Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #1

Bike rack question from a newbie

We purchased our first TT in January. We have only been out to see it a couple times but we noticed before that it looked like there is a bike receiver built into the bumper. The TT is inside a storage building and parked up against the wall so it's not that easy to get back there and check it out. Is that something that is an option on TT's or maybe we are just mistaken and didn't look at it close enough. We bought it from a car dealership so we don't know anything about the previous owners except that they bought the camper to go mountain biking. So I assume that is why the bike hookup is there. Do RV manufacturers offer special bumpers for bike racks with a receiver built into it?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #2

I do not know if they offer it but I have seen a lot of aftermarket brackets and receiver hitches put onto the rear bumpers of TTs for that purpose. Some beef up the bumper to hold the weight and force others just stick em on there. I thought about it but after hearing and seeing some horror stories I just keep my bike in the back of my truck or I put it inside my TT. My bike is a $3k Cannondale and I dont want it coming off, the hitch breaking or it denting that back of my TT. I am overly cautious with my expensive stuff but there are others that do it with no hesitation and no problems.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
We purchased our first TT in January. We have only been out to see it a couple times but we noticed before that it looked like there is a bike receiver built into the bumper. The TT is inside a storage building and parked up against the wall so it's not that easy to get back there and check it out. Is that something that is an option on TT's or maybe we are just mistaken and didn't look at it close enough. We bought it from a car dealership so we don't know anything about the previous owners except that they bought the camper to go mountain biking. So I assume that is why the bike hookup is there. Do RV manufacturers offer special bumpers for bike racks with a receiver built into it?
That is more then likely after market. I check closely for any cracks or distortion to the frame. I pretty sure that not a factory option for any microlight from FR. Becareful of the weight that you put on it from the bounce you will get from the USA great interstate system....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

We had a 2 inch receiver welded onto our back bumper and it was reinforced with angle iron. Quality job. Bike rack has to be tight as soon as the trailer starts to bounce the bike rack amplifies the bounce. I use a length of rope to tighten the three bikes to the rack and with the same rope tie the rack to the bumper. It does not move. I went this route as I was tired of trying to fit three bikes in the bed of the truck and we usually are within a few hours of our destination.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, newbie