Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #1

Black Tank Flush

So on my new trailer, the outdoor shower is located right next to the black tank flush. We never use the outdoor shower. Would it work to take the shower head off and put a 1/2" NPT to garden hose connector on the hose then using a backflow preventer, use the outside shower to flush supply the water for the flush?

My thoughts are that even if camping without water, we could use whats left in the fresh water tank to flush the black tank. I know the pressure would be less but better than nothing.

Also, would there be any problem or advantage/disadvantage to using hot water for this flush? Again if we are leaving, we could use the already hot water to flush out the black tank.

So let's hear the thoughts on this.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Interesting concept!
I don't know why it wouldn't work jay.
Hot water may be a plus!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

Know guys that have their outside shower and do the hot water. We always stay where full hook ups as we work when in the camper. We open the FW and let it drain but good point on your topic.

I haven't cause I use mine a lot to rinse off the work boots before putting on the boot dryer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #4

Indymule,we use our (OSS) to supply (Pink Stuff) to the black tank flush for winter,so we are already plumbed for (Garden Hose). Just Mix the (H & C) before you supply to the BTR. Camp On!! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #5

I removed the shower head and changed it over to use on the black tank flush when we got ours new. I also disconnected the hot water line and capped it under the cabinet. Never used it as its on the neighbors side anyway.
Bob
Old 02-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #6

You could do it. I asked my dealer last year and they said that by law they could not connect fresh water to any kind of black water. If your back flow valve failed it might get ugly.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooiebob View Post
I removed the shower head and changed it over to use on the black tank flush when we got ours new. I also disconnected the hot water line and capped it under the cabinet. Never used it as its on the neighbors side anyway.
Bob
That's interesting. I am curious why you capped off the hot water line? and since it is capped off, will the water drain out of that line or will it create a vacuum and hold water creating a problem with winterizing.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:50 PM   #8
Lon

I don't know why they don't connect a one way valve drain from the grey tank into the black water tank. Then ud have soapy water flushing ur black tank and on pulling up stakes u could turn the shower on to drain what's left thru both tanks. But good thought TANKS a lot!
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:03 AM   #9

Stink tank ,think tank here. I was planning on putting a brass Y valve with two separate shut offs on the inbound line with a quick connect to the supply hose and just leave the other two hooked together ,so I can turn off the trailer fresh side and open the flush side when needed. Anyone do that yet?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:35 AM   #10

Mojojojo..I have had my flush hooked up like that for a few years now.never had any problems.brass "Y" with shutoffs at the fw inlet .short hose to the bt flush.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
So on my new trailer, the outdoor shower is located right next to the black tank flush. We never use the outdoor shower. Would it work to take the shower head off and put a 1/2" NPT to garden hose connector on the hose then using a backflow preventer, use the outside shower to flush supply the water for the flush?

My thoughts are that even if camping without water, we could use whats left in the fresh water tank to flush the black tank. I know the pressure would be less but better than nothing.

Also, would there be any problem or advantage/disadvantage to using hot water for this flush? Again if we are leaving, we could use the already hot water to flush out the black tank.

So let's hear the thoughts on this.
I think you would need to increase the size of the water pump to more gpm, or it wouldn't clean the tank.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #12

We did this and flush with hot water
Copain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #13

Great subject.
I like the idea of utilizing the hot water for the BTF. I usually just dump the HWH when breaking camp.
Adding a way to also inject some kind of liquid soap (automatic dish washing?) would be a plus IMO. Something in line.
hmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:34 PM   #14
Lon

I wouldn't do it

The more I think about it the less I would be inclined to flush the black water tank with the drinking water plumbing. The back flow preventer will not necessarily prevent contamination with organisms like e coli, strep feacalis, staph aureus, Samonella, vibrio cholerae, ect. These are sneaky little guys and if your timing is not perfect with the valves over time you could colonize your clean plumbing. You might get away with chloroxing your clear water plumbing periodically but why take a chance. For my money I'd try to keep your drinking water plumbing as isolated from your sewage plumbing as much as humanly possible. The Great Wall of China comes to mind. Sorry about all the spelling errors. But as my mother used to always tell us brothers when we were young, "keep it clean guys."
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #15

I never thought about that.........what a great idea! Now I have something else to modify/change before we can use this thing!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #16

I did this on my last 5r and plan on doing it to my new one too. I just made up a little 2 foot hose with a quick connect on one end and an in line back flow valve where it connects to the black tank flush. I pumped out, closed the drain valve and then ran this for about 5 minutes and pumped out again. There is no way to know how much it actually cleaned but I can tell you, the second pump out was pretty dirty too. P.s. Your black tank flush should already have a one way valve in place to keep black water from backing up in your hose but added a 2nd one just to be safe. I do a lot of boon-docking and get pumped out by a truck and the truck stop I use on the way home has free pump out but no running water so I used this a lot. Instead of just draining the fresh tank, might was well put the water to use.
Maxhise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
That's interesting. I am curious why you capped off the hot water line? and since it is capped off, will the water drain out of that line or will it create a vacuum and hold water creating a problem with winterizing.
The water lines are at a tee where I could just put a cap on it. The lines up to the shower faucet were just like faucet hoses. No problem with winterizing. Just have cold water at the outside shower we don't use anyway.
Bob
Old 02-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #18

Go for it. I used mine on our last camper. Definitely slower. But will work.

Tim
Vengeance touring edition 39R12
2012 Ram 3500 DRW
riznfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #19

I think using the shower, especially the hot water to flush is a great ideal. I have a extra shower hose that will reach the black water flush. I do have a question, my black water flush says to always flush with drain open. Is this really necessary or is it just to a caution not to overfill? Tanks are vented so pressure shouldn't be a issue. Seem like it would be a fast way to add a little water to black tank.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #20

I always close mine to let the water buildup to flush better. Just don't walk away to do something else and think you'll remember to go back and open it. That could more mess then you want. Close it, let it run, open it, and repeat as necessary. Sounds like a medication procedure.
Bob

Tags
black tank, tank, black tank flush, black