results on it's use. I think I am going to look into my TV's GPS capabilities 2013 Tundra and upgrade possibilities.

Check this one out. I haven't yet,but it looks like a good one.

RV GPS | Garmin RV 760LMT
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #34
Denver, CO

Quote:

- Ken
The IPAD has a fully functional GPS that gives exact readings and a plethora of APPs that use it, including an Apple one that comes with the unit. Google maps works also, etc. If you already have an AT&T cellphone account, it costs $10 a month to add an IPAD to it, and you are good to go. The DW and I have 3 cell phones ( kids and parents riding along) and 2 IPAD's on a 10 gig plan and never go over. I'm guessing the other cell providers and other tablets like the Samsung have similar plans and Apps. I am not exaggerating the flexibility of the unit AND it works almost as good as a computer when in camp and working on the camp wireless.

For me, it's an awesome alternative to a dedicated unit for the TV, since I carry my cell phone anyway, and the IPad does great stuff. I don't need an computer except for needing VPN for work stuff on the road. Personal Email, this forum, everything else is on this little device.

IMO, of course.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batts-toy View Post
It's not an update from Garmin, it's an independent program called "Low Clearances.com
Low Clearance GPS Data
Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #36
Denver, CO

Quote:
It's not an update from Garmin, it's an independent program called "Low Clearances.com
Low Clearance GPS Data
Wonder if it works on an Ipad? With google maps, maybe
Old 06-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just read some of the info on the new Rv 790 LMT Garmin GPS. It looks very interesting. It's compatible with Android and I Phone tech plus bluetooth.

It's on my list of wants. Just want to give it some time and see some reviews. Also @ $399.00 a copy, give it some time for the competition to start discounting the price.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Just read some of the info on the new Rv 790 LMT Garmin GPS. It looks very interesting. It's compatible with Android and I Phone tech plus bluetooth.

It's on my list of wants. Just want to give it some time and see some reviews. Also @ $399.00 a copy, give it some time for the competition to start discounting the price.
I can only find it at Garmin's website. It says pre-order so I dont think retailers will get it until its for sale. But I hope I am wrong.

I did find a free shipping code if you wanted to pre-order. Use coupon code SHIPFREE. It says the code expires at the end of today.
halibut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #39
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
The IPAD has a fully functional GPS that gives exact readings and a plethora of APPs that use it, including an Apple one that comes with the unit.
Not all models of iPad have integral GPS. The iPad Mark I only had GPS in the 3G models. The ones without 3G did not come with GPS.

Not sure about iPad Mark II.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by halibut3 View Post
I can only find it at Garmin's website. It says pre-order so I dont think retailers will get it until its for sale. But I hope I am wrong.

I did find a free shipping code if you wanted to pre-order. Use coupon code SHIPFREE. It says the code expires at the end of today.

Due out first or second week of July, if I'm not mistaken. It's sure to come down in price a month or two after intro.