Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 11:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Sure glade I live in GA. If I lived where you folks do I'd be broke in 2days. LaterRJD
X2. My property taxes just went from $660 to $685 a YEAR. That’s for 3,300 sq. ft. house, 1,800 sq. ft barn and carport sitting on 17 acres. Added benefit is motor homes (even a $$$$ Prevost) only pay $20 a year for tags as long as it was originally registered in Georgia.

Bad side is trailers get hit hard. My 32 foot Vengeance was $185 a year.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Here's an article on the ruling.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/20/u...eme-court.html

While it didn't involve Cash, it pretty much set the tone for future cases where the seizure amounted to an unreasonable "fine", especially if due process wasn't followed prior to the seizure.
Civil Asset Forfeitures are A Live and Going Strong. This Supreme Court case does show that it is Constitutionally illegal as stated by the Supreme Court.... But.... the United States Congress and Most/All States still allow it to go on. I have talked to State and National Congress People and they 'ALL' 'say' that it 'should be' illegal' but 'laws' say that it is on going. The money is way to massive in large and small 'forfeitures'. The cost to go to the courts to get your money/stuff back by suing is in most times higher than the cost of money/stuff taken. State and Federal laws are still against the Citizen. This court case can be pointed to to 'stop/slow down' asset forfeitures, but until the offending agency is heavily fined and taken to task, the practice will continue for a while. The State where I live in Asset Forfeitures that most of the 'assets' must be turned over to the state. What agencies then do is charge the 'forfeitures' through Federal Laws and not state law and the agencies can keep around 80% of the forfeiture and the Feds get around 20%.

I was told by a Federal Representative when I asked "why are you all passing unConstitutional Laws?"... I was told that 'they' can pass any law that they want...Constitutional or other wise... until the Supreme Court says that it is 'wrong' and that could take years to go through the courts and THEN THE Courts had better have the FORCE (Police/Military) to ENFORCE their decision. It is the Police/Feds/States, that benefit from taking 'your' stuff..... you think that 'they' will 'enforce' a decision for them to stop taking your stuff??? not until 'they' are forced.... by The People. (and 'the people' are to wimpy to stop them)

Asset Forfeiture will be around for a few more years.... The money/assets that are stolen is too much of a temptation

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Old 08-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #23

I OWE I OWE IT'S OFF TO WORK I GO!
Old 08-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #24

The state I came from collected taxes annually on personal property. Annually, the appraiser would come around and ask what we had.When they knocked on the door, they would ask what we had in personal property including things like fishing poles and how many, furniture, etc. Rather than offer information, I had them read down the list. If it is not on the list, we don't have it. If we didn't have it anymore, we told them to remove it. They asked to come in and we refused and I recall them asking why I was so hostile. I told them flat out, get another job, come back and we will be friends. It was ridiculous to pay sales tax when purchasing an item, then paying a recurring tax annually.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #25

Let them take grandma's money and see how the news media crucifies every politician in the state for stealing granny's savings! But you're right never trust a politician, especially when they can put their hand in your pocket and the laws they made let's them.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
Old 08-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Our state even taxes when you die. Sales tax is charged on your coffin and I believe our state legislature is making professional services subject to sales tax too. Lawyers, CPA's, Barbers, and yes, even Funeral Directors. Here that's a 10% hit.

Another tax insult is property tax. Even after my house is paid for I'll have a $400/more pmt just for the property tax.
Property tax is another government scam. It's rent paid to the government for the "privilege" of "owning" your home. Think you actually own your home? Try not paying taxes for a year or two and see how long you actually own it.
That's one of the reasons I contemplate living full time in an RV. Get away from paying property tax. Of course, I'll still have registration fees, inspection fees, gas taxes, etc, but I'm ok with paying gas tax to have nice roads to drive on.

I've been trying to talk my wife into buying and living on a sail boat. I figure that's about the best way to give the govt the least amount of my money.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #27

Quote:
I even have to pay income tax on 85% of my SS benefits.
Now you have hit a sore spot. I payed into a law enforcement pension for 28 yrs. I have payed into SS both prior and post that job for another 20 years, including several years in a major health system administration. My monthly SS check is $265/mo. Try living on that. SS figured all of the years that I didn't pay into SS for their calculations. And they tax me on that. A whopping one percent on a CD? Yup, that gets taxed. A foreigner gets more than that coming here illegally. Go figure
Old 08-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #28

Wow....that's inexpensive. We pay about 2.5% of appraised value for our property taxes here where we live in Texas. Travis County (Austin) pays about 3.1%. Luckily our house is pretty inexpensive, but the average house around here costs over 300k. And then the poor owners have to pay another 2-3 thousand per 100k in taxes depending on what county they're in, so another 9000 per year on the average house here. My in-laws are now paying more in taxes on their house than they did when they bought it and were paying taxes, mortgage, and interest.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #29
NXR

Quote:
Recent SCOTUS ruling pretty much put an end to that, at least the way it was put in practice.
So the government has to follow current law? Doubtful. Due to sovereign immunity they can do pretty much what they want unless you want to battle them to un-do it.

Been there, done that, got the court papers to prove it. Not fun at all (not a civil forfeiture issue, though).

Ray
Old 08-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #30
NXR

Correct, escheatment involves unclaimed funds turned over to the state but you can still get it back as others have noted. Multiple very large banks claimed they could not contact me or relatives at addresses we lived at for decades, still lived at, and still had active accounts at those banks.

Insurance companies are another group that does that. Refunds, mutual to stock conversion money, they just turn it over because they have no incentive to do a better job in finding people. But they will get penalized if they don't turn it over, so away it goes (temporarily).

Ray
Old 08-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #31
Site Team

Thread closed....
it has veered away from the original subject which itself was not RVing related to begin with.

Happy Trails!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Closed Thread

Tags
tire