Old 08-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #1

Best RV GPS

I want to buy a RV GPS for my RV and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best one would be. Thanks

Old 08-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Brigitte

I cannot compare to other RV GPS but loving the Rand Mcnally RVND 7710
Great features. You imput the size of Rig and it will take you the best (hopefully) route for your RV and avoiding low clearance overpass.
woodalls Rated campgrounds and many more are preloaded.
Had a small garmin before and it does not even come close.

Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #3

I have read some mixed reviews on this forum about Rand McNally GPS. I really can not give any specific recommendations but if were me I would also look at GPS for truckers...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Trailer Trash

Rand Mcnally RVND 7710 is the one I have also. This has the 7" screen. There is a 5" screen that is less expensive (100 bucks as I recall) and just as good feature wise, but a smaller screen. The dash mount for these wobbles a little bit and you have to retighten up the pivot clamp knobs every now and then. I'm thinking the 5" version would have less issues with this.

These models are trucking GPS units that have been adapted for RV use. IF you buy the trucking version it has a bunch stuff it it that is USELESS for RV drivers such as DOT weigh stations and hours of service tracking. OK we may want to use a CAT scale but not the one in DOT hell on the side of the freeway. The RVND series has TONS of extras such as RV dealers, RV dumpsites, RV service centers, Woodalls campsite listings, and a quick link to Wallmarts, Pilots, Flying J, TA, etc. so you can gas up and park your rig without hitting anything. The speaker is plenty loud and you can actually see it in bright sunlight. Also has a good interface with your computer for downloading updates, saving info, etc.

Only bad thing I've read is a guy on here complained the bridge height avoidance feature was not accurate as it allowed him to go to a bridge that was too low for his rig. Once you get this unit, you program in your length, width, height, weight, and how much propane you have. It then is supposed to keep you on safe legal route to your destination. I know the tunnel feature works as it took me the long way around the Lowry tunnel in Minneapolis. It does have a feature for car mode that then shuts off all the restrictions and lets you drive around anywere like a car gps ala Garmin Nuvi, TomTom, etc.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390bh

We use the Garmin 465 t which is the RV version. Screen is much smaller than the RM. We've had good luck with it. I understand that Garmin has released a newer version with a 7" screen. You might want to check that one out as well.

Any GPS requires some forethought. I use my GPS for local roads more than for long distance driving. The local road info is usually more accurate and the long distance info will sometimes give you a very long route.

Ed
Old 09-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Trailer Trash

One additional comment. If you don't program in your RV parameters, this model GPS will not take you on a safe legal route for your RV. If you are in car mode rather than RV mode, same drill. I told the gpe the height of my RV is 13'-6" which is the height of a full size semi-trailer. That may be why I have not had any issues with the GPS allowing me to go under a low bridge.

I know everybody wants to take their new gps out of the box, plug it into the ciggy adapter, and then go for a ride. When you buy a RV or trucking gps, take the time to read the manual. These things are way more complicated and feature rich than those 100 dollar car gps units. It's also the reason they cost way more. 400 bucks to work with a 40,000 dollar RV is 1% of the cost of the RV. Spend the money and get the good one! Go visit a camping world store. They are pretty helpfull with GPS for RV.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #7

Here's a link to my post about the Rand McNally 5510 GPS.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nts-28097.html

My sole reason for buying the unit was that I could configure it for height restrictions. Now that I know the unit can't be trusted for that simple feature it's no better than any other GPS. I still have to check the truckers website,( Low Clearances ) for height restrictions along my route.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
Honda 2000i genny
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Trailer Trash

Okaman, did your GPS take you to ONE low bridge incident or has it been multiple instances?

I've been running all kinds of GPS units car, motorcycle, RV, boat, Qualcom in a semi, and laptop versions as I used to travel all over USA and Canada for work. Overall they are only about 85% accurate. They DO screw up. But it's not the GPS itself. It's the mapping data that is wrong.

EVERY GPS I have used eventually tells me wrong/bad info. Figure 15% of the time the damn thing will have you do a stupid move. Including get off the freeway, and get right back on it. Go the wrong way down a one way road. Turn onto dirt roads even though I told it avoid unpaved road. YOU the driver still have to pay attention to reality. The GPS is simply a tool. It can only be trusted so far.

What's the biggest piece of crap GPS I have used......................
The brand new Qualcomm unit. Damn thing runs under a Windows CE environment. Windows CE is an operating system for mobile devices. An just like your computer at home, it errors out, freezes up, etc. Try doing CRL, ALT, DEL when you are driving a semi. Here is a video on it.
How Does the Qualcomm in a Semi Truck Work? - YouTube
Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Rand Mcnally RVND 7710 is the one I have also. This has the 7" screen. There is a 5" screen that is less expensive (100 bucks as I recall) and just as good feature wise, but a smaller screen. The dash mount for these wobbles a little bit and you have to retighten up the pivot clamp knobs every now and then. I'm thinking the 5" version would have less issues with this.

These models are trucking GPS units that have been adapted for RV use. IF you buy the trucking version it has a bunch stuff it it that is USELESS for RV drivers such as DOT weigh stations and hours of service tracking. OK we may want to use a CAT scale but not the one in DOT hell on the side of the freeway. The RVND series has TONS of extras such as RV dealers, RV dumpsites, RV service centers, Woodalls campsite listings, and a quick link to Wallmarts, Pilots, Flying J, TA, etc. so you can gas up and park your rig without hitting anything. The speaker is plenty loud and you can actually see it in bright sunlight. Also has a good interface with your computer for downloading updates, saving info, etc.

Only bad thing I've read is a guy on here complained the bridge height avoidance feature was not accurate as it allowed him to go to a bridge that was too low for his rig. Once you get this unit, you program in your length, width, height, weight, and how much propane you have. It then is supposed to keep you on safe legal route to your destination. I know the tunnel feature works as it took me the long way around the Lowry tunnel in Minneapolis. It does have a feature for car mode that then shuts off all the restrictions and lets you drive around anywere like a car gps ala Garmin Nuvi, TomTom, etc.

Well said. One bad report on clearance hight should not prevent others from getting this GPS. Could have been bad input from user or could have been on GPS but we all know that other GPS are not perfect either. I would much prefer trusting this GPS than the other brands, very happy with the features.
I also have a Trucker's Rand Mcnally Atlas and review the low clearances for the state or province I am in prior to a trip. There aren't THAT many and no way I'm going to venture anywhere near them. Cover my *****, and try my best not to rely solely on a GPS.
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #10

OK, for those users who are happy with their RM 7710 or 5510 try this, if you know how, plan a trip using the RM from the Grand Island, NY KOA to Niagara Falls State Park. If the route displayed takes you to the Robert Moses Parkway you will encounter a 12’ clearance. Be sure to configure the GPS in RV mode and with a height of 13 feet.

As I said, my sole purpose in buying the 5510 was to have a GPS that would avoid low overpasses. Since that simple feature can’t be trusted, the unit is no better or no worse than Garmin or TomTom for an automobile.

While the RM does have some features that I really like, the graphics aren’t very good. Trip planning is clunky if you want to take a specific Interstate rather than the one provided by RM. Zooming in and out on a map is cumbersome. It’s not nearly as user friendly as TomTom or Garmin. Sorry the RM gets a thumbs down from me.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
Honda 2000i genny
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote