Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #21

I would like someone from Forest River to sound in on this one
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #22

I'm wondering if the recommendation sheet being spoken of was from Forest River or from the dealer which from the post my guess is CW. I believe when I got a camper from CW I got a sheet of recommendations to purchase as well. If that is the case as a dealership of that type it is my opinion they do not care so much about what is correct or what the manufacturer suggests as much as they try to up sell as much as they can because that is where the huge profits margins are.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 PM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple SS View Post
I would like someone from Forest River to sound in on this one

The owners manual isn't good enough?

There are less and less reps on here. Sadly, they seem to get beaten up and go quiet after a while (or leave FR and no one back fills them).
Old 05-03-2016, 05:22 AM   #24

Yes, the stabilizers work. Like I said, you don't attach them under the slide itself, they support the main body frame under the slideout. Since I have been using these I get almost no movement.
Good luck.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Slide outs and the use of the supports AKA stabilizers or that Forest River urges the use of them?
my 2012 Salem 27RKSS came with a sheet which had several recommendations - one was the use of stabilizers (some people call them slide out supports) for underneath the slide out (some people call them Tip outs.)

Camping World...
Reference that FR recommends the use of slide out supports. Could be for specific units. I only asked because I had always heard not to use them. I emailed Steve from Coachmen and stated that they were not necessary.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #26

Do you guys think it would help if I let some air out of the tires? It is blocked up on four spots along the frame. If I let air out the the frame would be on those blocks. I'm just not sure if what I'm feeling is from the movement of the tires.
Ecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:10 AM   #27
Insert witty title here

The owner's manual for my TT says nothing about putting supports under the slides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:08 PM   #28

Trust us - its not the tires... its the 1000 + pound slide out sitting on 2 small steel rails and another 400 to 1000 lbs that's sitting in the slide out when you have it extended.
slide out supports were invented to take care of that "Bounce"

just go with the flow and order the supports (several types have been identified. and then let us know how you made out.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRVR View Post
Reference that FR recommends the use of slide out supports. Could be for specific units. I only asked because I had always heard not to use them. I emailed Steve from Coachmen and stated that they were not necessary.

Thanks
and my service guy for my new truck said my spark plugs for my 2013 F150 Ecoboost were good for 60,000 miles too but last week at 40,000 miles they had to replace all 6 plus the coil packs as well under warranty.

just because a sales person says they are not needed or necessary...well if they can get a larger repair later on from you at your expense they will. Some trailer shops will also tell you that you don't need to wash and seal your roof 2 times a year as well.

trial and error - but there is a ton of knowledge on this site who have learned by their own error by not spending a few minutes and listening to others errors and fixes.

also use something like the X chalk between your tires in addition to the stabilizers. beats bent rails and not having to be able to close the slide out back into transport mode because something is bent..
Old 05-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #30

LIMPERT slide outs...

Mechanical Maintenance
Although the system is designed to be almost maintenance free, actuate
the room once or twice a month to keep the seals and internal moving
parts lubricated.
Check for any visible signs of external damage after and before
movement of the travel trailer.
NOTE: For long-term storage: It is recommend that the room be closed

there is no difference between you putting the trailer into storage and leaving it sit in a summer fall park for 5 months of the year unsupported other than you and the Mrs. plus friends and family are sitting in the slide out.
That 1000 lb + slide out is still overhanging the main frame work for support.
so if the manufacturer says to support it AKA close the slide out back into the unit for long terms... it is logical that the same would hold for supporting it in an extended position.

http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...tionManual.pdf

bottom of page 4.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Trust us - its not the tires... its the 1000 + pound slide out sitting on 2 small steel rails and another 400 to 1000 lbs that's sitting in the slide out when you have it extended.
slide out supports were invented to take care of that "Bounce"

just go with the flow and order the supports (several types have been identified. and then let us know how you made out.
slide out supports do not take care of bounce . using them could cause damage to the slide out mechanism . if you put supports under the slide out and the rest of the unit moves you will put great stress on the slide out.
the bounce comes from sitting on springs and tires . there are tt and fiver supports to prevent bounce . jt strong arms for one . if you have good jacks for extra support you can eleminate most if not all bounce . most tt jacks are just stabilizers not designed to support the weight of the tt so adding extra jacks will take the weight off the springs and tires reducing bounce . slide out supports are a no no and will cause damage
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
so if the manufacturer says to support it AKA close the slide out back into the unit for long terms... it is logical that the same would hold for supporting it in an extended position.
That is a gigantic leap in logic. Keeping the slide closed while in storage and using slideout supports are not even close to the same thing.

I stand by my (and many other's) advice to never use them.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #33
Site Team

As for the OP, I'm on a permanent site and have been for 5+ years.

My current trailer has 4 separate slides. I've blocked it up using cinder blocks and wood shims underneath the frame only. I have blocks on each of the four corners as well as in front and back of both tires for a total of 8. This along with the JT strong arms that came with the trailer have made it pretty solid. Even with 2 adults, 3 kids and 2 dogs I never feel it bounce.

I still have yet to see documented evidence of any manufacturer suggesting the use of slide-out stabilizers.

I run my slides out in the spring and bring them back in the fall. I'd guess 99% of other permanents do the same thing. Never heard of anyone having a problem doing that.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
As for the OP, I'm on a permanent site and have been for 5+ years.

My current trailer has 4 separate slides. I've blocked it up using cinder blocks and wood shims underneath the frame only. I have blocks on each of the four corners as well as in front and back of both tires for a total of 8. This along with the JT strong arms that came with the trailer have made it pretty solid. Even with 2 adults, 3 kids and 2 dogs I never feel it bounce.

I still have yet to see documented evidence of any manufacturer suggesting the use of slide-out stabilizers.

I run my slides out in the spring and bring them back in the fall. I'd guess 99% of other permanents do the same thing. Never heard of anyone having a problem doing that.

I have basically the same set up as you except the JT Strong Arms and we still get a good amount of movement. I don't feel it when I'm standing in the trailer. Only when sitting on the couch or in bed.
Ecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
found a Keystone reference (SOB trailer company) reference
KEYSTONE RV COMPANY OWNER'S MANUAL: page 17, Leveling & Slide-Outs: "In extended situations, it is advisable to add support blocks under the slide-out room. Do not raise the room. Just touch the bottom."

Although it states blocks... the key word is "SUPPORT"

I'll use my supports under teh slide outs as well as the factory support jacks under the corners as it actually works to the level of "SUPPORT" that I need it to. It takes teh bounce out which is what someone asked how to accomplish that task.

if the product was not intended for use then millions of campers dollars are being spend on products made by a few companies like UltraFab sold by dozens of companies like E-Trailer and Camping World and Amazon EBay which do not fulfill that promise. why do they sell so many and why is there never a peep about these being fraudulent products?
Old 05-12-2016, 07:32 AM   #36
Mod free 5er

MilCop4523, it's your trailer and therefore you can do as you please with it. When you happen to have a tire or tires go flat with the slide(s) supported, you will no doubt have major slide out damage.

My take on it is if the mfg wanted the slides supported, they would furnish the supports. JMHO.

Have fun and do whatever you want.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinostop View Post
I'm wondering if the recommendation sheet being spoken of was from Forest River or from the dealer which from the post my guess is CW. I believe when I got a camper from CW I got a sheet of recommendations to purchase as well. If that is the case as a dealership of that type it is my opinion they do not care so much about what is correct or what the manufacturer suggests as much as they try to up sell as much as they can because that is where the huge profits margins are.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Nail on the Head! Youroo!!
Old 05-12-2016, 08:22 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
MilCop4523, it's your trailer and therefore you can do as you please with it. When you happen to have a tire or tires go flat with the slide(s) supported, you will no doubt have major slide out damage.

My take on it is if the mfg wanted the slides supported, they would furnish the supports. JMHO.

Have fun and do whatever you want.
thats correct and the great thing everyone has an opinion. the OP asked for opinions/ thoughts on the matter aka advice. they can sift through them and flatten the tires to let air out which they believe is causing the bounce.
million dollar industry in creating a product not recommended by some... makes sense not to use them for some as well.

sort of like Bras some work taking the bounce out and offer support for a few but not all.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
found a Keystone reference (SOB trailer company) reference
KEYSTONE RV COMPANY OWNER'S MANUAL: page 17, Leveling & Slide-Outs: "In extended situations, it is advisable to add support blocks under the slide-out room. Do not raise the room. Just touch the bottom."
Do you have a link for that? Because I'm not seeing it in the one I found.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/3003...17_revised.pdf
Old 05-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #40

I too have always heard not to put slide out supports under the slides as damage can result .........................

So if the supports were necessary why does a dealer put the slide out when it comes on the lot and not close them until the purchaser takes it home ??????? The trailer may sit there a long time ............. even over a year ???????? Never seen any dealers put them in ............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out