Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #1

Black Tank Cleanout ?

So here is my dilemma. We are usually dry campers, so when we have to empty our black water we always do so at a dump station that has a hose bib to provide water. I still clean my tank with the wand and my gray hose designated for my black tank flush only.

However when we stay at a full hook up, what is the protocol for flushing out your black tank water? I have only stayed at a full hook up once so I wasn't sure if I could disconnect my fresh water hose and connect my gray water hose to the same hose bib and flush my tank. I didn't do that, I just ran lots of water through the tank and tried to flush it that way.

Is it considered a No No to hook up your gray water hose that I use to flush my black tank to the same hose bib that is supplying my fresh water to my camper for showers and washing etc...?

Thanks in advance.

2013 Roo 233S
TV 2015 Tahoe LT
Anderson5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #2

I use a 10 foot hose from hose bib to a hand valve then have my black flush hose hooked to it. Also use bleach on these hoses even though I know the one that is hooked to the bib is fine.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #3

I always put a splitter on the hose bib and have 2 designated hoses, one for fresh and one for flush. I dont have in tank flush system so I use one of the clear flush connectors with the water hose connection to back flush my tank. I also leave the valve closed at full connections and dont dump until 2/3 full, more flow out of the tank the better.
Cuzdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #4

I attach to the faucet a brass backflow prevention valve that I got at Lowe's for a few dollars. To that I hook my dedicated black hose for the flushing. I'm fairly certain that my black tank flush system has its own backflow prevention, but I use the additional one to be safe. Before and after this operation, both the faucet and the brass valve get sprayed with a sanitizing solution.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #5

Thanks guys for the suggestions...Appreciate it!
Old 08-14-2015, 01:31 AM   #6

Should go without saying but I guess you cannot say it too often. NEVER LEAVE THE BLACK TANK VALVE OPEN, except during that actual flush. IT STAYS CLOSED FOR USE.
Leaving it open drains away all the liquids and leaves only petrified piled solids to REALLY MESS UP A TANK
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #7

I never said anything about leaving my blank tank open when hooked up to full hookups. I know to leave that shut until I am ready to leave and clean the tanks! I sure wouldn't want a bigger mess then that tank already makes!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson5280 View Post
So here is my dilemma. We are usually dry campers, so when we have to empty our black water we always do so at a dump station that has a hose bib to provide water. I still clean my tank with the wand and my gray hose designated for my black tank flush only.

However when we stay at a full hook up, what is the protocol for flushing out your black tank water? I have only stayed at a full hook up once so I wasn't sure if I could disconnect my fresh water hose and connect my gray water hose to the same hose bib and flush my tank. I didn't do that, I just ran lots of water through the tank and tried to flush it that way.

Is it considered a No No to hook up your gray water hose that I use to flush my black tank to the same hose bib that is supplying my fresh water to my camper for showers and washing etc...?

Thanks in advance.

2013 Roo 233S
TV 2015 Tahoe LT
I have a "Y" connection I use to hook a separate hose to for everything but my fresh water. Keep the black tank valve closed till 1/ to 2/3 full. After empting the black and grey tanks I use that hose on the black tank cleanout. Afterwards sanitize the end of that hose, or at the very least use the outside shower to wash it down. I don't have a back flow preventer on that hose but have a valve on both ends of it. I keep a spray bottle with a 1/3 mix of bleach handy for sanitation.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank