Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #21

Just a bad idea to inter connect"fresh water" system with sewer system, you know the stuff coming out of you and yours mixing, even by the slimmest of possibilities, is just not smart.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by realebill View Post
Mojojojo..I have had my flush hooked up like that for a few years now.never had any problems.brass "Y" with shutoffs at the fw inlet .short hose to the bt flush.
Thanks this is the first one we have had that didn't require us to drag the garden hose in for the flush, TLW loves it she don't have to help
Old 02-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #23

I guess I just don't understand how anything is being contaminated just because you use the black tank flush with the outside shower line. I'm just flushing the tank out not filling it up so anything would come back. Goes in the flusher and out the drain.
Bob
Old 02-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #24
Lon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooiebob View Post
I guess I just don't understand how anything is being contaminated just because you use the black tank flush with the outside shower line. I'm just flushing the tank out not filling it up so anything would come back. Goes in the flusher and out the drain.
Bob
Well Gooie all you have to do is touch that little white hose to your black tank flush line and there is the chance for contamination. It's amazing those little guys are superhuman. They can move against the flow right out of your flush line up the white shower line into your fresh water tank and set up shop. It won't happen right away and it may not happen on your first flush....It might be the fourth or the tenth time you do it. In fact if you just touch with your hand the black tank and then touch the hose from your shower that communicates with your fresh water source there is a chance the next time you take a drink it may be more than water you are putting into your aliminetary canal. Granted the immune system does a pretty good job. I mean everyone's eaten at Taco Bell and most have survived. But even in the hospital where everything's sterilized, everybody's washing their hands with antiseptic soap, antibiotics are everywhere, and no one in their right mind would touch a bed pan to their dinner plate, people still get sick. .. Heart valves get infected, surgical wounds become purulent, your artificial hip has made friends with staph aureus ect. The bottom line is just because the water is flowing South those little guys can still be going North against the flow and they won't leave a calling card until they hit your stomach and set up shop. And you'll think you have celiac disease and go on a gluten free diet or that you are allergic to red dye number 6 or that monosodium glutamate has poisoned your system and only buy food at the natural food store or even worse.........you ingested some black mold. But in reality two years ago you accidentally touched your shower hose to your black tank flush line and have invited clostridium deficile into your world and the mother load is in the line hidden in the wall of your camper like a gooieblob, Gooiebob....so unless you plan to flush your drinking water plumbing with chlorox after you flush your black tank with your shower hose I just wouldn't do it.
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon View Post
Well Gooie all you have to do is touch that little white hose to your black tank flush line and there is the chance for contamination. It's amazing those little guys are superhuman. They can move against the flow right out of your flush line up the white shower line into your fresh water tank and set up shop. It won't happen right away and it may not happen on your first flush....It might be the fourth or the tenth time you do it. In fact if you just touch with your hand the black tank and then touch the hose from your shower that communicates with your fresh water source there is a chance the next time you take a drink it may be more than water you are putting into your aliminetary canal. Granted the immune system does a pretty good job. I mean everyone's eaten at Taco Bell and most have survived. But even in the hospital where everything's sterilized, everybody's washing their hands with antiseptic soap, antibiotics are everywhere, and no one in their right mind would touch a bed pan to their dinner plate, people still get sick. .. Heart valves get infected, surgical wounds become purulent, your artificial hip has made friends with staph aureus ect. The bottom line is just because the water is flowing South those little guys can still be going North against the flow and they won't leave a calling card until they hit your stomach and set up shop. And you'll think you have celiac disease and go on a gluten free diet or that you are allergic to red dye number 6 or that monosodium glutamate has poisoned your system and only buy food at the natural food store or even worse.........you ingested some black mold. But in reality two years ago you accidentally touched your shower hose to your black tank flush line and have invited clostridium deficile into your world and the mother load is in the line hidden in the wall of your camper like a gooieblob, Gooiebob....so unless you plan to flush your drinking water plumbing with chlorox after you flush your black tank with your shower hose I just wouldn't do it.
Thanks for the insight, but as a full timer I sanitize and flush my rigs water system twice a year and hope people storing them for any length of time would do the same. Or at least before they use it.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:03 PM   #26

So I can see some potential downside to this as a minimal chance of cross contamination. But how is this any different than anyone using a black tank flush. If these superhuman germs can swim up stream then every campground water spigot is a potential time bomb of destruction. I have seen MANY people using black tank flushes and by this logic, they are contaminating the entire water system.
While we are talking about this, how many times have you seen someone at the campground take their stinky slinky and rinse it out at the spigot? Will make you think twice about hooking up your water line the next time. (I wipe those spigot down with a clorox wipe). Reality is that this is a superficial gesture that allows minimal contact of clorox material to the germs and probably accomplishes nothing.
I'm still considering this option but I'm also not gonna run around paranoid about every possible germ.

I ate lots of dirt as a kid, rode my bike without a helmet, didn't know what a seat belt was until after I started driving (not things I am advocating, we learn) but I did survive.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #27

Can someone fix the blank tank typo, not a grammar or spelling teacher but it's been up there a while.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojojojo View Post
Can someone fix the blank tank typo, not a grammar or spelling teacher but it's been up there a while.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:42 PM   #29

Cool

Geez, sorry. Now I understand. I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this. Feel like I just got taken to the woodshed.
Bob
Old 02-18-2015, 10:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Thanks Platokidd , I will sleep easier tonight.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #31
Lon

I agree with you Indymule. I don't know how people have survived without all the laws rules and regulations that those in power have foisted upon the unknowing public. The Mayor of New York even wants to regulate how much soft drink we can consume. There seems to be danger every where. But when we stopped contaminating our drinking water with sewage the rate of cholera did go down. And there is something special about completing the cycle of self contamination. Many farmers in Mexico fertilize their own vegetables with the readily availble human fertilizer and develope a disease in the brain called cystercercosis which is the number one cause of epilepsy in Mexico. Sometimes we become an intermediate culture medium for a protazoa like E. Histolytica and everybody's heard of the good old amoebic dysyntery. Supposedly 1/5th of the worlds population has been infected with amoebic dysentry. A great way to lose weight but it tends to ruin your trip to Disney Land. Toxoplasmosis is frequently seen by your eye doctor but started in your drinking water and never causes a problem unless you happen to be pregnant. We live with these guys all the time and they can be a nuisance but unless you have to undergo Chemo or have some immune suppressing disease like Lupus they are not likely cause any immediate concern. Don't get your stomach stapled though because that increases the risk. But I agree with you. These critters won't be the focal point of my life and won't stand in the way me of having fun but to me flushing my black water tank is not that much fun. I guess it's kind of a personal thing. I want to get out there and eat some dirt too. :-) But I'm a newby and just wanted to ask, "Is there a reason people use those white hoses to fill their drinking water tanks and the old walmart specials to flush their black water tanks?"
Old 02-19-2015, 07:49 AM   #32
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon View Post
But I'm a newby and just wanted to ask, "Is there a reason people use those white hoses to fill their drinking water tanks and the old walmart specials to flush their black water tanks?"
The story line is -
Regular garden hoses are not designed for use with potable water, and they often contribute an unpleasant odor and taste to your water. They may also leach chemicals into your water that could affect your health.

In other words if you drink from a common water hose you will die a horrible painful death

Disclaimer - I do use a blue drinking hose, I wanted to buy a new hose with the camper and well why not play along!

But back to the discussion ( I don't want to hijack)...the "shower/black tank flush" concept seems interesting

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #33

As to the black tank flush, I have never seen it but have always assumed that these systems on the campers are equipped with a backflow valve. Just to be safe, though, I always use a brass backflow valve on the campground faucet when I'm flushing with my dedicated black hose.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojojojo View Post
Stink tank ,think tank here. I was planning on putting a brass Y valve with two separate shut offs on the inbound line with a quick connect to the supply hose and just leave the other two hooked together ,so I can turn off the trailer fresh side and open the flush side when needed. Anyone do that yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by realebill View Post
Mojojojo..I have had my flush hooked up like that for a few years now.never had any problems.brass "Y" with shutoffs at the fw inlet .short hose to the bt flush.
You need to take care when leaving your black tank flush hooked up. Here's my story from last August about that:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ush-67565.html
Old 02-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #35

I think one needs to be very careful when connecting grey and black systems together. Sure it will work out most of the time, but all it takes is just one slip up for a family member to get very sick.

Best to keep them separated.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
As to the black tank flush, I have never seen it but have always assumed that these systems on the campers are equipped with a backflow valve. Just to be safe, though, I always use a brass backflow valve on the campground faucet when I'm flushing with my dedicated black hose.
They all have a black flow preventer on the line. Can it fail yes !! but you are always causing pressure using it. It's not going contaminate anything this just all Chicken Little Junk. Nothing going to happen just flush your hose before you put it away. I feel safer for any thing that can happen then using a shower or bathroom at any CG.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:59 PM   #37
Lon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
You need to take care when leaving your black tank flush hooked up. Here's my story from last August about that:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ush-67565.html

Great story. Sounds like a good way to convert your toilet into a bidet.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #38
Lon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I think one needs to be very careful when connecting grey and black systems together. Sure it will work out most of the time, but all it takes is just one slip up for a family member to get very sick.

Best to keep them separated.
I think you are right Vin. Of course I had a man tell me the other day that he had smoked 3 packs a day for 40 years and never got cancer so it's impossible that smoking causes cancer. Sounds logical to me

On a related subject did you know that diarhea is genetic? Yeah, it runs in the jeans (woody harrelson, a prairee home companion)
Old 02-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #39
Lon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
The story line is -
Regular garden hoses are not designed for use with potable water, and they often contribute an unpleasant odor and taste to your water. They may also leach chemicals into your water that could affect your health.

In other words if you drink from a common water hose you will die a horrible painful death

Disclaimer - I do use a blue drinking hose, I wanted to buy a new hose with the camper and well why not play along!

But back to the discussion ( I don't want to hijack)...the "shower/black tank flush" concept seems interesting

Dankeshein Drei Hundei und guten abend!

Tags
black tank, tank, black tank flush, black