Old 06-29-2009, 01:25 AM   #1

Boy are we green part 3 . . . our first camping weekend

We had our first camping weekend, and a test of ALL systems in our rv.
The weekend started well . . . van pulling 3000 pound trailer. Towed well, the equaliser hitch is great, no concerns.

First day camping . . . all systems go, learning to set up, this is how we learn.

Second day camping . . . starts raining, and raining, and raining. Turns into record rain fall . . . then the power fails in the whole vicinity. Now we get to see how the back up systems work . . .
-had to figure out how to use an inverter for my husbands cpak machine for snoring. Ran it off the 12 volt tv hook up. (battery lasted all night, this was good news)
-realised there is no water, or other electric when power is out! Need to buy a folding water jug, and a back up of bottled water so we can still warm up water on the stove.
-happy that the furnace still worked (on propane i think), but we turned it down because we were concerned it might be draining battery, which we needed for cpak machine.
-one small leak through the skylight (need to figure out repair), no other
leaks. This was good news, as it can't rain any worse than this.
-had to pack up in the rain, but since our last trailer was a tent trailer . . . this seemed like a breeze.

So this first weekend was a big learning curve . . . but overall . . . WE LOVED IT!

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
Head Rambler

Glad things worked out as well as they did. With a new RV, rain is a two edged sword. You hate it's raining but your glad that at least you're getting a chance to see that there was only one small leak. The best way to repair a skylight leak is to remove it and the caulking tape. Then replace the butyl tape, reinstall the skylight, then caulk with Dicor Lap Sealant.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #3

-realised there is no water, or other electric when power is out! Need to buy a folding water jug, and a back up of bottled water so we can still warm up water on the stove.

Am I over looking something in the post? Do you not have a fresh water tank with a 12 volt pump that works off the TT battery like the stove and furnace.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #4

Cat 1956 said . . . "Am I over looking something in the post? Do you not have a fresh water tank with a 12 volt pump that works off the TT battery like the stove and furnace." [/QUOTE]

ladywendolyn . . .
Thats what we thought should happen, but there was no power to the pump, or the matress warmers, or any outlet during the power outage. (The lights were fine) We were able to plug a little power inverter from our car into the 12 volt tv outlet, so that we could run my husbands cpap machine for snoring.

Also the owners manuel told us that the furnace will stop working (on gas) if the battery gets to low to run the furnace alarm. This is some sort of back up I guess . . . is this normal?

Is there a switch or something that we should have pushed to turn the pump etc, over to 12 volt? Is this supposed to be automatic? Please explain . . .

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #5

In my camper as soon as you go into the door right under the kitchen cabinets is a face plate with some switches. One says pump. I can't remember what the other says. You turn that on. Then when you turn on a sink you can hear the pump vibrate and the water comes out...providing you have filled your freshwater tanks.