Old 08-18-2016, 12:52 AM   #1
Bought a preowned. What to ask dealer?

I just bought a 2012 Wolf Pup 17rr. I'm driving 1,000 to pick it up. my question: what sort of things do I ask the dealer? What did you wish you asked? Assume I know nothing. Towing with a 1/2 ton Silverado, so no issues there.

Thanks in advance!

NDCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
Head Rambler
If you've already bought it, there's not much to ask except making sure everything works as it's supposed to.

Go out of your way to make sure they operate each and every device on the unit.
Weight distributing hitch,
Brake lights,
Tail/running lights,
Turn signals,
Interior lights,
Interior and exterior 120 volt receptacles,
Air conditioner,
Water pump,
Water Heater,
Vent hood fan,
Bathroom vent fan,
Garage door,
Tongue jack,
And anything else that runs or moves.

Also either you or them need to ensure that all the tires are in good condition and are properly inflated.

Don't just take their word for it either, make them show you that it works and how it works. They probably won't want to run the furnace, but make them. It's important.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
I would approach it just like buying a new trailer with the understanding some things may show ware. Absolutely require them to show you how everything works. good luck with your purchase
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2006 F350 6.0
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Site Team
If it was sold as in good condition ( everything working). Make sure everything is working before you leave the dealer. Do not accept " take it and use it and you can bring it back for us to fix what you find does not work" Even if they hold to their word, you will always be on the bottom of the list as there is any labor is out of their pocket.
If you are really new as you state, record any equipment demos you are concerned about.
Ask why was it traded in?
Are there any defects ?
Check roof for damage and sealant . If you see new sealant question why it is there.
Don't expect perfect, but make sure it meets your needs then use it and have fun.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:09 AM   #5
Ask if the wheel bearings have recently been re-packed. Then when you get home do it again yourself to be sure they are ready to go.
2012 F150 4x4 5.0
2011 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26bh
God Bless America
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #6
Thanks to all. I have a popup, but have never used anything other than the stove. So water, toilet, power, etc is all new to me.

Bama: That list is EXACTLY what I was looking for.
NDCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
Take notes, this is very important. You might only have one time to have someone show you how to do something and there will be so much information that you might not remember it all. If you have never hooked up a camper at a campground before, make sure you find out what hose goes where. I have two different dump places on my rv, a forward one and one in the rear. It took me a while to figure which one to keep hooked up.
Also make a check list to use before moving your camper. Also a check list when you get to the campground for set up. If there are two of you traveling it isn't a bad idea for both to check so each thing will be double checked.
Don't take anything for granted. I pulled my TT for 13 years and never had any problems with it. I did have bolts come loose to my hitch on my TV.
Drive carefully, don't let your TT start swaying, make sure your brakes are up to the job of stopping you.
Have fun and enjoy your camper.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
In addition to the already good suggestions, I would ensure:

- operating manuals for each appliance is included
- check dates on propane tanks to ensure they've not been swapped out with older or expired tanks.
- all cranking device tools are included
- if the dealer was the original new selling dealer, ask to review any service or warranty records.
- check the state of the battery.
- not only that the gas appliances light, but, they burn a nice blue flame that they should.

Can't think anything else.
Dave, Southern,ON

2009 GMC K1500 4x4 Crew Cab
2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou
I would add "How to winterize and de-winterize" since you will be 1,000 miles from anyone (besides us) who will show you "for free".

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #10
One other item - have them remove and replace the anode rod in the water heater if it has one. Make sure the new one can be screwed in properly - threads tend to wear out over time.

gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote