Old 12-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Border agents (U.S./Canadian)

In the past I have heard many people rant loudly about border crossing experiences and have even recently seen similar postings on this forum (thanks MtnGuy for closing it). As I am sure there are some campers among the border services, I would like to take this opportunity to say thanks for a job well done. I can honestly say I have never had a really bad experience crossing and the few delays we have encountered have been nothing but minor inconveniences. You are doing a tough job in trying times and we appreciate it as we would rather be safe than sorry. So here's to you all and feel free to link this over or pass it on to your fellow workers. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

Old Guys

new avatar of Dodge T V coming eventually
old guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
I'll second that. I have only been across the US/Canadian border a few times and the experience was always professional.

2010 Rockwood 2604SS
2008 Silverado 1500 LTZ 4X4

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Third. Going both ways this past summer, was easy. They were polite and did their job.
2010 XLR 29CKV
2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
rcpd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
Well said..
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #5

A lot, and I mean a lot, of our vacation travels have us crossing the border at vacation time, and we've never had an issue.

We as Canadians value our friendship with our Southern neighbours. When we see the problems that other countries have with their border countries, we count ourselves lucky to have the opportunity to visit back and forth as much as we do without issue.

Those of you who live further from the border wouldn't have the exposure to this freedom between countries we enjoy. Those of us who are as close as we are and can take advantage of it, should never take it for granted.

Best of the season to all on the forum. Given our common interests in travel, I invite everyone to visit each other as often as possible.

I for one, will always value the friendships made through our hobby and the closeness of our friends to the South.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Nice post ! I'm in my mid 40's and have never had a "bad" run in w/ Law Enforcement of any kind. Seems the folks who get upset......are upset because they got caught doing something wrong !!

Glad they are there !!
2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost, Screw, H/D, 3.73
1930 lbs CCC
2010 Flagstaff 26 RLSS (Sold 05/16)
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Funny. As a Canadian, and I might not be the most friendly looking individual, I have never had a problem going south. The border guards are always friendly, always have a nice word or two for the wife and kids. BUT, the last two times coming home, some kind of bug was up the rear end of the Canadian border guards. I don't know what it was, but funny enough, I wasn't allowed to proceed until I started making a fuss about it. One time was after I let the homeland security folks do a training session on my truck and trailer (which passed with flying colours, thankfully), not sure, but it makes me think long and hard whether or not I want to go south or not, which is kind of a cr-ppy situation with the dollar at par.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, Entertainment: 3 Boys (24,22,20) and now girlfriends too, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross). Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
I'm less than an hour from the border so I've already been across a couple times with the new trailer. First time over this year while we're sitting in line the DW noticed my passport had expired just a month earlier . Considering the border tensions in recent years I assumed this would be a show stopper for the rest of our 9 day vacation and the substantial amount I'd already placed in sites reservations. Decided to play stupid and cross our fingers to see what happened. As it turned out he didn't notice or didn't care about the expiry date. I assume didn't care because when they scan the cards I assume expiry date would throw a flag.

Anyhow let me echo your sentiments "MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR"
Nights camped
2007 Shamrock F19 hybrid - 2010 (22 nights), 2011 (24 nights), 2012 (11 nights)
2013 Surveyor Select 235RKS -
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
well said for the OP. I can only imagine the crap they get to deal with . I also believe the ones who complain are the ones with the "problems" inherent to being pulled over. I have been over the border several times as I have lots of family in the U.S and have only had my apples taken away(I guess he need lunch that day). other then that no problems.In my guess it is probably the defient ones that have the most issues,they figure it is their right to cross the border rather then a privledge to do so.
2011 Ram Laramie
2010 Rockwood 8319ss
2010 Polaris sportman 300(wife's)
2005 Polaris sportman 500HO (mine)

trailraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Villa Estate 392FLFB
As a Canadian i figured it out when going to the usa. if you have been down, and people in your vehicle have been down then you get your info run, go on your way. go down with someone that has never been to the usa or no record of being in the usa or has smudge in the record you get pulled in and they give ya the hot irons lol.

I understand why though. would you want someone visiting your country that has a record, that is a bad person or will become a burden? didnt think so. So its up to the men and women of the border agencies to do the good job they do! Also if you have nothing to hide and no wrong doings then there is nothing to be afraid of! (lol unless like one friend they ask how he escaped prison lol)

One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote