Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #1

Boondocking in late November, any concerns?

well not 100% boondocking, I'll be plugged into a 20a breaker which will be enough to let me run my furnace. Never camped this late in the season before, but it looks like I might be taking a trip in my Salem to the mountains in late November, where temps will be below freezing. I'll have enough electric to run my furnace and will keep the water heater lit, I think the fresh water tank is in heated environment...are there any concerns I need to be aware of? Should only be for 4-5 days, and I'll have an extra tank of propane as running my furnace really goes thru it. I'll have to put off winterizing until I get back I guess...
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #2

We don't get much in the way of freezing here. Heck...it's just now camping weather. Last Feb, my wife and in-laws took our trailer out for a week (I decided to stay home and work). We got a pretty good freeze...around 25 deg. I think...cold for here. I had them disconnect from city water at night and half fill the water tank to use for toilet and sink during that time. Had no problems since everything was more or less enclosed. I was most worried about the city water hose.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If the trailer has an enclosed underbelly, then the furnace ducting should keep the tanks from freezing if just in the 20s, but the teens might be a concern.

But what do you do about the exposed lines below the enclosed underbelly, like the dump valves and low point drains ?? For this ol' boy, I wrap those puppies with rope lites, and hopefully that will keep them from freezing.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #4

this will be my 1st experience camping this cold. last year, one morning was 7 degrees but we stayed in a hotel so it wasn't an issue, except my diesel truck was not happy... subsequent days warmed to the 20's then the 30's. underbelly of the trailer is enclosed so hopefully it'll be OK.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #5

I wouldn't worry about the dump valves too much. Those are mostly straight run pipes back to the tanks. P traps in the sinks...if those freeze, you have other issues at that point. If something were to freeze at the valves, it should expand back into the pipe and just push the liquid into the tanks. I would think wind chill would be the biggest issue. I'd wrap it in something...maybe just a towel to keep the wind off. Might be able to find something in the way of insulation at Lowe's or somewhere. Low points could be wrapped with pipe insulation.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #6

At many PA state parks they go to hibernate by October 15. Bathrooms closed, water closed, dump stations closed. What good is hitting them in late November?
TBthwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #7

Wind chill "can" be an issue for dump valves and such, but I'm regularly in much colder ambient temperatures and have never had any problem. As long as your underbelly is enclosed and the furnace is on you should be golden.

When I say an issue with dump valves.. it's not that there is damage by expanding ice.. just the valves may ice shut.. but nothing permanent. As long as you don't try to bang on them to break up the ice. LOL

Remember that as poorly insulated as most rigs are.. all that nice heat from your furnace is also radiating out to all parts of your rig.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #8

I don't see your rig posted. I have a 35 ft 5er. We were in lower, northern Michigan for our(Canadian) Thanksgiving earlier this month and it was chilly. We went through 2, 30 gallon propane tanks in 10 days of dry camping. The furnace ran more than normal because we had our 2 yr. old grandson with us. The windows had condensation on them every morning. Never checked inside the cupboards for condensation but there was some probably. It didn't get below freezing so didn't worry about anything freezing up. My 5er has tank heating pads as well but I have never used them. Another pea for the pot.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #9

Not a meteorologist, but I don't think wind chill has anything to do with this - it is only a gauge of how cold we "feel". Air temp is the only number to worry about. Is anyone with more credentials able to confirm or refute this thought?
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Been there done that. I don't worry to much with dump valves, my 5r has a bottom wrap. I do carry two extra hoses (drained) for water. I have had one blow out. I also use ceramic heaters you need to pay attention to the freshwater pump area. Mine refused to run one crisp morning. Rasied the RV thermostst to 80, warmed her up, and it worked. I also run a dehumidifier for the cooler/cold seasonal camping times. With ceramic heaters condensation is drawn into the RV and puddling forms on the windws and drips on the slider walls. Dehumidifiers are worth the pease of mind for mold. We love walking dogs on those crisp mornings. Have a great time..
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Not a meteorologist, but I don't think wind chill has anything to do with this - it is only a gauge of how cold we "feel". Air temp is the only number to worry about. Is anyone with more credentials able to confirm or refute this thought?
That's true....wind chill or "feels like" temperatures are just for people, doesn't effect anything else.

The gas furnace in a camper can really burn through some LP, I would suggest a couple of electric space heaters.

(I assume your camper has the heated tanks??)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #12

For a few degrees below freezing I don't worry. Even if something freezes it will thaw as the temp comes up during the day. The dump valves don't freeze that quick and it won't be a hard freeze to do any damage. The only thing that we have had freeze up was the water hose to the trailer.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
That's true...(wind chill) doesn't effect anything else.
True and not true. It affects how fast anything that has heat loses it. (E.g. coffee cup, plate of food, Dutch oven, camper windows). No effect on the dump valves as you said.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #14

Thanks everyone for the replies.

enclosed underbelly, no tank heaters but supposedly heat in the tank areas. Friend and I are going to try using my camper as 'base camp' for deer season this year. I have an extra 40lb lp tank in case my 2 30's run dry running the furnace. No water just electric where we are parking it.

Last year opening day of deer season temps were 7 degrees in the mountains where we were... but that was unusual and the rest of the week was 20's then 30's. will take a ceramic heater also just in case, depending on if we have enough amps to run it where we are plugged in (won't know till I get there).
Old 11-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #15

Are you going to state park, dispersed site, or private land (basecamp/hunt)?

I live and hunt in wmu3d, my ideas of basecamp is 5 miles into public land and carried in via frame packs. I pack a tent and sleeping bag and overnight if I get a deer at 430pm. 5 mile walkouts in the dark suck and throw a deer into the mix and it gets interesting.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBthwacker View Post
Are you going to state park, dispersed site, or private land (basecamp/hunt)?

I live and hunt in wmu3d, my ideas of basecamp is 5 miles into public land and carried in via frame packs. I pack a tent and sleeping bag and overnight if I get a deer at 430pm. 5 mile walkouts in the dark suck and throw a deer into the mix and it gets interesting.
I am way too old for that but I admire your spirit !

Normally bunk in the old farmhouse on the property we hunt, but it's getting worse each year from neglect. not sleeping on the ground but not much above that. No heat no water and pretty infested with mice and other critters. My neighbor has had a couple cases of Lyme in their family and really concerned with the ticks on the mice in the farmhouse. We're going to try using my camper for base camp this year, we have permission to park it at a friend's business and plug in to their electric. we'll ride the 4 wheelers the 8 miles into the property each day and haul out anything we get. I was just concerned about freezing pipes, last year opening morning was 7 degrees. I have an extra 40lb propane tank so I should be able to run the furnace for the week. the underbelly of my Salem is enclosed and supposedly heated so fingers crossed everything will weather the cold OK.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #17

December rifle can be -15 to 60 Rain or heavy snow. I live north of route 80. The PGC and pa fish and boat all recognize land north of 80 as different climate.