Old 05-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

Black tank exhaust vents

Hi Everyone,

Have a 5th Wheel - Sandpiper SAQ365. Want to install a Cyclone vent but once on the roof notice there are 5 vents.

How may of these are for the black tank?
How to identify if black tank vent?
Are there grey tank vents?
How to locate which vent is what?

There is 1.5 baths, indoor kitchen sink, outside kitchen sink and outside shower.

Any thoughts on these type of vents to help minimize odors?

Thank and happy camping.
Tulio

Old 05-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

In a house all drains attach to air stacks. This could be the same in a RV as well. Maybe you could do a sniff test on each vent above the bathrooms.

2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:20 AM   #3

One thing you can do to determine the black tank vent is to ensure the tank is empty and hooked up to sewer and then using the black tank flush turn it on with the valve closed and put some dawn dish soap down the toilet. Using the flush system it will start to bubble and then when filling it will force it (bubbles) out the top vent. Put about 1/2 to 3/4 cup to ensure good amount of bubbles. Once you see which vent is black remember to drain. Don't ask how I know this it was by accident when cleaning my tank.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
One thing you can do to determine the black tank vent is to ensure the tank is empty and hooked up to sewer and then using the black tank flush turn it on with the valve closed and put some dawn dish soap down the toilet. Using the flush system it will start to bubble and then when filling it will force it (bubbles) out the top vent. Put about 1/2 to 3/4 cup to ensure good amount of bubbles. Once you see which vent is black remember to drain. Don't ask how I know this it was by accident when cleaning my tank.

Omit the soap and see which vent the water comes out of first.
Just be sure the toilet flap is closed. Don't ask!!!
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #5
Head Rambler

Or you could reverse a shop vac to blow air, and blow it in the toilet and see which vent the air comes out.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rienzo View Post
... Any thoughts on these type of vents to help minimize odors?
Keep water in the P traps, empty the tanks and dump a little Pinesol in them and forget the cyclone vent caps.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #7

Have someone flush the toilet or run your black tank flush and listen at each roof vent. You'll hear which one is the black tank.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #8

Crappy Setup

Just reading elinds comment.
Brought back a memory of about 4 years ago in Florida. We were at a camping resort and watched a couple come in and setup after spending 4 days coming down from Canada dry camping at Walmarts on the way. They connected up, put the lawn chairs out, the false flowers, and welcome sign. Stopped over to introduce themselves and said they were heading to the store for beer and supplies and to stop over for a drink after. About 45 minutes later we noticed a brown stream of liquid running down the roof, off the awning onto the new carpet and one lawn chair. I went over to look and they had connected to the tank flush instead of the city water inlet. I turned off the water but the flow continued for a while down the roof onto the mat and onto the nice white patio area. By that time there were a collection of neighbors standing there observing. After making sure that they all knew it was not my unit and notifying the office, we waited for the owners to return who showed up about an hour later. There was still a small flow coming off the roof when they arrived. Apparently the tank was 3/4 full after four days of use of which I think 1/2 of that was now on the ground. Luckily none went inside or blew any out of the toilet seals. The campground had to bring in a cleanup company to cleanup the site and the trailer owners spent the first night in a motel while the cleanup took place and had to move sites. Not sure what the insurance bill was but it sure made for a setup moment and smelly area for a while.
2009 Cedar Creek 34RLSA
Retired but still working sometimes to pay for toys
jdp105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #9

I have 4 vents on my Wildcat Maxx 313RE and just replaced 3 of them with the siphon 360 vents. The one I didn't change had nothing under it! Anyway, a little sniff test from the pipe will tell you which one is the black tank!
Old 05-29-2016, 05:06 PM   #10

Great story, I love it. unfortunately I have heard of that happening quite often when people run the santi flush and walk away and forget about it..

Tags
black, black tank, tank, vent