Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #1

Black/Gray Tank Monitor

I have found tons of people who have issues with their tank monitors, but usually they are showing more than what they have. I have the opposite issue, my gray water monitor never goes higher than 1/3 even after my wife showers three times and washes dishes 3-4 times.

Recently she was in the shower and it was so full it started to flood the tub. She always checks the monitor before she gets in. I checked the monitor when she yelled and it said 1/3 full. Clearly it was 4/3 full since it was backing up into the tub.

To my knowledge this has never been right, but of course when we notice it we have passed our year on the TT. Any suggestions on what may cause this other than the systems are cheap and flawed? I know very little about how they work to troubleshoot.
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #2

Does the gray tank show empty after the tank is emptied? (As in, the 1/3 indicator light goes out.)

There should be 3 sensors on the tank: 1/3, 2/3, and full. Each one completes a circuit and lights the corresponding indicator light (the empty indicator is always hot so always lit).

If your gray tank's 1/3 indicator light goes out after being emptied it sounds like the wiring from the tank to the panel is okay (there is only a single wire from each tank to the panel, plus a common ground).

Normally "something" in the tank is stuck to a sensor, completing the circuit when the water level is not actually that high (e.g., panel shows 2/3 full when the tank is empty). In your case it appears the top two sensors are not working, disconnected, or covered by "something" that is non-conductive. I doubt it is the latter since it appears like the gray tank sensors have never worked.

Can you get to the sensors?

Mike
Tinmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
Does the gray tank show empty after the tank is emptied? (As in, the 1/3 indicator light goes out.)

There should be 3 sensors on the tank: 1/3, 2/3, and full. Each one completes a circuit and lights the corresponding indicator light (the empty indicator is always hot so always lit).

If your gray tank's 1/3 indicator light goes out after being emptied it sounds like the wiring from the tank to the panel is okay (there is only a single wire from each tank to the panel, plus a common ground).

Normally "something" in the tank is stuck to a sensor, completing the circuit when the water level is not actually that high (e.g., panel shows 2/3 full when the tank is empty). In your case it appears the top two sensors are not working, disconnected, or covered by "something" that is non-conductive. I doubt it is the latter since it appears like the gray tank sensors have never worked.

Can you get to the sensors?

Mike

I'll check this when I head over to the storage lot this weekend. Thanks for the help. I have never checked after empty to see if it still says 1/3 full.
Central Ohio
Old 07-16-2015, 08:00 AM   #4

Even though your RV is over a year old, your dealer may give you a courtesy check on the sensors. That is if you cannot get to them yourself.

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
Even though your RV is over a year old, your dealer may give you a courtesy check on the sensors. That is if you cannot get to them yourself.

That might be the funniest thing I have ever heard. Had my dealer, Tom Raper, not been bought out by Camping World then there is a chance you may have been correct. Honestly I am not even sure I would want CW touching my TT. It seems like every day someone posts another horror story of CW messing their unit up.
Central Ohio
Old 07-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

If by chance the light is out after you emty then the next outing when you drain dump a bunch of Ice down the black and try also to get some down the gray. Drive home and then flush. I had issues with the black and this cured my problems. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #7

Usually when a sensor or sensors are covered with "something" it is conductive, therefore completes the circuit leading to a reading on the panel that is higher than the actual tank level. In this case it is the opposite. For that to be the case here the top two sensors--out of three--would have to be covered with something that is not conductive. Possible, but in my opinion not likely.

Without getting too boring (I hope) there is a resistor before the 1/3 and 2/3 sensors, and no resistor on the full sensor (the resistors are in a little "puck"). This varies the voltage to the single line run to the panel. The panel has a voltage comparator chip (for each tank, plus battery). This chip reads the voltage coming in and uses that to light up the appropriate indicator lights.

Hopefully the OP can find out more this weekend. As getting to the sensors could be difficult it sure would be easier if a cleaning fixes it.

Mike
Old 07-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #8

It might just be easier to forget about the whole thing. Just find another way to accomplish your goal. Maybe a grey dump every other day would work. Just make it a part of your ordinary camping routine.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Troubleshooting the tank monitoring system

The hardest part of troubleshooting the tank level sensors it gaining access to the sensors.

Your issue is pretty straight forward and sounds like a possible broken wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 008.jpg
Views:	1641
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	83083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 044.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	83084   Click image for larger version

Name:	pigtail ohms.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	83085  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KIB Monitor Panel M21 Wireing Diagram.pdf (51.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: pdf Micro Monitor Panel Troubleshooting.pdf (149.2 KB, 177 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #10

Ok so I was able to get under the TT today and all of the wires are connected and seem to be in good shape. I also filled it up and drove it around about 30 miles. Seems to always show 1/3 even when tank is 100% empty.
Central Ohio
Old 07-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetanu539 View Post
Ok so I was able to get under the TT today and all of the wires are connected and seem to be in good shape. I also filled it up and drove it around about 30 miles. Seems to always show 1/3 even when tank is 100% empty.
You can test the panel by removing the cover and removing the grey wire that comes from the grey tank and swapping it with one of the other tanks' wires. If it still shows 1/3 and on the grey indicator it could be the panel circuit board.

Mike

Tags
black, tank