Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
Old Timer Newbie

Best South Florida Campgrounds

I'm a newbie and not really sure how all this works but I couldn't find anything related so I thought I'd try this.

Can anyone recommend any campgrounds in South Florida for winter camping? We have a brand new 37' Georgetown XL and we will be towing a trailer with a small car on it.
sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #2

I can recommend Silver Springs State Park on the outskirts of Ocala. Very nice place with huge campsites. Nice hiking paths, and the river and springs to visit.
Racedrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Always Learning

We spent 2 nights at Larry and Penny Thompson Memorial Park in Miami. Very RV-park like without a whole lot of privacy, but it was a nice enough place that I'd go back for a tour of the area (or, like we did before- as a stop over before heading into Key West).
Old 01-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
Rivnut

Flamingo park, t-loop, 41 sites is a good starter before going down to key west. Get a canoe and check the florida.
Everglades National park. Google
flamingo -t-loop
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
Old Timer Newbie

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce View Post
I'm a newbie and not really sure how all this works but I couldn't find anything related so I thought I'd try this.

Can anyone recommend any campgrounds in South Florida for winter camping? We have a brand new 37' Georgetown XL and we will be towing a trailer with a small car on it.
Sorry - I should have been more specific. We're looking for a long-term location with full ups.
sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #6
Doll House Two

Seminole Campground near Fort Myers is great. Small, friendly staff, pool, pet friendly, shady walks, super clean restrooms; one restaurant nearby. Easy on / off I75 S.
Also, Riverside near Arcadia is nice, not shady, but friendly staff, bigger campground with pool.
Doll House Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #7

The nicest RV park in FL if not in the whole country is Sun N Fun, just outside of Sarasota. They have a $5.5 million dollar fitness center adjacent to the huge outdoor pool, restaurant and bar. I could fill pages of the amenities that Sun N Fun offers. We stayed for 3 months last year. Check out their website: Sarasota Florida RV Parks, Resorts - Award-winning Sun-N-Fun
We just can't say enough about this resort and it is a resort not an RV park!
apaukovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #8

[QUOTE=apaukovitz;761613]The nicest RV park in FL if not in the whole country is Sun N Fun, just outside of Sarasota. They have a $5.5 million dollar fitness center adjacent to the huge outdoor pool, restaurant and bar. I could fill pages of the amenities that Sun N Fun offers. We stayed for 3 months last year. Check out their website: Sarasota Florida RV Parks, Resorts - Award-winning Sun-N-Fun
We just can't say enough about this resort and it is a resort not an RV park![/QUOTE================== ===============
====================

Should be at over $2,000 a month..............
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce View Post
I'm a newbie and not really sure how all this works but I couldn't find anything

Can anyone recommend any campgrounds in South Florida for winter camping? We have a rand new 37' Georgetown XL and we will be towing a trailer with a small car on it.
Hi I.know you want full hookups but if you can do without sewer for a few days fort.desoto.is beautiful. . We are here right now. The sites are huge and it is on one of the nicest beaches in the us. Also has a doggie park and doggie beach of you have one. On the rear cost there is a very nice campground in jupiter. We have come to fl.for many years.this is our longest stay...three months.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #10
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedrvr View Post
I can recommend Silver Springs State Park on the outskirts of Ocala. Very nice place with huge campsites. Nice hiking paths, and the river and springs to visit.

X2...great campground for being in a State Park

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear

Old 01-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #11

KOA in Daytona is nice , just south of the Speedway -----only stayed there for 4 days during Thanksgiving---------'bout all I can say about it
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #12

Blue water key Rv resort.. Key west
Old 01-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjester View Post
Blue water key Rv resort.. Key west
Expensive, but beautiful!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420848827.036630.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	68273

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420848846.917861.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	68274

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420848868.836659.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	68275
Old 01-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #14
Doll House Two

Sun N Fun is a fabulous resort, but not inexpensive. That being said, I kinda of call it a concrete cruise ship. It is wonderful for kids too. Fort De Soto is beautiful and rustic, close to the water, great amenities for dawg lovers.
Doll House Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #15

Florida State Parks are the BEST

We are Florida residents, try to camp one long weekend every month (for now) so we have not covered a lot of ground but we are working on it!
We are regulars at Fort Desoto (can only book 6 months in advance, local residents get first shot 7 months out) but you can usually find a site easily during the week and we adore our state parks but those also must be booked in advance (11 months max) this time of year due to the snowbird influx & the fantastic pricing. Both of these are short term dump station situations.
We have just returned from 4 days in a private park in Fort Meyers where it seems all the sites in most of the parks are incredibly small regardless of the campground you pick (one snowbird referred to it as fender bender city within the campground as there had been 3 fender benders in less than a week ...that week). We finished with 3 days in state park where I believe we were the only campers in with 50 sites of snowbirds ... but there was plenty of joyful space to be had.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00098_edited-1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	68323   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00342_edited-1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	577.0 KB
ID:	68324  

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #16

What type of amenities are you looking for? I avoid private campgrounds, preferring national forest or corp of engineers campgrounds followed by state forests and state parks.
Currently at COE Ortona Lock Campground and loving it.
Not in south Florida but Juniper Springs in Ocala national forest and Ocean pond in Oceola national Forest are nice too
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #17

Markham park near Ft. Lauderdale is very nice. They have a great dog park close by also.
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
What type of amenities are you looking for? I avoid private campgrounds, preferring national forest or corp of engineers campgrounds followed by state forests and state parks.
Currently at COE Ortona Lock Campground and loving it.
Not in south Florida but Juniper Springs in Ocala national forest and Ocean pond in Oceola national Forest are nice too
Thanks for the tip ....I had no idea about the national parks & found the link ...there are some nice ones here in FL that need to be added to our list (along with a couple great county parks that have been recommended). Any idea if they spray for bugs during summer months (Some of the FL state parks do ...just have to call & ask)?

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:43 PM   #19
(Dry Huunday)

Lion Country Safari! (West Palm Beach) Nothing g like listening to Lion roars in the morning!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:24 PM   #20

Lots of good suggestions. We stayed a week at Sun and Fun. The weather wasn't great but I wasn't blown away. My lot was almost impossible to get into. The people were nice but didn't use any of the water park stuff.
For me I don't like traffic and crowds. We are going back to Silver Palms. It's in Okeechobee far enough south to get the better weather but not on the coast so not as busy. No mall not a lot of shopping. The park is very nice gated with a nice pool. Lots range from Paved to grass and are good size lots. There are many activities and parties. For a longer term stay we found it to be close to perfect. Good luck.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg