Old 02-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #71
Site Team
Originally Posted by BBBlue View Post
I lent out our 39' 2013 Sanibel to our son for a week. He returned it in a complete mess. The electrical system was completely fried, the carpet covered in mud and dog excrement, two of the tires had nails in them and developed a slow leak, the right side of the until was scrapped up from where he sided a tree, the awning was gone, the rear end was crushed in, two of the slam hatch doors were missing, one door on our refrigerator was torn from the hinges. I could go on, but am recently recovering over the heart attack this issue brought on. Any way, I was awaken by my wife who realized I was having a terrible nightmare. Thank goodness it was only a bad dream. My final answer is hell no!
Just wondering how your son is doing ??? Did he recover from his trip to the woodshed:sp ankbottom:

Next year is here - GO CUBS- 4 more WINS to go
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2016- 89 nights of camping
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #72
Last summer we let our daughter, son-in-law, 2 grandsons and their 2 dogs use our TT out at the lake for a few nights. I hauled it out, set it up and hauled back when they were done.

They had a great time and the trailer was no worse for wear. They'll be doing the same thing again this summer.

They also will bring out their tent and camp with us on weekends.

I love hearing our grandson's camping stories.

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP296
Old Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #73
Site Team
A new family joined our church. Inactive marine, wife and 2 daughters. I took him hunting once and he saw my 5er in the driveway. About 5 months later he called me from sw Texas job site asking if wife and kids could borrow the camper til he got home to repair electrical problems that kept the ac from working in their little rent house. I thought quickly and started telling him in great detail each step of setup including purging air from gas line, lighting oven with match, opening and closing valves on sewer and shower water drains, checking fluid levels in hydraulic landing gear, connecting battery cut off, checking shore power with amp meter before plugging in, and on and on. He finally interrupted me and said, "there's no way she can do that. She can't put a roll of tissue on the holder." I told him I'd check on them til he got home.
Went over and stapled blankets in the doorless bedroom doorways. There were no doors and bedroom ac's worked, just not the living room. All was fine. There was no way I could have turned them loose in that RV.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #74
Not Happening lol
2013 Wildcat 323QB
08 Silverado Crew Cab 2500HD Duramax-Allison
Twin Honda 2000 campsite friendly generators
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #75
Will never happen. I'm a little leery about friends/family even camping in it WITH us. Had our new TT out last summer with a friend, his wife and their son. After 3 days, i had to order parts to fix the screen door and dinette table that my buddy couldn't "figure out" and fix the outdoor shower their son "did nothing" to.

I felt bad recently telling my sister "sorry, but no"... as they've borrowed other friends' pup's in the past... I started telling her and her husband that PUP's are different than TT's.... and about all the things that need to be remembered/done. Their eyes just kinda glazed over. When i got to the part about asking my BIL how he felt using my TV because that's what the Equal-i-zer is fitted for... he said (after i explained what WD/sway was)... "I'll just use my hitch. I don't need weight distribution or sway control with my truck." That was when i knew... no chance.

I will, however, let me son borrow it when he's ready... in another 20 years or so (he's 9)... hahaha.
2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L
KDHfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #76
That would be like loaning your wife way. There are just too many things that a "non camper" does not understand about an RV. Loaned our old FW to my favorite sister-in-law and here husband for 2 months while they remodeled their house. The are great folks, but they still managed to "mess up" quite a few things only because they do not understand RVs.
North Carolina born and bred
2010 Sandpiper 345RET
2011 2500 Duramax Silverado
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #77
Originally Posted by pwrstroke2012 View Post
I have a few friends that have pulled trailers, been camping and know how to take care of equipment that I would not have any issue with borrowing it. They have borrowed stuff from me before and always returned it in same or better shape and vice versa. The list of who I would let borrow it is very small tho.

X2. Only 3 people on my list, and chances are they wouldnt ask but if they did ask to borrow the camper at time I wasnt using it, they would be more then welcome too.

I love TOYS, but never been that attached to material things. Wanna borrow my truck, go for it. Need to use the mower, Sure. Take my ATV up to the mountains. Fine.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #78
Mod free 5er
Will set ours up for our oldest son in Atlanta if he needs it as he is very familiar with the mechanics of it and is quite capable of fixing anything. To loan it to anyone else, the answer would be HELL NO!

Well... maybe a very few from here on the FRF.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #79
Site Team - Lou
Anyone who thinks that loaning out their car/truck/camper is a good idea should sit down with a liability lawyer for an hour or two. Bad enough to lose your house for your own accident; would hate to lose it for a friend's.

PA does not have a Homestead Exclusion as some other states have.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #80
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Oc just------------

Oc just answered my question. I now know where I can borrow a 5VR in between his trips.

Thanks OC

Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is online now   Reply With Quote