Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Inveterate Tinkerer

Big Wind Tamed by Propride 3P

Just picked up our new Windjammer 3065W last Tuesday at Bob Thomas in Wentzville, Mo. Good place, by the way, if you are close by check them out! Anyway, they had to install the hitch and it was early afternoon when we pulled out to head the 75 miles home. Weather scortching hot and some cloud buildup ahead. The closer we got towards home the worse the clouds looked. We were approaching Louisiana Mo. on US 54, wind rising, trees blowing around, wind was quartering off our left rear, but no sway, no tugging with gusts, really the trailer could hardly be felt. My co-pilot (spouse) wanted to pull over and wait out the roll clouds and wind, but I elected to continue as the TT felt OK. Anyone who has driven US54 and crossed the Mississippi River at Louisiana Mo. knows that the Champ Clark bridge is old, high, narrow, and gets your attention when traffic is approaching you.
Well, the front caught us up on the bridge, whitecaps on the river, were just being flattened by the velocity of the wind! I have no idea what the windspeed was, but it was HIGH. Our truck has a soft tonneau cover with reinforcing bars under it and locks in at the tailgate. The wind sucked it out of the locks and threw it up on the cab and then banged it back and forth between the bed and cab. We have ventshades over the windows and the drivers window parted company with us. Violent wind! The next thing that happened is hard to believe.... I know for an absolute fact that the steps were stowed properly, YET, the 2 bottom steps unfolded out and drug slightly on the bridge curb rail! I hardly think it is possible, but it happened. I have no idea how much wind pressure would cause that, but must be a lot.
I am now a disciple of the Propride 3P hitch because through it all, that trailer never fishtailed, walked, canted, or pulled us sideways in that wind.
As soon as we crossed the river and got off the bridge and we pulled into a marina lot and headed directly into the wind and rode out the rest of it. About 30 minutes later the storm subsided some what, so we ventured on up 54. We didnt get far as The road was closed by big big trees across the highway in New Hartford, Il. We eventually got home, but what a first trip for the new TT!!!

Randy and Cheryl
Sir Guinness-(Manchester Terrier)
2012 Windjammer 3065W
Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison
ProPride 3P
Iluv2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good testimonial for the Propride.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS