Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #61

Maybe some of you folks who have had good service out of tires that are considered very poor products would report this, it may give the rest of us some peace about the tires that we run. If not, this thread will no doubt go on for ever.

P.S. I do tend to agree with Oaklevel, Old Coot & Hat6mike. We sure can become fanatical about things.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #62

We just had our second blow out on I95 coming south. Picked up my 2014 3008W Windjammer in July 2013, had our first blowout in June 2014 and now this one. Kept one of the original as a spare and changed the rest to Carlisle trailer 8 ply tires.

*We need to pass the word on do not accept a trailer with made in china tires.

Mike
meylersr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
Say Trbo..at least we KNOW the B29(yup...SuperFortress!) tires were NOT made in you-know-where, then? And...
I don't think they flew at their MAX service ceiling height of approx. 36,000 ft. unless they were in dire danger (Google this!), then all bets were off anyway! Normal bombing-run ceilings were a purported 29,000', more or less. So, I think Mike makes a point too? Interesting point you made... PB :}
What does flying at 36,000 ft' got to do with blowouts?
Really getting away from OP!
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:53 PM   #64

We just had our second tire to blow coming down I95 to Florida, no fun changing a tire on I-95. Lucky the tire blew when there was no vehicle along side. Parts of the tire and trailer blew out across the road. ---Picked my unit up new in 2013, I my first blow last summer. Have now changed my tires to Carlisle 8 ply trailer tires. --It is my opinion that the original tires where to light for a 3008W model. Never had a trailer tire to blow for me before and we have been road for many years. -Mike
Old 03-30-2015, 07:57 PM   #65
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Maybe some of you folks who have had good service out of tires that are considered very poor products would report this, it may give the rest of us some peace about the tires that we run. If not, this thread will no doubt go on for ever.

P.S. I do tend to agree with Oaklevel, Old Coot & Hat6mike. We sure can become fanatical about things.
I'm not fanatical about GY Marathons, I've been using them for over 25 yrs with no problems, so until I have a problem, I'll stick with them. I've run GY tires on all my vehicles since 1964 with the exception of TOWTA's old junker and put Michelins on it to get her mandatory white walls.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #66

I also reported this tire problem and will post Forest Rivers response when received. ---Mike
Old 03-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #67

I just got back for a trip to GA and back with the fiver. Round trip I saw 3 RVs on the side of the road with blow outs and one at the site when he came in with the reminance of the blowout and a missing fender....

Not us man. The LTs are solid as a rock.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:38 PM   #68

Going on year five for our tires and I have been pricing Maxxis ST8008. My tires (Karrier) still have plenty of tread, but I'm going to play it safe. I just returned from a trip to the Keys and did not see any DAV TTs, but did see both a Class A, and a FW stopped on the shoulder of the highway but could not see if it was tire related.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:50 PM   #69

There is the complete emails with Forest Rivers:

Mr. Eyler,

We are aware of what is being posted on the internet. We are and have been monitoring tires issues that are reported so that we can know what is going on and make corrections if necessary. I understand your concern and I appreciate you letting us know what you have experienced and your concerns. I will pass this information on to the proper channels for consideration and documentation.

Thank you.
Roger Beiler
Warranty Administrator
Rockwood & Flagstaff
Forest River Inc.
Phone: 574-642-8931
Fax: 574-970-6881

Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:37 AM
To: Roger Beiler
Subject: Re: RL1851660 RV Site - Windjammer - Contact Us: "Tire Blowouts"

Good morning Mr. Beiler,

I’m under the 1000 pound load weight and with no water I’m well under the max weight.

After reading the reports on the Forest River Forum I’m now aware that is not a new issue. For what we pay for these units good tires are a minor cost. We where very lucky that our blow out on interstate 95 did not cause an accident as parts of the trailer and tire where shot out over two lanes.

The number of blowouts being reported indicates a tire problem. Or see note.

Note: This unit was recalled because the tires rubbed/impacted the undercarriage when going over bumps. Since both tires where rear tires there could be a relationship to the blowouts.

PS The wife and I really enjoy the unit. We have replaced the tires with good Carlisle trailer 8 ply tires. And of course I will pass the tire problem on to my dealer and anyone who is thinking of buying a trailer with factory tires installed by Forest River.

Mike Eyler

I make From: Roger Beiler ver

Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:47 AM

To: m.eylersr1@verizon.net

Subject: RL1851660 RV Site - Windjammer - Contact Us: "Tire Blowouts"

Good morning Mr. Eyler,
I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with the trailer. Have you had the trailer weighed so that you know for sure how much it weighs when you are towing it to go use it? There are a lot of factors that can contribute to a tire blowout as you know.
I appreciate the feedback and letting us know about this concern. Please let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

Thank you.
Roger Beiler
Warranty Administrator
Rockwood & Flagstaff
Forest River Inc.
Phone: 574-642-8931
Fax: 574-970-6881

-----Original Message-----
From: Mailform@forestriverinc.com [mailto:Mailform@forestriverinc.com]
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 7:48 PM
To: Roger Beiler; Chris Hollowell; Fred Yoder; Mark A. Akins
Subject: RV Site - Windjammer - Contact Us: "Tire Blowouts"

Michael Eyler Sr [ m.eylersr1@verizon.net ] Michael Eyler Sr has sent the following message in regards to Windjammer:

" Purchased my trailer in July 2013. In the summer of 2014 on trip to Gettysburg, Pa. blew out the left rear tire. On my current trip to Florida, blew the right rear tire on I95. My travel speed is about 65 on interstates and I do not carry water. Maintain an air pressure of 50.

The first tire I replaced with a Carlisle 8 ply trailer tire and this time I replace the other three with same.

I think there may be a problems with the tires!!! "
Old 03-31-2015, 07:13 PM   #70

If the tire is rated for a higher speed you should not have a problem. Most tires are currently rated for 65, give or take 5 - I would stay 65 would be my max. The problem is units are coming with cheap tires, tires with brand names that no local tire dealer is selling. --Mike
Old 03-31-2015, 08:57 PM   #71

Another case of manufacturer blowing dust up the consumers butt?
All about cheaping out, no regard for safety!!!!!!!!!
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
If this is true,what did they do with B 29 tires in WW2? Never heard of them blowing up and those tires cant have been built as well as tires are today.
Maybe they just didn't put that much air in them....leaving room for expansion where as now with Nit, they can pump them up with full pressure at sea level. Air pressure in a tire at altitude expands the tire as the ambient air pressure decreases.
The same thing happens to your vehicle tires when you go from sea level to higher elevations. Fill a balloon to MAX and take it to altitude and it will pop sooner or later.
About 16,600 hours in the pilots seat since 1965.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:35 AM   #73

The other issue here is manufactures today leave less wiggle room in their engineering. The safety factors are less than the past.

Also in some cases one or all axles are overloaded.

I cringe when I here on the forum 65 MPH is not fast enough to get where I am going......Really???? that is insane, not a popular point here I am sure but anyone doing that is putting their families at risk....... ( I know many think that is not true but it is) Try to do a panic stop even at 65 with a 15,000 to 30,000 truck trailer combo. Even the professional truck drivers have trouble with that one. When I see a large fifth wheel whiz by me I just can not believe it. Very few of us here are professional drivers and it shows on the road. Not RV related but a guy locally last week did not take enough care at a RR crossing he lost a 3 year old daughter himself & two other children are in the hospital still a couple weeks later............ I am just saying take caution the world does not revolve around us and the danger can be greater than we can imagine. There is a very good reason School Buses & other Rigs Stop at all RR crossings............

As far as the past there was no social media, or internet, & tire blow outs, accidents were rarely reported....... We only had 3 channels on TV as well............. so who knows

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #74

My last two trips I took, while at the campground, I saw TVs coming in with damaged trailers from blow outs.... I learned early on that you can talk and evaluate all you want but just get rid of them. It isn't worth the time stuck on the side of the highway feet from danger or the money it costs to replace. Just do it.

My bombs were replaced in the first 30 days with commercial grade LT tires. I even sold the bombs to s local that just uses his trailer around town so he didn't care about the bombs.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #75

Just curious are the blows outs in a certain part of the country ? I have rarely seen anyone pulled over on the highway with a flat or damage to a trailer from a blow out. I drive 50-100K miles per year for pleasure & work. I am at our RV dealer all the time bothering the tech. Just haven't seen the damage very often from a blow out. Like one out of 100,000. The campground we stay at mostly has nearly 900 sites. .............. I am not saying it does not happen but I just have not seen it very often in our local states.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Just curious are the blows outs in a certain part of the country ? I have rarely seen anyone pulled over on the highway with a flat or damage to a trailer from a blow out. I drive 50-100K miles per year for pleasure & work. I am at our RV dealer all the time bothering the tech. Just haven't seen the damage very often from a blow out. Like one out of 100,000. The campground we stay at mostly has nearly 900 sites. .............. I am not saying it does not happen but I just have not seen it very often in our local states.

Honestly, just find where your closest RV/trailer/bus/big rig body shop is and they will all tell you they are regularly stacked up with blowout repairs! I've had interactions with these shops in California, Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida, and here in New Jersey, and all do more repairs due to blowout than collision damage to trailers. Heck, I was at RMS of Hanover last September and Cecil had three 5ers and two TTs parked in the lot waiting for parts for blowout repair; an HTT in the bay that had been in for 3 months because the blowout tore through the bathroom floor destroying shower, vanity and all plumbing, electric cabling and ducting in addition to exterior damage; and, another trailer just finishing fiberglass repairs from a delam blowout that took sidewall with it. He had only one trailer in with pure collision damage, and one with roof leak water damage.