Old 04-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
Prior to leaving home I go on the pilot/flying J website and map out my fuel stops. If there are none where I'm headed I will also look at the T/A site. Since I've been to florida a few times I know which ones to avoid based on how difficult it is to fuel (I've found this a couple of times). I also like the satellite view for the station. One, to see how easy the access to the pumps are and second, because as we all know the gps isn't always accurate. My tank holds 36 gallons and I carry an additional 10 gallons (just in case).

As far as diesel goes many of those stations do not want RV's filling up out back in the big truck lanes.

Oh yeah, I also make sure I fill up my cans and truck in South Carolina coming and going as this state normally has the best fuel prices on my trips south.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou
I have a REAL problem with even large gas stations that do not mark their diesel pumps more plainly.

Pulling into a busy Sunoco for example and trying to break my neck looking for which pumps have two hoses before I get into the wrong lane is very frustrating, especially on the PA Turnpike (or other limited access highway) where you only get one shot at the pump and no way to turn around and change the fuel lane.

I carry 10 gallons of spare diesel in the bed and have used it VERY often when I needed to get to the next best gas station.

You would think when they see me pulled over right before the on ramp cursing up a storm while filling my tank from the yellow gas cans, they would get the idea.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
Whenever I pull into a station that looks like it might be a problem, I park off to the side and walk over to the pumps to see where I need to go. I have found some places that actally had the diesel pumps in a completely different area. And I have also found many that have the RV diesel pumps in the same row as the big rigs.
You just never know what you're up against, so a little walk is worth it.

But that is why I tend to stick to the truck stops, as they always have lots of room to manouver.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
I haven't yet put the yellow cans in the bed of my truck but I have been mostly staying within 200 miles of home. My next trip to Florida (FL panhandle area east of Pensacola the price of diesel goes up quite a bit until you turn south on I-75) or the trip this summer to Cheyenne and beyond I will have those yellow cans.

My real aid is YP on my Android. It really helps in locating the cheapest stops for fuel. It won't tell you who has the RV friendly pumps, but I find I can get into all but a few.

Our refueling routine is not unlike an ocean going ship. The pardette likes to drive on the Interstates as she is a lousy passenger. When we start getting into the harbor she has the river pilot (me) so I can dock the ship and clear the obstacles. Once we clear the harbor she takes over the helm.
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Lady & Chloe, 2013 39 days, 2014 59 days
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Has anyone stopped at a Loves Travel Center ?? Are they roomy for those of us towing a 34 foot 5th wheel and need gas for fuel ???
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
I was forced to fill up at a Loves once.
I think they pumped the water out of the ditch to fill their fuel tanks, as my truck would barely run.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
We've used the Pocket Truck Stop Guide for the last couple of years. Most major roads with mile markers for fuel stops.

The Pocket Truck Stop Guide - Find Your Next Stop In Seconds...

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
I use the "All Stays Camp & RV" app for iPhone

It has way more than gas stops but I use it to find flying J and other truck stops.

2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn V8 Hemi
Previous Trailer -> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
Has anyone stopped at a Loves Travel Center ?? Are they roomy for those of us towing a 34 foot 5th wheel and need gas for fuel ???
i find that most Love's are pretty tight, unless you can get onto the end pumps and have an exit path w/o having to go acroos the front of the station
Rick and Linda, Lindale, TX
2011 Flagstaff 8528 CKSS
2006 F350 SW
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #20
When we make the trip from Ontario to Florida we use the " I-75 travel book" it gives the maps page by page and also all the exits and what is at each exit it even tells you which gas outlets that can be accessed with a trailer, really good book authored by Dave Hunter got it from amazon.

DDC is online now   Reply With Quote