Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #1

Best way to mount TV on aluminum studs?

Going to buy a mount for the kids in the bunk house. The studs are aluminum. What is the best way to go about mounting it?

2006 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax with some added power / 2017 Salem Hemisphere 29BHHL
cburchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #2

The mount will go on the back wall below the outlets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1483411408519.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	127478  

2006 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax with some added power / 2017 Salem Hemisphere 29BHHL
Old 01-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
Site Team

The best way would be to through-bolt them through the wall, but you probably don't want to do that.

Buy one of those flat mounts that span across wall studs and then screw to the studs with large sheet metal screws. I'd even consider using 'moly-bolt' expanding anchors to secure it to the studs.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #4

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #5

Use stainless screws, steel screws will cause the aluminium to corrode. We see it all the time in the plants that we work in
Charles Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #6

I would use something like this....
Sanus SSMK1 Steel stud mounting kit for select Sanus TV mounts at Crutchfield.com

Here's a video that shows this.

I would be sure that whatever you buy, it not too long for the size of aluminum studs, and would be able to fit within the inner space of the stud which is usually 2" aluminum tubing, so inner space is likely to be 1 3/4" ish...
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:48 PM   #7

TV mount into aluminum studs

So, I watched the video, and while the video was interesting I don't think I'd take it as gospel for an RV install! It looks to be a video more for office than RV.
More easily patched drywall versus the thin sheet wood used in most RV's? I surely would NOT make several pilot holes and then take a 1/2 inch bit to it!
If you must though, tape a big stopper on the bit at the correct depth so you don't shoot through the wall and outside! That would really wreck a day!
I'd say check first and see if there is a manufacturer recommended spot in the area you want to do the install as I do believe most have a wooden area beefed up for a TV mount built into the wall.
I was told when I was looking at mounting a TV in the bedroom of our 2015 Wildcat Maxx, that didn't come with a labeled mount area, but had the obvious electric and cable hookup for that spot, to use inch and a half MAX depth screws and mount on the seam of the wallboard in that area and nothing too heavy! If really unsure, in my opinion, I would suggest taking it to a dealer and let them mount it. At least then if they mess up they have to fix it!
GOOD LUCK!!!
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #8

I'm worried that the thin aluminum studs would not be able to support a TV load when towing, especially on bumpy pothole ridden holes.

I would install a large piece of wood that distributes the weight of the TV and mount over a larger surface area and mounted in multiple spots on the studs.

Another option would be to use a mount that attaches to wooden studs on the ceiling.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:19 PM   #9

When I was unsure about my TV wall mount, I took the TV down and put it on the bed, face down, under pillows. Worked well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #10
Gold Tee Box

Two things, first I agree with Garrette in taking the TV down and placing it on the bed when traveling. The road can be so rough that it would shake the TV unnecessarily, and perhaps break the mount off the wall. Secondly, the mounts we have take four screws so you won't hit a stud with all of them.

https://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images...yRu/s-l225.jpg You can purchase more from Paw International on Ebay.

I added one in the bunk house and used spreading anchor mounts like wing-dings which makes it secure on the paneling. Again though, I would take the TV down when traveling.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #11

I would consider Jack Nuts.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, mount