Old 06-30-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
I Break Everything

Blowout Question

I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll start here.

If you've had a travel trailer or 5th wheel have you ever had a blowout. I don't mean a flat tire, a blowout?

What kind of damage did it do to your rig? We have a motorhome now, but for ten years before we had a travel trailer and a couple of 5th wheels. Our last 5th wheel had at least 4 blowouts over 8 years. The damage on two of them was pretty extensive. When I see a trailer being pulled now I glance at those little plastic fenders above the wheels. I've notice quite a few 5th wheels with damage. Just wondering how many of us out there and been through the blowout fun.

The one for us that was most damaging was in Mississippin on I-10 headed to Florida. It blew off part of the fender, damaged some of the siding and the real winner - blew off the black/grey water dump connection. Never under estimate what you can do with wire cutters and duct tape, and lots of Clorox wipes. Click image for larger version

Name:	sewer.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	112669

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS MH
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Yest having a "Run Low Flex Failure" like this

can do damage. The use of a TPMS can provide warning when a tires is loosing air due to cut, puncture or leaking valve. With the cost of a tire and damage exceeding $300 preventing a single Run Low Flex can mean the TPMS paid for itself.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #3

I think Tireman9 called it a tread separation.

Good news is the parts are less than my $500 deductible, Forest River is shipping them to me, and I'm capable of fixing it myself.
The bad news is it takes Forest River quite a long time to ship the parts. Maybe not too long, maybe I'm just anxious to get it fixed. I figure from what Ruby at forest river told me I'll get them somewhere from 3.5 weeks to a month from my order.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:05 AM   #4

Something else. What with semi tractors flying by within inches of me and everything else, when I did get the spare on I didn't check the air in it. I was pretty much at my wits end.

I got the rig home and checked all the tires again. Spare only had 35 pounds in it. I'm lucky I didn't have another massive failure on the 12 mile trip to my house with the spare on.

When I started the trip all my 4 trailer tires on the ground had the required 50 pounds in them, I just never thought to check the spare.

Lessons learned.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
Site Team

3 blowouts, loud and violent enough to feel. Tire shops all said tread separation. First was $3600 damage. Second was $700, Third was very minority. Also had 1 "flat" , all were on Trail Express tires that came on new fivers. 3 were load range E under 5000 miles, 1 was lr c under 5000 miles.
I've run Maxxis on another unit for 12000 miles with no blowout. Replaced current fiver tires with Gy marathons.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
3 blowouts, loud and violent enough to feel. Tire shops all said tread separation. First was $3600 damage. Second was $700, Third was very minority. Also had 1 "flat" , all were on Trail Express tires that came on new fivers. 3 were load range E under 5000 miles, 1 was lr c under 5000 miles.
I've run Maxxis on another unit for 12000 miles with no blowout. Replaced current fiver tires with Gy marathons.
I think Trail Express load range C is what blew out on mine, and I didn't hear a thing.
Of course I had the radio on and a big Labrador panting in my ear. My wife might have been jabbering also. Hard to keep up with everything.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #7
Commercial Member

"Blowout" is mis-used catch-all for any tire failure.

I covered tire failure in THIS post.
It is possible to avoid the damage most of the time with proper monitoring of inflation and recurring inspections for separations.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 06-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #8

Blowout right rear on our old fiver with Uniroyal, 245 70 R16 E. We heard the bang, I looked in the mirror and saw tire chunks spreading across the highway. It tore out the metal wheel well liner and scuffed the fender skirt. I went straight to the store and bought a new set of G rated LT Goodyears.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
Commercial Member

OK if tire dealer said "Tread Separation" what is he going to do about replacement and covering damage?
Be sure to let dealer know you are filing a complaint with NHTSA for each tire and suggest that you would like to post positive mention of his handling of tire failures.

Don't forget to post the DOT S/N here so we can ID the specific plant that made the tires.
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 06-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #10

I had one on the side of I95 in Georgia on our first ever RV trip. It was a bad time to learn that while I did have a spare tire, I had no jack or lug wrench.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote