Old 04-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #51
Oh we all have serious methane moments boys. Just ask our wives. As far as sanitizing the system every time, what ever doesn't kill you will make you stronger. We use bottled water to drink even at home. Remember when you were much younger we drank water straight out of the hose We are still here. As for drinking the water in Mexico...that applies to everywhere we go. Each state or city in the USA and Canada have different water than we are used to at home. Granted a good flush of the system when the camper sits unused for a week or a month can build up some nasty little buggers than need to be flushed. So the 5% rinse is good idea every time you open up the camper. Not sure about the black water tank though. New deposits in there will get rid of any micro nastys there. I would say add some bleach to your water filter (filter removed) and run it through the system with all faucets open until it's clear should do the job. That would end up in you holding tanks to fix them. A rinse of your fresh water holding tank as well. No more beans, chilly or beer will help the methane issue too but that's not going to happen either.

Chuck and Joanne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite Classic 27RLWS Emerald
2013 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie Crew
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #52
Stranger things have happened. Back in the 70ís when I was a project manager for a developer who was building tracts, our lender went bankrupt. We had a tract that was 95% complete, but all construction was stopped due to lack of funding. The project set for a year while the lender went through bankruptcy. A new lender came on board and the project was restarted and completed for sale.

One of the first units we sold, the new buyer was trying all the appliances at the final walk thru. A couple of minutes after turning on the dishwasher, it exploded! It blew the door completely off and expanded the tub to where it was almost impossible to remove it.

At first we thought that somehow it got connected to a gas line, not the water line. Final analysis revealed that the water heater was only partially filled with water for the vacant year. Algae formed and then turned to methane gas.

Turning on the DW pushed the gas into the tub and a spark from the motor set it off.

Never say never!

joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #53
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
Did they mix two or more cleaning chemicals that they weren't supposed to? Wow... not a pretty pic.
I think that this could be it more then anything. People like to mix up there own cleaner and deodorizer. People on this forum use anything from pine soil to different mixtures. If you mix the wrong stuff it could have an chemical reaction.
It wouldn't make any difference if the vent was plugged or not at that point. I guess turbs might be right just don't use it. I always wonder why he came by to see me he always asked to use my head. I said to my wife god he go's to the bathroom alot.....

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

black, black water, tank, water