Old 05-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #1

Black tank question

I cannot dump my tanks at home.

Wife and I will be boondocking for 4-5 days in late September. We plan another camping trip sometime in October to a campground with full hookups.

Since I can't dump at home, is it OK to let the black and gray tanks 'marinate' for 3 weeks or so until we get to the campground with dump station/hookups?

My other options are to pay a honey wagon to come to my house to pump it or pay local campground to let me pull in and dump there, both options I have used in the past, but expenses I would like to avoid if possible.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #2

If you use the various tank treatments you should not have a problem waiting. Just a couple of things I do after boondocking. If the place were I am camping does not have a dump station I look for a RV friendly Pilot truck stop that has dumping options, some rest areas have them, if all else fails I use a portable waste container and just empty the tanks a little at a time.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
... if all else fails I use a portable waste container and just empty the tanks a little at a time.
Empty them where?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Empty them where?
In my home sewer.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh326 View Post

Wife and I will be boondocking for 4-5 days in late September. We plan another camping trip sometime in October to a campground with full hookups.

Since I can't dump at home, is it OK to let the black and gray tanks 'marinate' for 3 weeks or so until we get to the campground with dump station/hookups?

My other options are to pay a honey wagon to come to my house to pump it or pay local campground to let me pull in and dump there, both options I have used in the past, but expenses I would like to avoid if possible.
Take it to a cg and dump them. Regardless of treatment, the solids will settle out in 3 weeks and you will probably have problems you don't want.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #6

My owners manual says not to dump the black tank till its 3/4 full. This way the solids break down, otherwise they can be left behind and only liquids will be drained. I don't know by firsthand expirience, bought my 2015 295 bhss in august last year, and logged only 4 trips so far. Love camping, mini vacations.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh326 View Post

See Pic. if you had one of these and a 5/8 garden hose you could run it to a sewer cleanout at home! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4163.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	78002  
Old 05-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #8

This is what I use along with a 5/8 heavy water hose. It can pump uphill and I pump into a toilet at home. Not a pleasant smell but my wife is the one holding the hose in the toilet. I also pump into a 35 gallon tote when dry camping. The tote is in the back of the TV. If you don't want one then I would suggest getting RV Digest-it. Put in the recommended amt. and solids will turn into liquid and you won't have to dump until you get to a hookup campground.
FloJet RV Camper Motorhome Portable Macerator Waste Water Pump Kit
Old 05-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
This is what I use along with a 5/8 heavy water hose. It can pump uphill and I pump into a toilet at home. Not a pleasant smell but my wife is the one holding the hose in the toilet. I also pump into a 35 gallon tote when dry camping. The tote is in the back of the TV. If you don't want one then I would suggest getting RV Digest-it. Put in the recommended amt. and solids will turn into liquid and you won't have to dump until you get to a hookup campground.
FloJet RV Camper Motorhome Portable Macerator Waste Water Pump Kit
X2. We call it the poop cannon. I just open the clean out behind the house and pump it in there. A bit pricey but it was worth it to us.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #10

Wish I had a clean out. It would make things a lot easier but we do what we gotta do. The hose is just long enough to get it where we need it. My wife gets the sh*tty end of the hose. I don't ramp up the pump to overtake the friction loss, so she can handle the nozzle pressure just fine....

Tags
black, black tank, tank