Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #1

Blowout - Thank you Forest River!

I wanted to take a second and thank FR for NOT putting gas lines, water lines, and any other stuff in the wheel well where it would have been shredded last weekend during a blowout coming back from Galveston.

Although, there are a few inches of water line in the front of the well...were unharmed as far as i can tell.

Lol,,, or the gas lines were obliterated and nothing was left at all to see. There are no gas lines there right? (31 QBH - 2005)

I ordered the darco and will be fixing next Saturday. May leave off the fender skirt. This is bound to happen again?
jloucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #2

I had a blow out last year towing a 17' single axle camper at 65 MPH. Always use a
W/D anti sway hitch. Had absolutely no sway at all and got off highway with no problem. It was an older camper, and insurance ended up totaling it.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloucks View Post
... This is bound to happen again?
Chances are much less if you go to 4 new GY Marathon LR D or similar brand name and get a TMS TPST monitor system.

Been there, done that. As I've stated on another thread, I wouldn't pull a new trailer off the dealer's lot with the factory tires on it.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #4

Sounds like you didn't get hurt....pretty scary.
Scagsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #5

Gorilla Tape works good as a patch in an emergency in place of torn or missing Darco. Also, I would go ahead and order the new fender if for no other reason appearance purposes. New fenders should be under $100 delivered each.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #6

What year was that unit. How many miles did you have on them tires? also did you check the air pressure before taking off? Sorry to see all that damage but I have seen a lot worst, Just be glad you are okay. This is such a common problem, same as I had but not that much damage. I put the spear on and drove to the nearest tire place and had all 4 changed to GY Marathons D rated from C rated that was on them. Mine where Trail Express. I had about 6000 miles on mine when it happened. I would strip all that delco crap off and apply a sealer instead. Still do not know why PT puts that on. I see 2005 after the model is that the year of the trailer? I blew up the picture where those tires Carlisle tires I seen on the side wall.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
What year was that unit. How many miles did you have on them tires? also did you check the air pressure before taking off? Sorry to see all that damage but I have seen a lot worst, Just be glad you are okay. This is such a common problem, same as I had but not that much damage. I put the spear on and drove to the nearest tire place and had all 4 changed to GY Marathons D rated from C rated that was on them. Mine where Trail Express. I had about 6000 miles on mine when it happened. I would strip all that delco crap off and apply a sealer instead. Still do not know why PT puts that on. I see 2005 after the model is that the year of the trailer? I blew up the picture where those tires Carlisle tires I seen on the side wall.

Around 700ish miles on the tires. Yes, air pressure was fine prior to departure (even checked and topped off the spare, thank goodness) Yes, Carlisle. I'll look into some better tires too.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #8

I second the tire pressure monitoring system - it helps greatly in knowing immediately that there is a problem with a trailer tire rather than driving on a flat/blow out...

- Randy
Old 03-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #9
Site Team

Been there with trail express on I-30. $3500+ damage. Water lines, kitchen drain pipes and electrical shredded. I feel your pain. Trail express = "Trail "Explodes"

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloucks View Post
I wanted to take a second and thank FR for NOT putting gas lines, water lines, and any other stuff in the wheel well where it would have been shredded last weekend during a blowout coming back from Galveston.

Although, there are a few inches of water line in the front of the well...were unharmed as far as i can tell.

Lol,,, or the gas lines were obliterated and nothing was left at all to see. There are no gas lines there right? (31 QBH - 2005)

I ordered the darco and will be fixing next Saturday. May leave off the fender skirt. This is bound to happen again?
I had a blow out last summer looked about the same. Could not find exact fender skirt FR had changed design since 08, mine had a C on it for cardinal. Found a company on amazon that makes replacement skirts, thicker and fit great.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 03-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Whitlow View Post
I had a blow out last summer looked about the same. Could not find exact fender skirt FR had changed design since 08, mine had a C on it for cardinal. Found a company on amazon that makes replacement skirts, thicker and fit great.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app

I think I found the same company. Not sure I am going to replace the skirt yet.

...probably will.

I don't care if the skirts match, so that should make it easier.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #12

With trailer tires cant really go on miles on tire but how old they are. I just changed mine today with new D rated from C rated only a few bucks more. Tires started to show hair line cracks on sidewall by the brand name writing. Mine tires only 3 years old. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396034669.947725.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	48651
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river