Old 02-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #91
On page eight right now and as of yet I haven't seen anyone post one of my main reasons for not loaning out our "home away from home".

We bought brand new for a major reason: No One Has Slept In That Bed Other Than The Two Of Us. And it will stay that way...big fat black period.

I'm extremely "squicked" about such things. Comforters/bedspreads aren't laundered every day (between guests) in hotel rooms, so we don't sleep under them. The comforter is removed from the bed and if I need more warmth I'll call housekeeping for an extra blanket.

We *know* our bathroom fixtures are sanitary.

(now, I accept that my extended family would be an exception to the above "squick" so this mainly applies to non family asking to borrow)

Our 5er has never been smoked in, and never will be while we own it, even though DH enjoys a cigar now and then. I wouldn't trust anyone who borrowed it to honor that. Neither does he smoke in our S&B home.

The only pet to ever enter our RV is our Fred, and he's well housebroken. A "visiting" pet might well feel the need to "make it theirs" by marking something.

Now there's liability; how many stories have you read here about tire blowouts? If the driver (likely inexperienced at towing) lost control of the TT/TV after a blow out and there were (God forbid) injuries or fatalities?

For all the reasons I've posted in this thread, I'd likely not sleep while our 5er was loaned out.

The answer remains NEAUX.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #92
My sons have been out with me enough times that they know how everything functions. I would let either of them take the TT for a weekend, week, or whatever. I know they are honorable men, and would replace anything they damaged... in fact, one already has replaced an item that he broke while out with me. My daughter and SIL could also take it if they wanted. They own my last TT and are familiar with all of it. Anyone else... nope...

J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #93
"Borrow" my cam... :roflb lack:...per!NOT!
John, Lilly & the kids.
2013 Surveyor Select SV 305
2011 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:42 PM   #94
My wife and older son cant drive. So on long trips my 19 year old helps with the driving and can set up on his own. I would trust him to take our 3170 out. But only because I know he will do the right thing.
MountainMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:12 AM   #95
Like many of you, our first camper was a popup which we bought new and camped often, but kept it in prime shape. After several years, we let my niece and her husband borrow it one weekend and they brought it back in better shape than when it left. He's a carpenter and would notice little things he could modify. THEY could take it any time they asked! When we were ready to get a TT, we gave the popup to them and they still use it. But that is the only exception I can think of. Our TT will NOT be loaned out.
Jeff and Kathy Howard

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2703SS
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500
Pitstop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #96
I would not ask to borrow someone Else's camper nor would I loan mine out.
2000 F250 Superduty CC LB 7.3 4x4
2013 344QB Wildcat
Nights camped 2014 ( 15)
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #97
Nice seeing this thread. My brother thinks the RV was a great addition to the "family". I told him that I would love to have him and his family accompany me and my wife when we go camping. But for taking it out with out me. No. Like the previous posts says, no one sleeps in my bed but me my wife and my dogs.
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #98
Loaned it to my son. He didn't take down the awning at night and there was a rainstorm that ended up bending and destroying the awning. After $700 out of my pocket plus money my insurance paid I've learned my lesson.
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #99
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by mfrys View Post
Nice seeing this thread. My brother thinks the RV was a great addition to the "family". I told him that I would love to have him and his family accompany me and my wife when we go camping. But for taking it out with out me. No. Like the previous posts says, no one sleeps in my bed but me my wife and my dogs.
Your brother must be related to my brother. He said almost the same thing when I brought our 5th wheel home. Amazing...

I told him the same thing. Tell me where you want to go and I will set up a trip there and you guys can go with us. 4 years later; no bites.

That worked out well!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #100
Site Team
I borrowed my dads popup back in 1979. Lost the cap off the fresh water inlet. No internet back then. No local or close rv dealers. Felt so guilty that I couldn't find a replacement cap. I saved caps of every size for two months trying to find a fit. Finally, a lucky leaf apple juice cap fit perfectly. I put 4-5 spares in the popup just in case. Borrowing comes with many responsibilities. I don't like it.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote