Old 02-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #21

When we go camping and try a different campground, we walk around the campground and rate sites we like. Using the brochure we color code the different sites and the campground itself, then we add that brochure to a notebook. If we really like a park and want to go back we look at our book to get the best site available. I also keep a log on which direction gets the best Television reception, how level a site is and if there is any special attractions in the area. As to trying a new Campground word of mouth and a lot of internet time looking for what attractions are in the area, sometimes the campground is just a place to park.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNewbees View Post
I use the Allstays app to locate, read reviews, look at amenities etc. Been using it for 2 years to book every site we have stayed at. Couple screen shots

Attachment 45661

Attachment 45662

Attachment 45663
X2, Allstays Camp and RV is great. If you know where you are ending up then there are many sources of campgrounds that you can reference to find a good campground. My problem with Woodall's, beside the fact it takes two men and a boy to haul it around and that the print is written in "Little Ease" and hard to read is that if you are going on a multiple day trip you need to know the names of every little town you might want to camp in and then search thru the book. With Allstays, I just look at the map and the roads I will be using and can see all the campsites that are close to my location.

I can also see Walmarts, private Parks, KOAs, State Parks, County parks, Pilots, Flying J, TA, propane stations, RV stores and much more. I can also turn on hybrid or satellite mode to see what the campsite looks like and what might be close. I have also used hybrid mode to look a gas stations to see if they are easy in and out.

Once I see a camp ground I might want to use I can select it and a box pops up (see previous post) that gives me a summary of the CG and then selections to go to their web site or go to reviews of the CG. It is just so easy to use instead of thumbing thru a 400+ page book. If you know your route then you can just look at the campgrounds available along the way.

Also you can plan trips by just perusing the app and look at what is available in a certain area that you might want to venture off to. I think it is about $10 for the app and I think it comes for both IOS and android. You can't beat it.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #23
Wanna Be Camper

Google is my best friend. We plan our route to where we want to go using streets and trips and roughly caculate where we will be at the end of each day then look in that area for CG's with Google. Then we do as Mtnguy and check the CG's website if they have one and do a google earth view. Never really check reviews on CG's, if they have the things we want and are where we want to stop then we will give it a go.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #24

We will sometime turn on our GPS while driving around and just see what campgrounds are around us. then we'll drive thru and wright down site numbers that we think we'd like. We do this mostly in the off season. We found some really cool places that other wise we may never have know about.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #25

Google the Campsite name, look for a Face Book page and read the comments, not the info posted by the campground!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
X2, Allstays Camp and RV is great. If you know where you are ending up then there are many sources of campgrounds that you can reference to find a good campground. My problem with Woodall's, beside the fact it takes two men and a boy to haul it around and that the print is written in "Little Ease" and hard to read is that if you are going on a multiple day trip you need to know the names of every little town you might want to camp in and then search thru the book. With Allstays, I just look at the map and the roads I will be using and can see all the campsites that are close to my location.

I can also see Walmarts, private Parks, KOAs, State Parks, County parks, Pilots, Flying J, TA, propane stations, RV stores and much more. I can also turn on hybrid or satellite mode to see what the campsite looks like and what might be close. I have also used hybrid mode to look a gas stations to see if they are easy in and out.

Once I see a camp ground I might want to use I can select it and a box pops up (see previous post) that gives me a summary of the CG and then selections to go to their web site or go to reviews of the CG. It is just so easy to use instead of thumbing thru a 400+ page book. If you know your route then you can just look at the campgrounds available along the way.

Also you can plan trips by just perusing the app and look at what is available in a certain area that you might want to venture off to. I think it is about $10 for the app and I think it comes for both IOS and android. You can't beat it.
I've heard all the reviews, but I still have trouble justifying $10 for this app when most of the information is available for free. Might be good for road-trip RVers, but we usually pick our locations well in advance and then I'll search:

1) Good Sam Club and look for a) whether or not there's a discount and b) restroom rating.
2) KOA's / Jellystone (for the kids)
3) State parks.

I'll pull up the website for each of the parks in turn and gather what I can there. If a park doesn't have a website or it is very out of date, I tend to eliminate them. I know I might be eliminating some excellent, but albeit technologically impaired, campgrounds but that's the way I am.

When I'm looking at a campground in the States, I'll also look to see if there's any Yelp reviews. I don't bother over here on the Canadian side since there's rarely any reviews posted.

Once I narrow down to a few candidates, I'll use Google maps and look at the satellite views and the street views (which are more recent than the satellite views in most cases).

Taking all that into consideration, I'll debate for a couple of days, work out the perfect park that meets everybody's needs, and then....

Throw it all out the window after the wife settles on place with her sister because I took too long to make a decision.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38FLCamper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
this is the best place i've seen for campsites, though it has a limited number of campgrounds:

Campsite Photos, Camping Pictures, and Campground Reviews - campsitephotos.com
Ditto on this website. I use it often to help select a site if I'm not camping in my favorite spot. I wish the photos were updated more often as needed. Two of the campgrounds I camp at have made major changes to selected sites which doesn't reflect in the photos.

And ditto on the day trip to check out campgrounds. After visiting a beach campground I quickly found out that the site I had would not work well at all and it as ugly in person as it was in the photo in the website listed above.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I've heard all the reviews, but I still have trouble justifying $10 for this app when most of the information is available for free. Might be good for road-trip RVers, but we usually pick our locations well in advance and then I'll search:

1) Good Sam Club and look for a) whether or not there's a discount and b) restroom rating.
2) KOA's / Jellystone (for the kids)
3) State parks.

I'll pull up the website for each of the parks in turn and gather what I can there. If a park doesn't have a website or it is very out of date, I tend to eliminate them. I know I might be eliminating some excellent, but albeit technologically impaired, campgrounds but that's the way I am.

When I'm looking at a campground in the States, I'll also look to see if there's any Yelp reviews. I don't bother over here on the Canadian side since there's rarely any reviews posted.

Once I narrow down to a few candidates, I'll use Google maps and look at the satellite views and the street views (which are more recent than the satellite views in most cases).

Taking all that into consideration, I'll debate for a couple of days, work out the perfect park that meets everybody's needs, and then....

Throw it all out the window after the wife settles on place with her sister because I took too long to make a decision.
Kaadk, I agree to some point if you know where your going you can use multiple resources "free" to research campgrounds. I just find that the Allstays app is so visual and you can see every campground on a map. You can see if it is on a lake, on a railroad track (satellite mode) in seconds. It takes longer to log into Good Sam's or to google and search than to do this.

I live in Florida and know a lot of campgrounds to visit but sometimes I just like to explore parts of the state I would like to visit. You can find out in seconds where there are campgrounds and where there are non.

We also do longer trips and need places to stay on the way. It is very easy to look at what is available between say central Florida and North Carolina along I-75 or any other route.

As far as not worth $10 bucks, I hope you never invite me out for a beer :

I can understand why you might not want to buy it but personally I think it is the best app available to research campgrounds and it is visual. All campgrounds and other facilities are right on an easy to use roadmap. Once you select one then another window pops up to take you to reviews, the campsite web site, their phone number, ect... Enuf said... Good luck to OP on finding a method to find campgrounds but let me say, don't spend a lot of money on a big book before you spend $10 to check out this app and if not then take Kaadk out and spend $10 for a couple of beers

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #29
Site Team

Best way to find a good campsite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Kaadk, I agree to some point if you know where your going you can use multiple resources "free" to research campgrounds. I just find that the Allstays app is so visual and you can see every campground on a map. You can see if it is on a lake, on a railroad track (satellite mode) in seconds. It takes longer to log into Good Sam's or to google and search than to do this.

I live in Florida and know a lot of campgrounds to visit but sometimes I just like to explore parts of the state I would like to visit. You can find out in seconds where there are campgrounds and where there are non.

We also do longer trips and need places to stay on the way. It is very easy to look at what is available between say central Florida and North Carolina along I-75 or any other route.

As far as not worth $10 bucks, I hope you never invite me out for a beer :

I can understand why you might not want to buy it but personally I think it is the best app available to research campgrounds and it is visual. All campgrounds and other facilities are right on an easy to use roadmap. Once you select one then another window pops up to take you to reviews, the campsite web site, their phone number, ect... Enuf said... Good luck to OP on finding a method to find campgrounds but let me say, don't spend a lot of money on a big book before you spend $10 to check out this app and if not then take Kaadk out and spend $10 for a couple of beers

Oh, never fear. A beer is always worth spending $10.

I guess the biggest thing I have against allstays, aside from not being free, is that I don't trust that it's really all stays. At least when I checked out the allstays website it didn't seem to be comprehensive. But that's neither here nor there. I have a GS membership and a KOA membership and I have both of those apps loaded on my phone (though I tend to do my searches in front of the computer whenever I need a break from work). I figure I've paid for these discounts, they get first crack.

Since we don't road trip, I haven't had the need to find a place on the fly. In 20-25 years when the toddlers have grown up and moved out and we can retire into an RV and just travel, I might look into it then. Course, by that time Apple might have finally gotten Siri useful and I can just ask her.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradNFamily View Post
I also go to recreation.gov and look at cartoon like images of the campground layout, to see if a site is near the water or in a heavy traffic area.

Speaking of recreation.gov, does anyone have any tips on how to book a reservation way in advance for the nicer spots on the campground before they are all reserved? It seems that everytime I go to pick a spot near the river, they are already reserved for every weekend until Christmas! Why is that? How can I get a slip near the water without having to book over 2 years in advance! Ok, I am off my soapbox now!
It is my understanding, from 10 yrs. of use, that recreation.gov only lets you book sites 6 months in advance.