Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #21
Junior Member
 
h4kintosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Coal Region
Posts: 21
I have had a ton of experience dealing with these tires made from China. I drive mobile/modular homes up the east coast with the lippert frames and so forth.....the key to not having so many flats is to lower your speed and check air pressure randomly when on your trip!!! The tires heat up and expand very quickly (specially in the summer) and can cause headaches.
__________________

__________________
h4kintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 561
I will be on my 6th season with my tires, they look great, always covered, always have the tire pressure checked etc etc. But with all the comments on this thread it has me wondering!! I was planning a trip to Edmonton this summer but it got cancelled so all are travelling will be within a couple of hours. If I was still going west I would probably change them but now the million dollar question is trying to ride another summer out of them and not be that guy stuck on the side of a highway.

Kevin
__________________

__________________
2009 F150 XLT crewcab 5.4L and 3.73
2010 Flagstaff 27 BHSS
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:54 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
dannyabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4kintosh View Post
I have had a ton of experience dealing with these tires made from China. I drive mobile/modular homes up the east coast with the lippert frames and so forth.....the key to not having so many flats is to lower your speed and check air pressure randomly when on your trip!!! The tires heat up and expand very quickly (specially in the summer) and can cause headaches.

Which is why the mfgs put Nitrogen in the 'borderline' weight tires.
__________________
Danny & Darlene
2002 Silverado 1500HD
2014 Rockwood 2703WS 'Emerald Pkg'
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #24
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
Which is why the mfgs put Nitrogen in the 'borderline' weight tires.
Don't really think that has anything to do with having or not having blowouts. It's just a propaganda selling point. Totally useless with air being 78% N.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
vinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenttotrailer View Post
I will be on my 6th season with my tires, they look great, always covered, always have the tire pressure checked etc etc. But with all the comments on this thread it has me wondering!! I was planning a trip to Edmonton this summer but it got cancelled so all are travelling will be within a couple of hours. If I was still going west I would probably change them but now the million dollar question is trying to ride another summer out of them and not be that guy stuck on the side of a highway.

Kevin
6 seasons is at the end of life. You would do well to think about replacing them soon.
__________________

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
X2 on getting rid of the China Bombs!


B&B and I both have gone to Goodyear Marathons and went up a load class to boot (C->D) a Bonus to upping the load class is you go from 6 to 8 ply


I believe that Goodyear Marathon's are manufactured at the Gadsden, AL Goodyear plant.


(Our 5er is at the dealer's ATM and I cannot go check the tires to see if this info is correct.)
That was the old plant, they are made in China now for the last 2 years. But it doesn't mean that they are bad. Also GY will stand behind them. I have the same tire and I'm happy with them. They are to GY specs. Not all are bad out of China or overseas. I just bought a new Chevy car. My wife wanted what is called the Trek or something. GM told me that the whole car is made in China. Now GM is sending the whole auto ind. for that car to China to be made. They also told me it takes 6mos to get one.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
vinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That was the old plant, they are made in China now for the last 2 years. But it doesn't mean that they are bad. Also GY will stand behind them. I have the same tire and I'm happy with them. They are to GY specs. Not all are bad out of China or overseas. I just bought a new Chevy car. My wife wanted what is called the Trek or something. GM told me that the whole car is made in China. Now GM is sending the whole auto ind. for that car to China to be made. They also told me it takes 6mos to get one.
Would that happen to be a Chevy Trax? Are the made in China?
__________________

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Pixelbum1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 196
Just talked to my Michelin rep and he claims that tho they are NOT all made in China that they are made "elsewhere" where ever that is. The Solera specialist is going to call me back within 48 hrs. and I will happily pass on any pertinent info to you all after I talk to him and press him with "those" questions. This guy did say that the tires are STILL made to the "strict" US standards and must pass inspection before being allowed to enter the US...you can take that anyway you wish, I guess? Will let you know what the MH guy sez. News at 11...PB

PS: If you do a Google search you will learn that some Mich tires are manu'd in
near New Glasgow, also Nova Scotia etc., if that makes anyone feel better?
Will try to learn how to tell this! :]
__________________
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
dannyabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't really think that has anything to do with having or not having blowouts. It's just a propaganda selling point. Totally useless with air being 78% N.
OC, nitrogen is science, not propaganda, N2 molecules are larger that just air so tires with N2 in them leak less. Mine leaked only about 1 # in a year, I figured that was from using the gauge.. Also N2 will cause a tire to last longer because there is no moisture in the tire.
But I really think the RV mfgs use N2 in some of there tirs is because they are run so close to their weight limit and the pressure remains constant as the tires heat up.
__________________
Danny & Darlene
2002 Silverado 1500HD
2014 Rockwood 2703WS 'Emerald Pkg'
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
Yep, the Marathon's I bought last Sept from DTD were made in China.
That said the LR D Marathons I installed were obviously made heavier than the LR C Trail Express tires I removed.
On that I agree X2! It was amazing to see the difference. Even if they are made in china, the quality difference between the GY & TE tires was evident.

Taking them out on the road for the first campout of the season this Friday. According to Brian I shouldn't be disappointed
__________________

__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.