Old 09-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
Blackwater Tote Question

Ok, this might sound like a stupid question but we are new to owning a TT and there are still a few things we don't know. We have taken the camper out a few times since we purchased it but only for 2-3 days at a time and locally. The end of the month, we will be going on a longer trip of about 5 days. We would like to use the shower and toilet in the camper all the time instead of using the campground facilities. That's probably the biggest reason we replaced our pop-up so we could have a regular bathroom and we would like to be able to use it. The campground has no water or sewer hookups. We are thinking about getting a tote for the blackwater but we are not sure if we need a separate tote for the greywater. Do we need 2 different totes? We had a cassette toilet in our pop-up so it was no problems emptying it during a camping trip and we used a 10 gallon blue tote for our greywater. What kind of totes do we need and are they fairly easy to use and empty?

2011 MicroLite 23LB
2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
zinger60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
I'd only own one tote. Do black first and then do gray to "clean" the tote.

Barker seems to be the brand to buy.

Keep in mind, the bastard will be bloody heavy when full.

ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Any suggestions on what size would be best? I think our tanks hold around 36 gallons
2011 MicroLite 23LB
2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Old 09-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant
you shouldn't need a tote tank for black water, unless you're in one place for weeks, with a 35 gallon black tank.

we dry camp all the time and our black tank only holds 25 gallons. we've NEVER needed to dump black water in our tote, only gray water.
and that's staying at a campsite for two weeks.

your bigger issues will be fresh water and gray water.

many newbies worry more about the black tank, when the FW and gray water are more important.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
If the campground has no water then you will not over fill either tank !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
^^^ x2

With my DW and myself, I have to empty the grey tank every 2 or 3 days but I've never had to empty the black tank. It fills much more slowly because the only thing that empties into it is the toilet.

I have a 40-gallon towable but I never tow it (I had a smaller towable once but even at idle speed, the rough road caused the wheels to fall off and the tank to grind through - what a mess). If the dump station is close and slightly downhill I will dump using a short slinky and pull by hand. Otherwise, I put it in the bed of the truck and use my Flo-jet pump to pump up into it and drive it to the dump station.
2015 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8282WS Platinum, GY Marathon LRD, TST 507RV TPMS
2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB D/A, Curt E16, Prodigy P2, Garmin RV760LMT w/BC-20 b/u cam

DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
I'm likely going to catch a lot of flack over this, but get one of these and an old garden hose:
Camco RV Sewer Cap with Hose Connection -

Use it to slowly bleed off some your grey water tank as needed into the woods or grass. Depend on where you're camping you might want to do this under the moonlight...

Your likely not going to fill the blank tank in 5 days.
2015 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond Package

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:35 PM   #8
I have a 12 g tote; wish it was 20 g. With size, you have to think where you will store it. When its full, I pull it to the dump station behind my truck, hooked to the hitch. Never had a problem - I only go 5 mph, been using the same Thetford tote since 2008. I went with the smaller tote solely due to economics - I got sticker shock over the price of these. I was on a site this summer for 2 weeks and we had company so for the first time I had to partially empty the black tank. I stopped the emptying with a couple of gallons to spare and let loose some gray water into the tote to clean the hose. I won't lie - it wasn't fun.
2015 Shamrock 231KSS, Oyster shell
2016 Chev Silverado LT Z71 Ext. Cab, 4x4, 5.3L V/8
Reese Straight Line WDH, 2000W Honda Gen.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #9
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
If the campground has no water then you will not over fill either tank !
They have water faucets around the campground to fill the freshwater. Our state park we normally go to has a filling station at the beginning of the campground which makes it so easy. I read reviews on the campground we are going to and besides us having to fill our freshwater tank 7 gallons at a time with our Aquatainer after we park, I heard the faucets are low to the ground and you have to hold in a button while filling up the container. Doesn't sound like much fun for my aching back.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #10
Canadian Member
I got this 32 gallon Barker with 4 pneumatic tires.

DW and I camp with at least 2 of our 3 DSs and we have to dump the grey tank at least every third day. I dump to the tote when the grey tank hits around 2/3 full to make sure it doesn't overfill the tote. I towed this one about a half mile to the dump station without a problem but I drove slowly and the roads were fairly smooth. I would like to come up with something to positively secure the arm to the hitch ball because it makes me a bit nervous going downhill.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

black, water