Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #21

When I had a MH with generator, I hard wired after the automatic transfer switch. No problem with it checking either shore power or generator power. Currently have a fifth wheel and have a Champion generator/invertor. When I plugged into that I got an error message, open ground, and the EMS shut off the power. I called Progressive and the man told me to use a 15a replacement plug for an appliance cord and open it up and put a jumper wire between the ground and neutral and plug that into an outlet on the generator. Very simple fix. The reason is, on 120 the ground and neutral bars are connected, in the generator they are not, so the EMS sees an open ground.
dmatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #22

Ugh decisions decisions, surge protector or my joetisserie for my kamado joe grill. I already no my answer though.
17' Coachmen Apex 300 BHS
15' Ram CC Laramie 4x4, 3.92
aries75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #23

Think of the PI purchase as a one time insurance payment...makes the extra cost much more palatable. And, yes, IMHO worth the extra cost.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #24

I have the PI ems pt50c My travel trailer is wired for 50 amp service, and I camp at several state parks that only have 30 amp service. I bought a 30 to 50 dog bone, and it works well. This fourth of July, I got a cancelled site at a beach side campground. I thought we were in high cotton, until I got the power hooked up and saw only 102 volts available.. I complained to the park ranger who said that he could not remedy that and only was able to give me a refund and let some one else burn up their AC unit.. I will not hook up to camp ground power without my PI unit.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #25

Some RV parks actually have low voltage, which can be worse than a surge. Take a look at the Hughes Auto Former, it regulates both.
Dodge Ram 2500 HD Cummins
2018 Ultra Limited
HyperCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #26

+1 for the Progressive Industries! The unit saved my camper several times last year after voltage dropped below acceptable value while at a campground in the summer time. Everyone was running the AC's, and to prevent my compressor from burning out, the PI unit shut my box down and saved my butt. A definite purchase for any camper application.

'18 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8299BS
'14 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL (SOLD)
Tow Rig: 2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L Diesel
CodyPereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:36 AM   #27

Has any one ever questioned camping world as to why they do not sell the Progressive Industries units or Yamaha generators? I did a comparison between the Honda and Yamaha invertor 3K units. I did not see a fuel shutoff on the Honda unit.. That one item will be the difference between a sure start and a clogged up carburetor.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:48 AM   #28

Just order my surge protector from amazon Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X 30A.
17' Coachmen Apex 300 BHS
15' Ram CC Laramie 4x4, 3.92
aries75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries75 View Post
Just order my surge protector from amazon Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X 30A.
Congratulations!

I really struggled with the price when I got mine but I'm pretty happy to know my new RV is protected as much as it can be.

Hey, it's only 1/72 of my RV's base price!
Old 03-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
Has any one ever questioned camping world as to why they do not sell the Progressive Industries units or Yamaha generators? I did a comparison between the Honda and Yamaha invertor 3K units. I did not see a fuel shutoff on the Honda unit.. That one item will be the difference between a sure start and a clogged up carburetor.
My Honda has a fuel shut-off. EU 3000
Santini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
My Honda EU 3000 has a shut-off.
Santini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
"Best" is a subjective term.

The gentleman that walk us thru the PDI suggested this one.

It has IMHO earned it's keep.

Please read this thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...or-127976.html

I bet it was suggested because it is what they sell and the PDI guy doesn't know any better.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I bet it was suggested because it is what they sell and the PDI guy doesn't know any better.
Said he had been a trailer owner for 25 years, I had no reason to not believe him he knew what he was talking about and had direct answers for our many question.

Quiet talker, listened well and was in no hurry to rush the PDI, he even questioned me about why I did not have the in bed connector for the power cord installed.

As I said before the boss bought it so I did not question the purchase.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #34

Thank you all for your great comments. I learned a lot from everyone. I just ordered a PI EMS-PT30X. I'll be ready to go within the week. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN
Single Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #35

We got our new trailer in Ohio last week of Oct 2016 and camped back to AR. In 4 campgrounds and 2 bad pedestals... I was nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I got home and installed the PI. All life is good now.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #36

Got my new 2017 Wildcat Maxx T29rlx on Saturday, ordered the ems50 hardwire. How hard is it to install. I downloaded the video and install instructions. But haven't had a chance to go over them yet.

Thanks
willykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by willykel View Post
Got my new 2017 Wildcat Maxx T29rlx on Saturday, ordered the ems50 hardwire. How hard is it to install. I downloaded the video and install instructions. But haven't had a chance to go over them yet.

Thanks
Took me about an hour. I started by purchasing a meter of #6 cable and connecting that to the exit side of the EMS before I took it out to the RV. I then disconnected the power cable inside the RV where it connects to the consumer panel and fed that in to the entry side of the EMS. The end of the one meter section of the #6 I bought then attached to the consumer panel.

The hardest part is manipulating the wires of the cable into the correct places inside the EMS. #6 cable is no the most malleable materials.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:08 AM   #38

Just a newbie question----are these Surge Protectors just for large TTs? What about someone with a pop up with minimal electrical ?
Heymirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:34 AM   #39

Santini post #31 re: Honda EU3000i (handi) the fuel shutoff is before the carburetor and works in conjunction with ignition switch. Fuel bowl still has gas in it. If you want the fuel out of the fuel bowl, take off the back panel and open the screw at the bottom of the float bowl and drain it. Smart money says keep Stabil in the gas and run it at least every other month for a few minutes with something connected to one of the power outlets. You'll be glad you did.

@ Heymirth #38 Depends on what you have in your PUP or your future aspirations in RVing is. So many appliances in RVs have expensive to replace circuit boards that power surges may take out and some appliances ( AC units) affected by low voltage, which, is all too common in the heat of summer in crowded campgrounds with ageing electrical infrastructure. Your call! The PI 30A portable was my choice.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #40

Best Surge Protector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymirth View Post
Just a newbie question----are these Surge Protectors just for large TTs? What about someone with a pop up with minimal electrical ?

If your rig has any electrical equipment that you don't want damaged by voltage drops (brown outs) or voltage surges, thats what surge protectors are for. Anything in the rig or plugged into the rig.