Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #41
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Yea they just scare everyone into believing all tires made in China blow out............................. the truth is they don't ............ some do but so does every brand & I still am going to believe a lot are do to road hazards. Like a couple years ago a construction truck lost a case of nails.......30 flats later....

As far as the Nitrogen we had a car (2011 piece of junk) That had nitrofill in the tires We saw no benefit in the 120K miles before the car blew up. The tires wore out just the same as ones with regular air & the fuel mileage was the same (our pockets were just a little lighter paying for the nitrogen) never again. Th e DW & I each drive at least 100 miles a day to & from work.....

Agree 100%!!

Its time to go camping!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #42

2X of OC. N2 is used on aircraft tires as it does not expand near as much due to temp or altitude. If you pump up an aircraft tire to max with regular air, take it to 30,000-40,000 ft, you have a belly full of bombs as they would most likely explode from expansion passing 30,000 ft. Certainly, it would cause damage to the tires structure. This was one of the questions on the commercial pilots test I took in 1968.
As far as N2 in land tires, I can't see any advantage. The only time I add air is once a year with the ambient temp change and that is rarely more than 2-3 lbs.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Would that happen to be a Chevy Trax? Are the made in China?
Yep that is what I have been told by the GM at Moore Chevrolet. We bought a Buick instead. We bought a used 15000 miles Captivity yesterday and took it back today and drove off with a Regal Buick, had 72 hrs. or 150 miles to try it. He said 6mos before he would have a trek. My wife thought of it ( captivity as a rental car). It's a fleet car they don't even have brochures on it. The Regal is great fully loaded same warranty. Told him I do not want a chevy made in China

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #44

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4kintosh View Post
I have had a ton of experience dealing with these tires made from China. I drive mobile/modular homes up the east coast with the lippert frames and so forth.....the key to not having so many flats is to lower your speed and check air pressure randomly when on your trip!!! The tires heat up and expand very quickly (specially in the summer) and can cause headaches.
I fully agree with h4k esp. when pulling those huge loads over hill-and-dale.
Slow down and also check often. Get a tire whacker if need be and get used
to listening to the timber of the "thud" to quickly tell if any of your tires are
getting close to an explosion. Esp. on the front tires! Or, always keep an eye on your tpms and make sure they are accurate!! Digi gauges are usually fairly sensitive and accurate too and a good investment! In any case...do something all the time, esp when it's 85 degrees or warmer on that macadam.

Just got off a blog re my Michelin tires (which I used to run at 120 mph when I was young and very foolish back in the day...stationed in Germany in the early 70's and just "had" to try out our BMW's on the Autobahn where it was
allowed. Anyway those tires were like glue and the only thing faster on those roads were the big, WHITE, Mercedes...but ALL WERE ON the French-made[pre-China] Mich's). At least Michelin has printed on the sidewall where they are made (57 different plants scattered around the world now, and climbing...and yes they just opened up a huge one in Sangyang(sp?). Anyway, after learning that I immediately trotted down to my garage to check my Sam's Club bought Michelin Primacy's which are on the Outback and started searching while holding my breath! MADE IN...ROMANIA...so I lucked out. Wait...WHAT!? Doesn't that country border Ukraine, Moldova, Budapest, Bulgaria, Serbia, etc? Oh well...guess that's much better than China! So,
at least if you are into Mich's for your MH you'll KNOW where they have been
made. If you are nervous re the China production Mich's...then refuse them!
Check that air pressure all the time and equalize those tires...makes sense.
If not, slow down a bit as most of you are not professional driver's and are not capable of reacting correctly in those lumbering beasts if you blow a front tire. Hey, while I'm at it...keep your darned distance too, LOL! Be safe, have fun, enjoy those grandkids and embrace the slow life...

PS: you all KNOW the cancer warnings on all Chinese-made items, of course, re the toxicity on anything made with their petroleum products.
The manu's always cover themselves in the instruction sheets, every other
page by literally begging you to wash your hands after touching their products(esp. power cords!) so what does that tell you about
what they make over there compared to the good ol' USofA? You could just imagine the mortality rate of their plant workers insofar as cancer rates from touching\breathing the same? AND...they are a major world polluter in most of their industrial cities at this point...so anything coming from their tells me that they just don't give a damn about us, or their citizens! Hmmmmm...
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
2X of OC. N2 is used on aircraft tires as it does not expand near as much due to temp or altitude. If you pump up an aircraft tire to max with regular air, take it to 30,000-40,000 ft, you have a belly full of bombs as they would most likely explode from expansion passing 30,000 ft. Certainly, it would cause damage to the tires structure. This was one of the questions on the commercial pilots test I took in 1968.
As far as N2 in land tires, I can't see any advantage. The only time I add air is once a year with the ambient temp change and that is rarely more than 2-3 lbs.
Nailed it. N2 is a marginal benefit in automotive tires, not worth the price you'll be paying to have them filled. Just carry a tire pressure gauge and check frequently.

As someone else pointed out, the air we breathe consists of 78 percent nitrogen. To be considered pure, nitrogen in your tires must be 93% nitrogen. So you're talking about an 8 percent difference in relative volume. The benefits are also negligible for most users, especially if you are diligent about maintenance.

This article from Tire Rack is informative. Best uses are for vehicles that are seldom driven (may apply to some of your RVs!) and folks who don't like to take care of their vehicles.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #46

Post #4 doesn't say much for TPMS. Is it really worth the money?
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #47
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

From what I have seen in our Columbus group, If you have Akuret or Westlake tires get rid of them. There are both good stories and bad, mostly bad.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Post #4 doesn't say much for TPMS. Is it really worth the money?
Absolutely! They are not that expensive.

If nothing else, it is worth the peace of mind. I used to tow; constantly checking the mirrors to try to see if my trailer tires were OK. Odds are that you would never see a problem in time to do anything about it.

With TPMS, I know the pressure and temperature of each tire in real time mode. There are alarms for heat; low pressure, high pressure.

Now I tow a lot more relaxed. If a problem is brewing, I will have some warning.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #49
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Absolutely! They are not that expensive.
If nothing else, it is worth the peace of mind. I used to tow; constantly checking the mirrors to try to see if my trailer tires were OK. Odds are that you would never see a problem in time to do anything about it.
With TPMS, I know the pressure and temperature of each tire in real time mode. There are alarms for heat; low pressure, high pressure.
Now I tow a lot more relaxed. If a problem is brewing, I will have some warning.
Agree, but if you do happen to hit something and have a blowout, the TPMS alarm will be "after the fact".
Old 03-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #50

I am ignorant. What are TPMS?

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:36 AM   #51

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

http://tsttruck.com/product/tst-507-flow-thru/
Old 03-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by themounties View Post
I like the 4 year plan, after we left Goshen last year enjoying some of the baked goods, we got about 2 hours down the road had a blow out, we were just driving along, someone pulls up beside us and told us we had one, had no clue, will not be without tpms again or a bottle Jack or correct tools, the tire wrench that came with our 2010 BR didn't fit the lugnuts not sure what it goes to, tires looked like they had enough tread to go another 5 years, still had another 4 hrs to go home that was along trip home.
Two handles came with the lite, nether is for the lugs.
One is for the manual stabilizer jacks the other is for the landing gear incase the electric does not work.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:57 AM   #53

We have had several discussions about the way trailers are delivered. I wonder how the Marathon's would hold up to the abuse that the delivery drivers cause to the trailer tires. Is the cause of the blow out cheap tires or careless delivery drivers that speed and the trailers are being delivered when the roads are in bad shape because of the winter weather.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
We have had several discussions about the way trailers are delivered. I wonder how the Marathon's would hold up to the abuse that the delivery drivers cause to the trailer tires. Is the cause of the blow out cheap tires or careless delivery drivers that speed and the trailers are being delivered when the roads are in bad shape because of the winter weather.
Yesterday I passed two rigs just out of Mountain home, Id. one was a semi that had been custom built to haul one travel trailer while towing a second.
The Chevy dually behind it was towing a FW both of them were under 65 MPH.

This couple was not the first delivery drivers that were doing IMO a damn fine job.

On the other hand I have seen so far this year two larger FW's over 70 MPH being towed by the owner/user.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #55

Not all delivery drivers speed but many do. So a combination to high speeds and bad roads make for tire damage. As for owners speeding you are right. I had a 5er pass me on the 401. I was doing 70mph and he went pass like I was standing still. People are complaining about their "China" bombs not holding up. I am asking how well the higher priced tires would hold up under the same conditions.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Not all delivery drivers speed but many do. So a combination to high speeds and bad roads make for tire damage. As for owners speeding you are right. I had a 5er pass me on the 401. I was doing 70mph and he went pass like I was standing still. People are complaining about their "China" bombs not holding up. I am asking how well the higher priced tires would hold up under the same conditions.
You probably get away with it for a bit longer but the results would likely be the same.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #57

Ref "Caper" and "Idaho". What you both say is true, esp. re the speed factor (sustained, no less...). Anytime those blacktops start heating up then the tires become a risk! Don't blowouts always seem to happen on curves and on the front wheels, lol?
Anyway, I think a LOT of people, deep down inside are still ticked re America's outsourcing of jobs to you-know-where(rightfully so) and esp. about the toxic products that you-know-where seems to produce for us to poison ourselves with.
So, can we truly "trust" their tire products as well? Really? I think American-made products are still the best no matter if the engineers you-know-where are supposedly following our standards to produce the imported product. Know what I mean people?? ;{
Old 03-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
If this is true,what did they do with B 29 tires in WW2? Never heard of them blowing up and those tires cant have been built as well as tires are today.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #59

Say Trbo..at least we KNOW the B29(yup...SuperFortress!) tires were NOT made in you-know-where, then? And...
I don't think they flew at their MAX service ceiling height of approx. 36,000 ft. unless they were in dire danger (Google this!), then all bets were off anyway! Normal bombing-run ceilings were a purported 29,000', more or less. So, I think Mike makes a point too? Interesting point you made... PB :}
Old 03-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #60

The only reason I know anything about it is that I had an uncle RIP who flew carpet bombing raids on japan. He said they would fly at 20k untill they got within 300 miles or so of japan and then would climb to 32k to avoid AA and fighters,make thier run, then reverse the proceedure going home.He sure had a bunch of good stories!

edit) he also said that they took all the defensive weapons out of the aircraft,includeing the crew that ran them, so as to carry more payload and/or fuel.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote