Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
A TPMS is piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
X2
I watch my TST507 monitor more often than my speedometer since I'm generally on cruise control. I can't imagine doing without it. Why someone would go without a TPMS is beyond me. My insurance provider asked me if I had a system before he quoted me a premium on my coverage. Don't know if I saved any money, but it showed him I was a concerned owner. I'm sure that a lot of claims are due to "tire failure" damage.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo57 View Post
We had a blowout on Monday (4th of July). Tire pressure was checked before we left, tires have less than 5000 miles on them, it was hot out, 97 degrees.

Are those Tredit T03 rims? If so look them over carefully for micro cracks. I have seen about 6 or 7 of these that have had them and are early signs of rim failure.

2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #43
Mod free 5er

I run within 1 or 2 degrees of max sidewall pressure every morning regardless of the ambient temperature whether it is 25 degrees in the am or 90 degrees or anywhere in between.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #44

My G614 I start them out at 105 and the truck tires I start the out at 4 pounds under that I have them set at. Front truck tires 57, back truck tires 76. Watching my TST 507 it doesn't take but a few minutes to get them up where they are supposed to be. Front tires 60 rear tires 80, trailer tires 110. I look at my 507 more than DW, just don't tell her.

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #45
Commercial Member

Quote:
My G614 I start them out at 105 and the truck tires I start the out at 4 pounds under that I have them set at. Front truck tires 57, back truck tires 76. Watching my TST 507 it doesn't take but a few minutes to get them up where they are supposed to be. Front tires 60 rear tires 80, trailer tires 110. I look at my 507 more than DW, just don't tell her.

Your Cold inflation pressure (60 / 80 ) is what you set the pressure to before any movement or exposure to the sun.

You should NOT be setting tires lower than what they are "supposed" to be.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Your Cold inflation pressure (60 / 80 ) is what you set the pressure to before any movement or exposure to the sun.

You should NOT be setting tires lower than what they are "supposed" to be.

It doesn't take but a few minutes to get them to what they are supposed to be and higher. I don't see the problem.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #47
Commercial Member

Quote:
It doesn't take but a few minutes to get them to what they are supposed to be and higher. I don't see the problem.

Tires are designed to support the load based on the cold inflation and at the higher inflation that occurs once the tire is running. While your pressure number may increase to the psi needed to support the static load you are actually under-inflated when running.
Now it is not likely that being 3 to 5 psi low, even when hot, is going to cause an immediate failure but there will still be more damage done to the tire structure in the long run. All damage to a tire structure is cumulative and non-reversible so you are pushing the limit as you approach end of life use.

You didn't say how long you normally run your tires but unless you change very early i.e. a couple of years, there is always the possibility that you may have a tire that fails just before your planned replacement date. At that point you would probably just claim the tire was defective and forget the fact that you chose to operate the tire in a constant low inflation level.

Just wanted you to be aware thet you are not following proper inflation guidelines. Your decision though. As long as you are willing to accept the consequences.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 07-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #48

I still can't see the problem, my front tires go to 66 lbs and the rear tires go to 86 lbs or more. The trailer tires go to 116 or more. Some people on here don't run the Goodyears G614 at 100 lbs. I don't think a tire knows when it's hot or cold air pressure

Old 07-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #49
Commercial Member

Quote:
I still can't see the problem, my front tires go to 66 lbs and the rear tires go to 86 lbs or more. The trailer tires go to 116 or more. Some people on here don't run the Goodyears G614 at 100 lbs. I don't think a tire knows when it's hot or cold air pressure

Well as long as you are comfortable with relying on your background of decades of tire design and testing I guess you can continue your practice.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Well as long as you are comfortable with relying on your background of decades of tire design and testing I guess you can continue your practice.

It just seems dumb to me, my tires get to the right lbs in less than five minutes. I'm sure that if you look on this site you would see where other people are running the same tires as mine at different lbs and having no problems.