Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #1

Bigger gets dumber -My Amazon Story

It seems that the larger the company the dumber it gets.

My story starts with the ordering of some kitchen items I plan on giving to my soon to be daughter-in-law for Christmas. Four separate pieces on three separate orders. I placed the order(s) with no problem and they arrived just as indicated with one exception. The driver delivered 3 of the four items at one time and then came back a couple hours later with the fourth item. Apparently overlooked it in her truck and found it just as she was returning to base.

Now the fun begins. I kept seeing notices from Amazon in my e-mail apologizing for the delay, saying that the items I ordered were delayed and "we are working on it". This went on for three days and then the messages started saying "Undeliverable, contact us for replacement or refund. Puzzled as I have already boxed the items and am ready to wrap them for Christmas.

I figure that they've had a glitch in their system, most likely the driver's scanner (or perhaps the driver) malfunctioned and didn't report the packages as delivered. I decided to contact Amazon and tell them I have the packages. Of course there is no phone number to do this, you have to go through the process of reporting a problem with the item online and you then get a series of selections. I selected the one that said "I've received my order" or something like that. That led to a "Chat" with a computer. I finally told the "computer" I would only talk to a human and left my phone number.

20 minutes of explaining that I HAVE the items I ordered and they could clear their records and finally I THOUGHT I had it solved.

Three more days of notices that "we're working on getting your order to you' and then today I get an e-mail saying "We've refunded your account (Credit Card) for the (amount of purchase)".

Here's my dilemma. I have received the merchandise and it appears that I will also receive the money I paid for it. I have this "honesty gene" that tells me I should be paying for what I get but I'm up against the largest retailer in the World, their Computer, and some of the dumbest customer service people I have ever encountered (and yes, there was a language issue).

What to do? Keep everything and just keep shaking my head or once again contact them and try to explain how they screwed up?

All that money at Amazon, owned by the Worlds richest man, and they can't seem to "buy a brain". Neither electronic nor human.

What's strange is that I never saw this with Sears and yet Sears is the one going bankrupt.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #2

Call Amazon at 1 (888) 280-4331

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #3

I also have the honesty gene.. However I also have the, " How much time do I need to spend to fix someone elses mistake and how valuable is my time" gene..
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Call Amazon at 1 (888) 280-4331

I ended up speaking with a person but couldn't figure out if their native language was Spanish, Chinese, or perhaps both. I had a hard time understanding her, and she could barely understand me. After 20 minutes of talking with a real person I THOUGHT I'd resolved THEIR issue.

Apparently calling directly is no better than the online option.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #5
Site Team

I wouldn't fret over it too much. It's their mistake and if they want to pay for it, let them.

My daughters have run into similair issues when buying things from overseas. If they get something and it isn't right or doesn't fit or whatever, they'll contact the company and get told to just keep it and they will send out a replacement.

So they end up with 2 of whatever they bought and just give away or sell the first one that they can't use.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #6

same here sent us a double order we were never able to get it returned.
also i work for a trucking company that moves their freight TV's Kayaks, computers an so on. during peak we will move on average 75 to 100 trailer we have been working with them for several years per day. thee folks do not know how to label. i would estimate we have several hundred TV's numerous kayaks and other various thing in our main OS&D area what more than not will never get resolved.
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
Scoundrel

Order more.....

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #8

Odds are if you ever "fix" it they just charge you to ship back the items you recieved and then double charge you.

My neighbor bought a snow blower from them and it was damaged in shipping. They did not want it back and shipped him a new one. He repaired the broken one and sold it.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
i would estimate we have several hundred TV's numerous kayaks and other various thing in our main OS&D area what more than not will never get resolved.

Don't they eventually sell all those items in the OS&D department off to a liquidator.

Turning it into cash sounds like a resolution to me.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Don't they eventually sell all those items in the OS&D department off to a liquidator.

Turning it into cash sounds like a resolution to me.
The government says we have a year to resolve then we can sell which we do, you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that goes unclaimed
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #11

Keep track of the time you spend trying to fix their mistake charging them $75 per hour as a consultant. When you reach the amount you paid for the items stop helping them and keep the items and any monies refunded.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #12
geezer with gadgets

I'm with you on the honesty gene thingy. I have donated such "unexpected" monies to charity in the past. Just a suggestion...

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #13

Quote:
I ended up speaking with a person but couldn't figure out if their native language was Spanish, Chinese, or perhaps both. I had a hard time understanding her, and she could barely understand me. After 20 minutes of talking with a real person I THOUGHT I'd resolved THEIR issue.

Apparently calling directly is no better than the online option.
Thats because the call center is in the Philippines. Once you get on the phone you can ask for someone in the states and they will transfer you . I had the same issue and I had to contact them because my "honesty gene" was telling me to do the right thing as well .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #14
Enjoying Life

Quote:
It seems that the larger the company the dumber it gets.

<SNIP>

The driver delivered 3 of the four items at one time and then came back a couple hours later with the fourth item. Apparently overlooked it in her truck and found it just as she was returning to base.

More than likely when the driver was given their load the package did not scan as leaving the facility or it was a check package which should have been returned to Amazon and they would have sent it back out with another driver. She followed the route and package instructions for her load and then found the "extra". She then proceeded to get the package to you because either:
A) she is honest and wanted to get it to you. (The preferred answer)
B) she wasn't sure it was a check package and delivered it anyway.
C) she didn't know about the check package setup and delivered it.

Based on your experience I will say it left without being scanned and she got it to you anyway. I believe in the basic honesty of people.

If it was a check package, Amazon doesn't want to admit they were using your package as a test of the driver and it didn't go the way they had planned.

I think you have satisfied any requirement on your part to set it straight. Now, do what you feel is right; keep it, donate it or the cash and move on.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #15
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
Thats because the call center is in the Philippines. Once you get on the phone you can ask for someone in the states and they will transfer you . I had the same issue and I had to contact them because my "honesty gene" was telling me to do the right thing as well .

Actually they have many call centers, so they can handle 24/7. You get one by luck of the draw, time of day or day. And you are right you can request to be transferred on the phone or when using chat.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post

I think you have satisfied any requirement on your part to set it straight. Now, do what you feel is right; keep it, donate it or the cash and move on.
Like someone posted earlier "what is my time worth".

I'm going to just keep it and figure I have been compensated for my time.

Don't think the loss to Amazon will harm their profitability

Old 12-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #17

I always try to be honest... you did. I then would continue with life.

My experiences with Amazon Prime have been positive. I only recall 2 instances with purchases. One was a "scratch and dent" item and came in miss boxed and was instructed on freight free return and credit was issued. One other issue I recall was a "delivered" item we never got. Waited another week and gave up and called. They issued a "credit" and the next day it was in the mail box(I assume there was no issue with the re-bill/no credit as the daughter handles it). The package was left on the front porch of the neighbors house and they didn't find it till a week later. YMMV
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #18

If you can't rectify the situation and you receive a refund then what I would do is donate to the Church Poor box or one of the Red Salvation Army Kettles.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #19

I wouldn't worry about it. Amazon is a big company and they do a lot of dumb (to us) things.
Just last week one of my orders was for a button battery for my camera. It came in a shoe sized box. Talk about over packaging.
On another order from last week I checked the tracking number and saw that it was coming from a town 40 miles away. I assumed I would get it the next day, so when I checked the tracking number again it was in Louisville, Ky. 350 miles south of me.Then it went to Indianapolis, In. 110 miles north. Then it went to Chicago, another 180 miles north. It then was sent to a distribution point another 40 miles south. A 700 mile trip for an item that was only 40 miles away. What a waste of money for delivery on Amazon's part.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #20
SRN

Just went through this with Amazon, which is usually pretty good. Update showed item was delivered but I never got it. Went around the horn several times with Amazon with the last person telling me that I should go door-to-door and ask neighbors if they found my item on their doorstep. They finally issued a refund. Two weeks later the UPS truck pulls in, driver hands me the item. Contacted Amazon & they weren't interested. I tried.
SRN is offline   Reply With Quote