Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #1

Bike storage & transport?

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions/comments on bicycle storage and transport...

Back of the truck generally get pretty full with other gear, and was thinking about having a reciever welded to the rear of the TT frame to host a rack for them.

I've seen front mount (over the tongue), but not sure if this will fit for me.

What are you using?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:38 PM   #2

How many do you have to transport? We have two and transport them inside the trailer. I just put a couple of blankets around them to prevent damage to the interior of the trailer.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #3

I have heard and seen trailer hitches on the back of TT for bike carriers.......the only thing you would have to worry about is weight distribution and not bringing the tongue weight up. I know this is a concern on smaller trailers but I think your Roo will be ok. Make sure you load up the front of the trailer with your gear to level the weight.

You will also have to remember your slide out is there also, you may have to take bikes off to slide out your bed if doing a quick stayover while travelling, or you would have to leave the slide in.

I am currently modding a setup for the bikes in the back of my pickup, I haven't finished yet, but will post the pics when it is done.

Night's camped in 2010 36
MrSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #4

4 bikes total, 2 adult and 2 children.

I asked about the rear reciever at the dealership, and they commented that they have welded many receivers to the frame, so this is still an option.

If I do go this route, I think I could safely manage it by proper loading, and the correct hitch set-up... but again, I'm new to the whole deal.

I do run a rack on top of the truck, so maybe I'll just buy the brackets to haul them up there....

I look forward to your pics, MrSen.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Maybe you could buy a reciever for the front of the truck and carry the two larger bikes up there. It might come in handy for other things, too. Like spotting the trailer or adding a cargo tote.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #6

We carried our 3 bikes in the trailer in prior years pulling with a conversion van. The design of the trailer did not accomodate adding a receiver on back. This year we have the pickup and are adding 2 kayaks to the mix. I am fashioning a combination bike/boat rack for the pickup. The rack will serve as a place to store the kayaks between trips in some corner of the back yard and will be made so that totes of wood & other stuff can be loaded under the rack in the truck bed - kind of a 3-tier event. Seems the more we camp the more we accumulate!
Grand Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #7

Checked on this thread again and realized that everything is already covered from front to back in only 6 posts!

#1 - opening post, and started on the back of the TT
#2 - inside the TT
#3 - back of truck
#4 - (me again) thinking about the top of the truck
#5 - front of the truck
#6 - back on top of the TV

Only thing missing now is someone carrying them in the cab!
(another possibility )

Keep’em coming people!
Anyone have negative experiences with bike storage to direct me away from any location?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:47 AM   #8

Hey MN308
I got an extended cab and tried that but I kept getting a handle bar in the ear and a pedal in the. let's just say it doesn't work.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaff View Post
Hey MN308
I got an extended cab and tried that but I kept getting a handle bar in the ear and a pedal in the. let's just say it doesn't work.

LOL........Well, that was going to be my next suggestion.......LOL.

MrSen

Night's camped in 2010 36
MrSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #10

That is a good one flagstaff!

For some reason it reminded me of a steep downhill descent in a regular cab long box truck, that began with a large generator loosely loaded near the tailgate... didn't take too long before we realized that the generator really wanted to ride in the cab with us.

Glad it wasn't my truck and I wasn't the one driving.

Now, back to the bikes... Where and how is everyone bringing them along?
Old 03-23-2007, 06:40 AM   #11

Really two adult bikes on a ladder rack. A little unhandy at times but efficient.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #12

We transport two (20") kids bikes and two ("26") adult bikes on the rear of trailer. The bike rack is bolted on and I've never had problems with it. Can actually act as a platform when bikes are off. I think my loa is about 35' with rack. Still not optimal and can be difficult to work bikes on and off when there is a steep slope behind the pad.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:39 AM   #13

Chemisd

Do you have any pics available of your set-up? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
How many do you have to transport? We have two and transport them inside the trailer. I just put a couple of blankets around them to prevent damage to the interior of the trailer.
I was planning to store inside TT. So there is plenty of room to put through door? i think the doors are about 30 inches wide arent they

thanks and hope you are well

phil
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #15

Do you have pictures of your rack and how you mounted the bikes?
zgoose68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #16
Site Team

I want to build a tongue mount but I haven't yet. I have the design all worked out in my head. I just can't get my derrière in gear. I'll post pics one of these days when I get around to fabricating it.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_308 View Post
Checked on this thread again and realized that everything is already covered from front to back in only 6 posts!

#1 - opening post, and started on the back of the TT
#2 - inside the TT
#3 - back of truck
#4 - (me again) thinking about the top of the truck
#5 - front of the truck
#6 - back on top of the TV

OK, how about position #7?? I have a Trac Rack system with tonneau cover on my truck. I had a bunch of left-over Yak Rack parts from previous vehicle set-ups, so I came up with this: I made adapters to connect a Yak Rack gutter mount to my Trac Rack rails, added 6.5" crossmembers, and Yak Copperhead bike racks to the mix. Total amount additional money spent was under $5 for aluminum flatbar and screws.

This system has worked out good for us. It is a little trouble to step over the racks if I need to get to the front of the bed (if I can't get to the item by reaching over the side), but doable. If you don't have any type of bed rail system, then you could clamp it or bolt it to the bed rail.

Chap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck 001.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1166  
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike