Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #1

Best RV GPS

I want to buy a RV GPS for my RV and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best one would be. Thanks
erobirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Brigitte

I cannot compare to other RV GPS but loving the Rand Mcnally RVND 7710
Great features. You imput the size of Rig and it will take you the best (hopefully) route for your RV and avoiding low clearance overpass.
woodalls Rated campgrounds and many more are preloaded.
Had a small garmin before and it does not even come close.
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #3

I have read some mixed reviews on this forum about Rand McNally GPS. I really can not give any specific recommendations but if were me I would also look at GPS for truckers...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
Trailer Trash

Rand Mcnally RVND 7710 is the one I have also. This has the 7" screen. There is a 5" screen that is less expensive (100 bucks as I recall) and just as good feature wise, but a smaller screen. The dash mount for these wobbles a little bit and you have to retighten up the pivot clamp knobs every now and then. I'm thinking the 5" version would have less issues with this.

These models are trucking GPS units that have been adapted for RV use. IF you buy the trucking version it has a bunch stuff it it that is USELESS for RV drivers such as DOT weigh stations and hours of service tracking. OK we may want to use a CAT scale but not the one in DOT hell on the side of the freeway. The RVND series has TONS of extras such as RV dealers, RV dumpsites, RV service centers, Woodalls campsite listings, and a quick link to Wallmarts, Pilots, Flying J, TA, etc. so you can gas up and park your rig without hitting anything. The speaker is plenty loud and you can actually see it in bright sunlight. Also has a good interface with your computer for downloading updates, saving info, etc.

Only bad thing I've read is a guy on here complained the bridge height avoidance feature was not accurate as it allowed him to go to a bridge that was too low for his rig. Once you get this unit, you program in your length, width, height, weight, and how much propane you have. It then is supposed to keep you on safe legal route to your destination. I know the tunnel feature works as it took me the long way around the Lowry tunnel in Minneapolis. It does have a feature for car mode that then shuts off all the restrictions and lets you drive around anywere like a car gps ala Garmin Nuvi, TomTom, etc.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390bh

We use the Garmin 465 t which is the RV version. Screen is much smaller than the RM. We've had good luck with it. I understand that Garmin has released a newer version with a 7" screen. You might want to check that one out as well.

Any GPS requires some forethought. I use my GPS for local roads more than for long distance driving. The local road info is usually more accurate and the long distance info will sometimes give you a very long route.

Ed
Old 09-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Trailer Trash

One additional comment. If you don't program in your RV parameters, this model GPS will not take you on a safe legal route for your RV. If you are in car mode rather than RV mode, same drill. I told the gpe the height of my RV is 13'-6" which is the height of a full size semi-trailer. That may be why I have not had any issues with the GPS allowing me to go under a low bridge.

I know everybody wants to take their new gps out of the box, plug it into the ciggy adapter, and then go for a ride. When you buy a RV or trucking gps, take the time to read the manual. These things are way more complicated and feature rich than those 100 dollar car gps units. It's also the reason they cost way more. 400 bucks to work with a 40,000 dollar RV is 1% of the cost of the RV. Spend the money and get the good one! Go visit a camping world store. They are pretty helpfull with GPS for RV.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #7

Here's a link to my post about the Rand McNally 5510 GPS.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nts-28097.html

My sole reason for buying the unit was that I could configure it for height restrictions. Now that I know the unit can't be trusted for that simple feature it's no better than any other GPS. I still have to check the truckers website,( Low Clearances ) for height restrictions along my route.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Trailer Trash

Okaman, did your GPS take you to ONE low bridge incident or has it been multiple instances?

I've been running all kinds of GPS units car, motorcycle, RV, boat, Qualcom in a semi, and laptop versions as I used to travel all over USA and Canada for work. Overall they are only about 85% accurate. They DO screw up. But it's not the GPS itself. It's the mapping data that is wrong.

EVERY GPS I have used eventually tells me wrong/bad info. Figure 15% of the time the damn thing will have you do a stupid move. Including get off the freeway, and get right back on it. Go the wrong way down a one way road. Turn onto dirt roads even though I told it avoid unpaved road. YOU the driver still have to pay attention to reality. The GPS is simply a tool. It can only be trusted so far.

What's the biggest piece of crap GPS I have used......................
The brand new Qualcomm unit. Damn thing runs under a Windows CE environment. Windows CE is an operating system for mobile devices. An just like your computer at home, it errors out, freezes up, etc. Try doing CRL, ALT, DEL when you are driving a semi. Here is a video on it.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Rand Mcnally RVND 7710 is the one I have also. This has the 7" screen. There is a 5" screen that is less expensive (100 bucks as I recall) and just as good feature wise, but a smaller screen. The dash mount for these wobbles a little bit and you have to retighten up the pivot clamp knobs every now and then. I'm thinking the 5" version would have less issues with this.

These models are trucking GPS units that have been adapted for RV use. IF you buy the trucking version it has a bunch stuff it it that is USELESS for RV drivers such as DOT weigh stations and hours of service tracking. OK we may want to use a CAT scale but not the one in DOT hell on the side of the freeway. The RVND series has TONS of extras such as RV dealers, RV dumpsites, RV service centers, Woodalls campsite listings, and a quick link to Wallmarts, Pilots, Flying J, TA, etc. so you can gas up and park your rig without hitting anything. The speaker is plenty loud and you can actually see it in bright sunlight. Also has a good interface with your computer for downloading updates, saving info, etc.

Only bad thing I've read is a guy on here complained the bridge height avoidance feature was not accurate as it allowed him to go to a bridge that was too low for his rig. Once you get this unit, you program in your length, width, height, weight, and how much propane you have. It then is supposed to keep you on safe legal route to your destination. I know the tunnel feature works as it took me the long way around the Lowry tunnel in Minneapolis. It does have a feature for car mode that then shuts off all the restrictions and lets you drive around anywere like a car gps ala Garmin Nuvi, TomTom, etc.

Well said. One bad report on clearance hight should not prevent others from getting this GPS. Could have been bad input from user or could have been on GPS but we all know that other GPS are not perfect either. I would much prefer trusting this GPS than the other brands, very happy with the features.
I also have a Trucker's Rand Mcnally Atlas and review the low clearances for the state or province I am in prior to a trip. There aren't THAT many and no way I'm going to venture anywhere near them. Cover my *****, and try my best not to rely solely on a GPS.
Timbrens
Old 09-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #10

OK, for those users who are happy with their RM 7710 or 5510 try this, if you know how, plan a trip using the RM from the Grand Island, NY KOA to Niagara Falls State Park. If the route displayed takes you to the Robert Moses Parkway you will encounter a 12’ clearance. Be sure to configure the GPS in RV mode and with a height of 13 feet.

As I said, my sole purpose in buying the 5510 was to have a GPS that would avoid low overpasses. Since that simple feature can’t be trusted, the unit is no better or no worse than Garmin or TomTom for an automobile.

While the RM does have some features that I really like, the graphics aren’t very good. Trip planning is clunky if you want to take a specific Interstate rather than the one provided by RM. Zooming in and out on a map is cumbersome. It’s not nearly as user friendly as TomTom or Garmin. Sorry the RM gets a thumbs down from me.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 09-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
410 QS 425 2011 Birkshire

I use a combination of Delorme and Trailer Life on a laptop connected to the main TV so I can hear it over the noise of the road
malewis49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
OK, for those users who are happy with their RM 7710 or 5510 try this, if you know how, plan a trip using the RM from the Grand Island, NY KOA to Niagara Falls State Park. If the route displayed takes you to the Robert Moses Parkway you will encounter a 12’ clearance. Be sure to configure the GPS in RV mode and with a height of 13 feet.

As I said, my sole purpose in buying the 5510 was to have a GPS that would avoid low overpasses. Since that simple feature can’t be trusted, the unit is no better or no worse than Garmin or TomTom for an automobile.

While the RM does have some features that I really like, the graphics aren’t very good. Trip planning is clunky if you want to take a specific Interstate rather than the one provided by RM. Zooming in and out on a map is cumbersome. It’s not nearly as user friendly as TomTom or Garmin. Sorry the RM gets a thumbs down from me.
I did the route and indeed, it took me on the R. Moses Parkway and I looked at google map, and there is a 11.9 low clearance overpass near the Robert Moses Parkway under Lassalle Expy. The GPS route from KOA to state park takes 1-90 N then exit 21 rt 384 /R. Moses Pkwy/ Buffalo ave, to R. moses pkwy state park. When I routed the other way, it didn't take me under the low clearance. I also looked at Rand Mcnally motor carriers paper atlas and it doesn't have this low clearance in there. Strange.
Timbrens
Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
Brigitte

Like I said, I usually check with Rand Mcnally Motor carriers road atlas for low clearances and Google map. Going to Watkins Glen on Thursday and punched it in the RVND 7710 trusting it's going to give me the right/safe route. Now, I like this GPS but it wants to take me route 14 to corning st/ cr-329 to cr-17 to rt-414 to koa Dr. why not 14 to 414 beats me but I checked on this low clearance site Low Clearancesand there it is:
NY 329 Watkins Glen- 2 miles southwest 12'5"
I cannot see on google map ny329 but according to this, it looks like the low clearance is not on the route given by the GPS ( more south west ) but will not chance it and just stay on 414. Better safe than sorry.
Timbrens
Old 09-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #14

I’m pretty sure Rand McNally is using the information from their truckers atlas in the RVND 5510 and 7710. The problem is the truckers atlas only has low clearances on legal commercial truck routes. Trucks are banned from Parkways in NY and I believe NJ so low clearances on those roads wouldn’t be included.

I tried another route testing weight limits. This time from my house in Imperial, MO to the South Marcum campground on Rend Lake, a route I‘m very familiar with. I had the GPS configured for the fastest route, my RV weight at 22,000 lbs, and height of 13 feet. While the route it produced was actually the shortest, I really doubt that it was the fastest. But more importantly, it sent me across the Rend Lake Dam road which has a weight limit of 10 tons. Commercial trucks aren’t allowed on the dam road so I guess that’s why the RM didn’t have that info.

My guess is that RM used the information they already had in their truckers GPS and substituted trucker information like weigh stations, truck stops, etc., and put in RV info like campgrounds and such. Regardless, I now know I still have to research routes for height and weight restrictions the way I’ve always done in the past. I’m really disappointed in this GPS.

I have to wonder if the Garmin Nuvi 465 LMT and Magellan Roadmate 9165t, both of which are marketed for RVs, would produce the same bad routes.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 09-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I’m pretty sure Rand McNally is using the information from their truckers atlas in the RVND 5510 and 7710. The problem is the truckers atlas only has low clearances on legal commercial truck routes. Trucks are banned from Parkways in NY and I believe NJ so low clearances on those roads wouldn’t be included.

I tried another route testing weight limits. This time from my house in Imperial, MO to the South Marcum campground on Rend Lake, a route I‘m very familiar with. I had the GPS configured for the fastest route, my RV weight at 22,000 lbs, and height of 13 feet. While the route it produced was actually the shortest, I really doubt that it was the fastest. But more importantly, it sent me across the Rend Lake Dam road which has a weight limit of 10 tons. Commercial trucks aren’t allowed on the dam road so I guess that’s why the RM didn’t have that info.

My guess is that RM used the information they already had in their truckers GPS and substituted trucker information like weigh stations, truck stops, etc., and put in RV info like campgrounds and such. Regardless, I now know I still have to research routes for height and weight restrictions the way I’ve always done in the past. I’m really disappointed in this GPS.

I have to wonder if the Garmin Nuvi 465 LMT and Magellan Roadmate 9165t, both of which are marketed for RVs, would produce the same bad routes.
interesting thread
although I am pretty happy with the RVND 7710, it has some shortcomings and am open to purchase a new GPS but only if it's perfect and I haven't found the one yet.
Any suggestions?
by the way, POI factory has good stuff including low clearances which I uploaded to my Randmcnally this morning as a back up.... so with the low clearances built in the GPS + the POI low clearances I added + checking the motor carriers road atlas, I should be safe. It would be nice to be able to trust technology wouldn't it?
Timbrens
Old 09-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #16

Rv gps

I recieved a lot of good information so Thank You all very much. I just received a notice that the Rand McNally Tripmaker RVND 7710-7 has just been reduced to $299.99. I don't know why they would reduce a new product this soon. Does anyone out there know anything about the Magellan Roadmate RV9165-LM-7 or the RV9145-LM-7 GPS? All the reviews that I have read rate the RV9145-LM-7 as a better unit. I have read a lot of reviews on the Garmin dezl series and they are not very good.

Thanks for all of your help!
Earle
erobirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post

You mentioned something about the tunnel feature on your Garmin. I live near the Lowry tunnel in Minneapolis. I have driven through this tunnel a half dozen times pulling my TT and it's two 30 pound propane tanks. Never gave it any thought that I could possibly be braking the law.

Anyone know the rules on RV's and tunnels?
kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #18

Reviews are all over the place on GPS's. I have owned and had good luck with Garmins, the TomToms were OK and I thought the Magellans were junk (I would never buy one again). I use a Garmin Nuvi 500. It is not a trucker or RV GPS. But for what I need it works. I can use it in my car/truck, motorcycle and my boat.

I agree one bad review should not sway you. It seems to me every manufacturer makes good units and POS units.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #19

I am a fan of the smart phone navigation. We don't really worry about height with a bumper pull, though. Google maps and navigation have been awesome for us and you can have it show all sorts of goodies on the sides of the road as well as preset your route online and send it to your phone. Also have a TomTom (130 I beleive), but have not used it years. We did love that when we used it though.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #20

Any new updates on the best gps for rv use. Looking to buy one quick...my phone navigation was a big mistake. New to this and would appreciate some good advice.
Thank you
Cynthia
casartain is offline   Reply With Quote