Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #41
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
thats correct and the great thing everyone has an opinion. the OP asked for opinions/ thoughts on the matter aka advice. they can sift through them and flatten the tires to let air out which they believe is causing the bounce.
million dollar industry in creating a product not recommended by some... makes sense not to use them for some as well.

sort of like Bras some work taking the bounce out and offer support for a few but not all.
I'm wondering if you have a link for that! ^^

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:56 AM   #42
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm wondering if you have a link for that! ^^
No its all REAL world data through exhaustive personal investigation...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I too have always heard not to put slide out supports under the slides as damage can result .........................

So if the supports were necessary why does a dealer put the slide out when it comes on the lot and not close them until the purchaser takes it home ??????? The trailer may sit there a long time ............. even over a year ???????? Never seen any dealers put them in ............

then again why does the slide out manufacturer recommend pulling them in for storage as seen in my earlier post?

sitting on a lot waiting for mom and pop to purchase is no different than me or you storing it for the off season...
Old 05-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
then again why does the slide out manufacturer recommend pulling them in for storage as seen in my earlier post?
It's not in their current manual.

I also found a Lippert manual and didn't see anything either way for or against using them.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...de-out-web.pdf
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
It's not in their current manual.

I also found a Lippert manual and didn't see anything either way for or against using them.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...de-out-web.pdf
please consult that link you quoted on the bottom of page 6.
plain as day

"Mechanical Maintenance
Although the system is designed to be almost maintenance free, actuate the room once or twice a month to keep
the seals and internal moving parts lubricated. Check for any visible signs of external damage after and before
movement of the travel trailer.
Note: For long-term storage: It is recommended that the room be closed"
Old 05-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
please consult that link you quoted on the bottom of page 6.
plain as day

"Mechanical Maintenance
Although the system is designed to be almost maintenance free, actuate the room once or twice a month to keep
the seals and internal moving parts lubricated. Check for any visible signs of external damage after and before
movement of the travel trailer.
Note: For long-term storage: It is recommended that the room be closed"
Closing the slide during long-term storage =/= advocating the use of supports that may damage the slide.

Once again, I have yet to see documented evidence of any manufacturer suggesting the use of slide-out stabilizers.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #47
Insert witty title here

Quote:

sitting on a lot waiting for mom and pop to purchase is no different than me or you storing it for the off season...
I'm guessing it has more to do with leak prevention.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #48

This might be an older travel trailer issue - you know when trailers were built a bit sturdier but once again...

"SLIDE OUTS: In extended use situations, it is advisable to
add support blocks under the slide room. Do not raise the
room, but just touch the bottom. Also, during prolonged stays
it is advisable to run the room in and out occasionally to ensure
proper lubrication. "

http://www.dutchmen.com/media/5765/2...ers-manual.pdf

page 21 last paragraph.
it also states
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE JACKS STANDS
OR STABILIZER JACKS TO JACK UP THE
TRAILER OR SUPPORT THE FULL WEIGHT OF
THE TRAILER.

no one here is stating to change a tire on a trailer or lift the trailer off the ground with a stabilizer jack.

And if people are going to use the term stabilizer vs support as an argument... I would think a blocked support would do more damage than the light stabilizers seen today as blocks which carry more weight and would not fold as easily.

If you've NEVER seen a manual that promotes supporting the slide out well they do exist. Support is support.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
This might be an older travel trailer issue - you know when trailers were built a bit sturdier but once again...

"SLIDE OUTS: In extended use situations, it is advisable to
add support blocks under the slide room. Do not raise the
room, but just touch the bottom. Also, during prolonged stays
it is advisable to run the room in and out occasionally to ensure
proper lubrication. "

http://www.dutchmen.com/media/5765/2...ers-manual.pdf

page 21 last paragraph.
it also states
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE JACKS STANDS
OR STABILIZER JACKS TO JACK UP THE
TRAILER OR SUPPORT THE FULL WEIGHT OF
THE TRAILER.

no one here is stating to change a tire on a trailer or lift the trailer off the ground with a stabilizer jack.

And if people are going to use the term stabilizer vs support as an argument... I would think a blocked support would do more damage than the light stabilizers seen today as blocks which carry more weight and would not fold as easily.

If you've NEVER seen a manual that promotes supporting the slide out well they do exist. Support is support.
You're citing out-dated information that is 10 years old. Their current manual specifically says NOT to use them.

http://www.dutchmen.com/media/5759/2...ers-manual.pdf

Page 63 Section 10:

Quote:
After-market stabilizer stands must be placed only under chassis frame rails.
Page 105 Section 18:

Quote:
18. Slide-Outs
The slide-outs are designed to provide additional living space during stationary camping. Before operating the slide-out, level and stabilize the
trailer. If the trailer is not level, the slideout room and/or the mechanism may be damaged. Stabilizer jacks help keep the trailer square so the slideout extends/retracts and seals correctly. Be sure stabilizer jacks are placed on a solid ground surface. Piers or supports are not necessary under the slide-out when extended.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #50

and so they have changed . someone said they never saw the support under the slide out in a manual before... it was there
Old 05-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
and so they have changed . someone said they never saw the support under the slide out in a manual before... it was there
Ok, so you got me on a technicality. They are still a bad idea though.

I hope the OP got the advice he wanted. I believe this topic has been thoroughly beat to death.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:23 PM   #52

so do I. i'll still use mine for what the they were invented for though. advice is worth exactly whats charged for it. we all take it or leave it and there are hundreds of posts concerning the pros and cons of supporting or not supporting it.

one thing though - letting air out of tires to reduce bounce is a bad choice.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #53
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
so do I. i'll still use mine for what the they were invented for though. advice is worth exactly whats charged for it. we all take it or leave it and there are hundreds of posts concerning the pros and cons of supporting or not supporting it.

one thing though - letting air out of tires to reduce bounce is a bad choice.
I believe the OP stated his unit was was on a permanent site and was blocked and leveled at four spots along the frame. He felt there was just a small amount of weight being supported by the tires.

I see no reason under these circumstances the air in the tires couldn't be 'let out' or for that matter, the tires removed completely.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #54

then he shouldn't have any bounce its its totally off the ground.

perhaps removing the tires will eliminate the issue.
will be interesting to see.
but then again if it doesn't then he may need more side frame blocking -
like a full foundation.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #55

I have 4 block towers on both sides of the trailer. The a stacked and wood shims to reach the frame. I paid a guy to do it and am not sure how much weight is on them at the moment. This is the second trailer he has done it for me. The first one was blocked the same way and we had the trailer for 4 years. When we had it taken off the lot he had to put air in the tires as they where all flat. We never noticed a difference in stability though. I'm assuming there was plenty of supports and as the air went down the trailer may have put more weight in the blocks but was now fully supported on them.

This picture is the side of the trailer with the two slide outs where we feel movement. As you can see there one one by the far left of the super slide on on the far right of the smaller one and one in the middle of both. I feel like this is a lot of support but we still get movement.

I understand that people say slide out supports are dangerous because of possible shifting of the trailer. But with this many supports and a solid ground is this a major concern?

Thanks agin for everyone help. His is our first TT with slides and I just can't figure out what's going on. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1463093257.019783.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	107688
Ecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #56

Quote:
then he shouldn't have any bounce its its totally off the ground.

perhaps removing the tires will eliminate the issue.
will be interesting to see.
but then again if it doesn't then he may need more side frame blocking -
like a full foundation.

Do you mean all the way around the slide?
Old 05-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #57

bounce in a trailer is caused by springs and tires . no other cause . the more weight you take off the springs and shift to the I-beam the less bounce . take a tt on blocks lifted enough to take tires off ground and no bounce .
IF a person was to jack up with quality jacks in a few good spots and support on the I-beam one could let air out of the tires and set the entire weight of the tt on blocks/jack/ etc you get the point . if you get bounce then you better bail out of the unit as it'll be sliding down a hill lol
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #58

Sounds good. On my next trip down I'm going to let a little bit of air our of the tires so more weight is on the blocks. Hopefully that will do the trick.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #59
Site Team

Are the blocks in the bottom right corner of that picture under the stabilizers? That could be part of it. Put the blocks directly on the frame right next to them and take the stabilizers out of the equation completely.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #60

Yea that's how he set it up. I'll move them.

Tags
slide, slide out