Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #21

I learn so much on this site - even things I did not know I needed to learn. Never thought about air compression when using the tank flush. Did think about overflow. I usually fill up for about 2 min then dump waiting for the water to look clear. I always leave water in the tank and then add some water softener and chemicals. Keeps odors down and sensors clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I can use my black tank flusher at the dump station now. I find 30 seconds to 1 minute at the most keeps it clean as a Kitchen!! No need to waste so much water, filling a tank 3 times is enough water for 200 plus people to DRINK and prepare food in a day!
Hey B&B I ain't eating out of your Kitchen! Youroo!!
Old 06-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #23
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryliving View Post
I remember reading somewhere on the forum about a mixture to clean your tank when you are home. Does anyone have that?
I use the Geo Method every tank, no chemicals other than basic laundry stuff.
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Once a year I'll use RV Digest-It to do a treatment.
Unique Natural Products | RV Digest-It Holding Tank Treatment | Safe Products That Work

Credit to Herk7769 for the tip about RV Digest-It.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #24

The worst thing about black tank flush horror stories is that, as a rule, the black tank flush is a feel good concept that doesn't really work.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I can use my black tank flusher at the dump station now. I find 30 seconds to 1 minute at the most keeps it clean as a Kitchen!! No need to waste so much water, filling a tank 3 times is enough water for 200 plus people to DRINK and prepare food in a day!

If I thought like that I wouldn't ever hook my camper up again, I would just tent out or walk, that way I wouldn't waste anything

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #26
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
The worst thing about black tank flush horror stories is that, as a rule, the black tank flush is a feel good concept that doesn't really work.
Here's a good video demonstrating the effectiveness of some of the products on the market. Some work, some don't.

https://youtu.be/dfTd0Slt_cU
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Back to the OP's question, I'd recommend getting it checked out. When it happened to me, I ended up with a crack in the tank.

You can read my story in this thread if you want:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ush-67565.html

Based on the number of responses in this thread, it sounds like I should get around to actually prototyping the solution I was designing for this situation. Wouldn't take much, just a few extra tank probes, a 12v water valve and a maybe a relay or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfort View Post
Aren't you supposed to open the dump valve to prevent this or am I doing it wrong?

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort- You are 100% correct. The valve is to Remain Open when using the "black flush". Let the water flow into and out of the tank for 5 mins or more if possible.
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #29
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Hey B&B I ain't eating out of your Kitchen! Youroo!!
That was my first thought as I read it to.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppkemper View Post
After negligently leaving the black tank flush water hose on and forgetting about it, I heard a HUGE loud structural steel-frame crash while I was inside located in the general area of the black tank. It sounded just like the expanded black water tank popped/busted a retainer strap which banged against the steel framework of the 2015 Surveyor Cadet 30 feet trailer.
No water sprayed anywhere, but the black water tank valve was under a lot of pressure when I opened it.
Everythings seems normal now.

Can anyone help me figure out what may have happened to the steel framework of the trailer, and what risks I may have just continuing to use the trailer normally?

Thanks.
Oh lord can't read any farther, seen movie RV. Lol
What are you doing flushing black tank with valve closed. Shame on you. Lol
Your lucky. it didn't blow out roof breather
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #31

Flushing tank

When the flushing the black tank using the hose connection, and a closed drain valve, the tank will fill to capacity, then start pressurizing the tank, while trying to force water out of the vent tube. Essentially you are pushing against 35-45 gallons of black water and forcing it up a vertical tube about 2 inches in diameter.
The tank bulges, and may pop a band or one of the bolts holding the bands. If you opened the toilet valve, it would surge that way. Larger hole, and lower than the opening of the vent tube.
When you open the black drain valve, all that pressure relieves, and jets out of the valve.
When flushing, I NEVER walk away from the project. Stay right there, and work the valve or count to 100, but don't walk away to do anything else.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:19 AM   #32

What ever you do,,,
Please don't take a chance of dropping your black tank on the Interstate !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:27 AM   #33
Insert witty title here

A friend of mine told me a story about her driving down the road in an old class c when she hit a piece of rubber from a semi truck tire. She said the rubber sliced open her black tank showering the road and the cars behind her.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
A friend of mine told me a story about her driving down the road in an old class c when she hit a piece of rubber from a semi truck tire. She said the rubber sliced open her black tank showering the road and the cars behind her.
Aren't we glad we were not behind her on Motorcycles !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:35 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post
X2

Better to find out when now then then when the tank is full and about to fallout.

I have no doubt the pressure builds up. I found out first hand. Fortunately, it was me that opened the toilet to check the water level and not DW. Why does this happen? I would think the pressure would go out the vent pipe.

I like the timer suggestion and will try it myself. I am concerned 8 minutes could be too long. I guess I will and see what happens. What's the worst that can happen? LMAO.
I agree that 8 minutes could be too much. Depends on tank size and water pressure. From my past, working for a water utility, I learned that an outdoor hose left running, full blast can easily dispense 10 gallons per minute so with our old 30 BW I kept the flow rate moderate and NEVER ran flush water more than three minutes. Kept my wrist watch in my face practically counting the seconds and watching it, because God knows, I am way too easily distracted to risk turning away for that "minute" that becomes 15 too easily. Must be poopophobic.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, black, black tank, black tank flush, tank