Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #81
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Oc just answered my question. I now know where I can borrow a 5VR in between his trips. Thanks OC LOL
All I can say Daisy is "Dream on"
Old 02-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Anyone who thinks that loaning out their car/truck/camper is a good idea should sit down with a liability lawyer for an hour or two. Bad enough to lose your house for your own accident; would hate to lose it for a friend's.

PA does not have a Homestead Exclusion as some other states have.

In your opinion, What might I be liable for if I am sure my truck and/or camper insurance covers the people using it? Please explain if you don't mind? I am no expert and would rather hear some opinions then discuss anything with a lawyer.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #83
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
In your opinion, What might I be liable for if I am sure my truck and/or camper insurance covers the people using it? Please explain if you don't mind? I am no expert and would rather hear some opinions then discuss anything with a lawyer.
I am only familiar with the asset protection strategies (as discussed with my lawyer) for PA. I am also NOT a lawyer; nor do I play one on the internet.

So, with that caveat, if you are sued in PA as a result of an "at fault" accident and the suit is more than the maximum of your insurance (per person or per accident maximum) AND the person or persons who were injured decline to accept your insurance's maximum payout per person as settlement in full (happens most when you are under-insured); your insurance company will cut YOU a check for that amount. You then are on the hook for everything; lawyer fees; court costs; and the final liability judgement.

If the injured parties can link their suit to others, they can get the maximum from them too. As the owner of the vehicle involved in the accident, you could be shown to have "enabled" the accident sequence, perhaps by allowing an "unqualified" operator access to your vehicle, or whatever the plaintiff's lawyer can cook up. If the vehicle is titled in both you and your DW's name, (in PA), ALL your jointly held assets are "on the table" as well.

This is known as "deep pockets" and if the injuries are severe enough and the need for medical expenses obvious, they may even go after the vehicle's manufacturer, too.

I was told that a single closed head injury award in PA could easily be 500,000 dollars. Not many young folks carry more than the minimum car insurance, so you can BET they will be coming after yours.

State-by-State Minimum Car Insurance Requirements

The PA minimum for PER PERSON is 15,000 and the per accident maximum is 30,000. Have you ever asked the person you lent your truck/camper to what their insurance limits were?

For example (again in PA) - my truck and camper is in my name only and I am the only driver. That way only my individual assets (and wage income - not retirement income) are subject to judgement and joint assets are excluded. IF my DW was driving and "I allowed it," Then ALL our assets Hers, Mine, and Ours are subject to the judgement. In PA there is no Homestead Exclusion so your jointly held home can be force sold in the judgement. Other states do have a Homestead Exclusion and some have limits (like $250,000) which could force a sale if the house is worth more than that.

This is why we are very careful that the "registered driver" is the only driver of their vehicle. I 99% of the time drive my truck and the DW 99% of the time drives her car. When I drive her car I know that I am placing our home at risk. NO ONE else drives our vehicles; ever.

Understanding the risks in YOUR state is important when making decisions like this.

Additional Reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_exemption
http://www.lawchek.net/resources/for.../homestead.htm
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #84
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
How about your truck being involved in bad crash killing several people.
The driver said the brakes failed.
Lawyers sued were the money is. Driver ,owner who ever they can

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

People who sue will go after anyone and everyone they can. If there's an accident and the trailer is involved in damage to someone else or their possessions and the primary liability policy of the owner of the vehicle (your friend's if they are driving their truck) is insufficient, expect to become involved.

An umbrella policy (yours and/or your friends) might help if an over-limit accident did occur.

Best advice I will give is to check first with your insurance agent. Don't take financial advice given freely over the internet (including mine )

But, before we take the thread too far into the liability associated with lending a camper (which is certainly a worthwhile side issue), the OPs question was a tad different and would not involve the liability associated with a vehicular accident...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitstop88 View Post
I want to share our TT with our camping buddies, but only while I tow it and set it up. What are your thoughts?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #86
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
the OPs question was a tad different and would not involve the liability associated with a vehicular accident...
Thanks, I missed that part.
I still would be hesitant, but only from having to fix what got broke.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I still would be hesitant, but only from having to fix what got broke.
I know what you mean. Its got to be the right person if I'm going to lend. My dad, my brother, and a few friends who are like brothers.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #88

Thanks guys. Food for thought, thats for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #89
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
People who sue will go after anyone and everyone they can. If there's an accident and the trailer is involved in damage to someone else or their possessions and the primary liability policy of the owner of the vehicle (your friend's if they are driving their truck) is insufficient, expect to become involved.

An umbrella policy (yours and/or your friends) might help if an over-limit accident did occur.

Best advice I will give is to check first with your insurance agent. Don't take financial advice given freely over the internet (including mine )

But, before we take the thread too far into the liability associated with lending a camper (which is certainly a worthwhile side issue), the OPs question was a tad different and would not involve the liability associated with a vehicular accident...
A very good reason not to loan out your camper could be the liability part.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #90

To me asking to borrow a camper is to much. Borrowing a tool or a lawn mower maybe. But something that big and expensive is going to far. I would never ask to borrow some one else's camper. And if a "friend" asks to borrow a camper you choose to say no. The way they react and choose to treat you after you say no will truly show you what kind of friend you have.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #91
NELA

On page eight right now and as of yet I haven't seen anyone post one of my main reasons for not loaning out our "home away from home".

We bought brand new for a major reason: No One Has Slept In That Bed Other Than The Two Of Us. And it will stay that way...big fat black period.

I'm extremely "squicked" about such things. Comforters/bedspreads aren't laundered every day (between guests) in hotel rooms, so we don't sleep under them. The comforter is removed from the bed and if I need more warmth I'll call housekeeping for an extra blanket.

We *know* our bathroom fixtures are sanitary.

(now, I accept that my extended family would be an exception to the above "squick" so this mainly applies to non family asking to borrow)

But....

Our 5er has never been smoked in, and never will be while we own it, even though DH enjoys a cigar now and then. I wouldn't trust anyone who borrowed it to honor that. Neither does he smoke in our S&B home.

The only pet to ever enter our RV is our Fred, and he's well housebroken. A "visiting" pet might well feel the need to "make it theirs" by marking something.

Now there's liability; how many stories have you read here about tire blowouts? If the driver (likely inexperienced at towing) lost control of the TT/TV after a blow out and there were (God forbid) injuries or fatalities?

For all the reasons I've posted in this thread, I'd likely not sleep while our 5er was loaned out.

The answer remains NEAUX.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #92

My sons have been out with me enough times that they know how everything functions. I would let either of them take the TT for a weekend, week, or whatever. I know they are honorable men, and would replace anything they damaged... in fact, one already has replaced an item that he broke while out with me. My daughter and SIL could also take it if they wanted. They own my last TT and are familiar with all of it. Anyone else... nope...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #93

"Borrow" my cam... :roflb lack:...per!NOT!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #94

My wife and older son cant drive. So on long trips my 19 year old helps with the driving and can set up on his own. I would trust him to take our 3170 out. But only because I know he will do the right thing.
MountainMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 AM   #95

Like many of you, our first camper was a popup which we bought new and camped often, but kept it in prime shape. After several years, we let my niece and her husband borrow it one weekend and they brought it back in better shape than when it left. He's a carpenter and would notice little things he could modify. THEY could take it any time they asked! When we were ready to get a TT, we gave the popup to them and they still use it. But that is the only exception I can think of. Our TT will NOT be loaned out.

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2703SS
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500
Pitstop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #96

I would not ask to borrow someone Else's camper nor would I loan mine out.
Never
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #97

Nice seeing this thread. My brother thinks the RV was a great addition to the "family". I told him that I would love to have him and his family accompany me and my wife when we go camping. But for taking it out with out me. No. Like the previous posts says, no one sleeps in my bed but me my wife and my dogs.
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #98

Loaned it to my son. He didn't take down the awning at night and there was a rainstorm that ended up bending and destroying the awning. After $700 out of my pocket plus money my insurance paid I've learned my lesson.
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #99
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrys View Post
Nice seeing this thread. My brother thinks the RV was a great addition to the "family". I told him that I would love to have him and his family accompany me and my wife when we go camping. But for taking it out with out me. No. Like the previous posts says, no one sleeps in my bed but me my wife and my dogs.
Your brother must be related to my brother. He said almost the same thing when I brought our 5th wheel home. Amazing...

I told him the same thing. Tell me where you want to go and I will set up a trip there and you guys can go with us. 4 years later; no bites.

That worked out well!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #100
Site Team

I borrowed my dads popup back in 1979. Lost the cap off the fresh water inlet. No internet back then. No local or close rv dealers. Felt so guilty that I couldn't find a replacement cap. I saved caps of every size for two months trying to find a fit. Finally, a lucky leaf apple juice cap fit perfectly. I put 4-5 spares in the popup just in case. Borrowing comes with many responsibilities. I don't like it.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper